FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · E-P1 ?

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · E-P1 ?

cogitech wrote:
...I am way to picky and set in my ways.

You ain't seen nothing yet!

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:35 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · E-P1 ?

mortyb wrote:
If ~35mm is a FL you prefer, I'm sure results will be fine. I'm not familiar with that lens.

The Nex-5n with the touch screen is brilliant for MF lenses. Push anywhere on the lcd to magnify, focus, press shutter button to get back, exp.comp. simple with your right thumb. Everything is quick and easy - results are brilliant. I disliked the Nex in the beginning, but I've warmed to it. I understand what you're saying, but it really is a nice platform for alts.

I would likely use the distance scale and use the screen only for composition... I can't imagine touching a screen while taking a photo. But then I have an aversion to anything touch-screen. Damn, i am such an old man. Sorry!

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:37 PM
justruss
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · E-P1 ?

I'd imagine you'd appreciate NEX for peaking alone-- considering MF is your thing.

I think it'd be difficult for you to go from your 5D to m4/3. Too big of a sensor size jump.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · E-P1 ?

Manual focus with MFT is okay, but not great, so I am not sure if this would be a good setup for you. I really enjoy my E-PL3, just a really sweet camera, but if you want to try one, I would strongly recommend getting at least one nice native lens, perhaps the 20/1.7 or one of the 17s, and to use alt glass for longer focal lengths.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:41 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · E-P1 ?

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Paul,

Do you have a preference for shooting style? i.e. optical finder, electronic finder, rear body screen?

Jim

Optical VF all the way, but I don't have my hopes up, obviously, if I want to try mirrorless.

Perhaps I don't want to try mirrorless!

Ideally?

An OM-D E-M5 sized camera body with a 5D sensor and viewfinder, no AF system, 100% silvered mirror....

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:42 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · E-P1 ?

Sounds like a Leica M9 sans EVF, weather sealing, and IBIS.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:44 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · E-P1 ?

justruss wrote:
I'd imagine you'd appreciate NEX for peaking alone-- considering MF is your thing.

I think it'd be difficult for you to go from your 5D to m4/3. Too big of a sensor size jump.

My tendency is to avoid "electronic" solutions to problems created by "electronics".

Ridiculous? Perhaps.

And I agree. When I tried u4/3 the last time I couldn't handle the sensor size thing.

With this one post you have convinced me this idea is stupid. Thank you.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:45 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · E-P1 ?

FlyPenFly wrote:
Sounds like a Leica M9 sans EVF, weather sealing, and IBIS.

Weather-sealing would be great!

Could do without the IBIS and EVF...and ridiculous price.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:49 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · E-P1 ?

BTW. This is not a social experiment, if that's what you are thinking.

I saw an E-P1 for $150 and thought, hmmm... would that work for me?

You've all straightened me out.

I will bring the 5D and old, heavy lenses. Just means I'll have to eat more, is all.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:51 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · E-P1 ?

If someone made a $500 APS-C metal camera with a shutter dial, ISO dial, aperture dial, and EC dial. They would make a lot of money even with just a C3 sensor.

Perhaps the Ricoh GXR with M module is the closest thing we have to that.

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · E-P1 ?

cogitech wrote:
Optical VF all the way, but I don't have my hopes up, obviously, if I want to try mirrorless.

As mentioned in earlier posts, you could try the Fujifilm X100. Its hybrid OVF/EVF is a charm. Plus, it has truly excellent IQ.

Try an X100. You'll love it.

P.S. I often use the X100 and X-Pro 1 for "intimate" situations, usually in low light.

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:17 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · E-P1 ?

jcolwell wrote:
As mentioned in earlier posts, you could try the Fujifilm X100. Its hybrid OVF/EVF is a charm. Plus, it has truly excellent IQ.

Try an X100. You'll love it.

P.S. I often use the X100 and X-Pro 1 for "intimate" situations, usually in low light.

I think you are right. I think I would really enjoy that camera. Somehow that fell off my radar, even in this thread.

When they are going for $200, I'll buy one for sure.

If I was going to spend $800 on a camera right now, oddly enough (maybe not) I would buy yet another 5D.

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · E-P1 ?

cogitech wrote:
I think you are right. I think I would really enjoy that camera. Somehow that fell off my radar, even in this thread.

When they are going for $200, I'll buy one for sure.

Man, you've been out of circulation for too long. I'd hold out for $125.

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:27 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · E-P1 ?

The thing I've been thinking about getting in the $200 range for things that can take photos has been the LX-7.

24mm 3:2 at F1.4 with stabilization is an intriguing proposition.

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:31 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · E-P1 ?

FlyPenFly wrote:
The thing I've been thinking about getting in the $200 range for things that can take photos has been the LX-7.

24mm 3:2 at F1.4 with stabilization is an intriguing proposition.

LX-7?

Panny?

Closer to $400, no?

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:41 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · E-P1 ?

It's $299 or $289 right now.

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:52 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · E-P1 ?

How about a different solution.

It's not alt and it's mot manual but the new Canon 40mm/2.8 STM pancake is a great lens and on a 5D makes a great combo.

Might just fit in a large coat pocket.

Nov 23, 2012 at 08:42 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · E-P1 ?

I disliked NEX-C3 body when I tried it because of the way it handles, but NEX-5N is better (not excellent but definitely better). The controls seem very basic at first but once configured to your choice, can work pretty well. The touch to magnify support is great for manual focusing.

Another one to look into is NX200. It is a much better body to hold than the NEX-5N and has better controls more like the canon with rear and top wheel. You can probably find one in $300 range. The downside is that it isn't suitable for rangefinder lenses due to longer register distance, but obviously you are not using rangefinder lenses on your 5D.

Nov 23, 2012 at 08:58 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · E-P1 ?

Paul, I don't think you'll like it - because its not a 5d.

Seriously, I've read enough of your posts over the years.

Having said that, I do think that m4/3 is very capable, even with MF glass (despite what many say). The new m4/3 lenses are so good though (and so small) that sadly I don't use my MF glass as often any more.

For MF glass the 1.5X crop of the NEX (plus focus peaking) makes the Sony better overall better for MF glass in my view.

Still, m4/3 is stll very good with MF glass - I took this today with the Zeiss C/Y 85 2.8 wide open on the OM-D. Sorry for posting the large size, but those who claim that old MF glass isn't very good wide open on m4/3 are full of shi#......

http://brownphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Autumn-12/i-5FjKmbw/0/X2/PB230065-13-X2.jpg

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:04 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · E-P1 ?

Paul, the E-330 was 4/3s, not micro. Are you sure you've got m4/3s adapters?

I used to own the E-P1 and 2, and I'm thinking if you go with either one of them, this will be a very short-lived experiment. Neither of those cameras offer a significant enough advantage size and weight-wise over the 5D to make carrying them around (with a couple of FF lenses) worth giving up what you're accustom to on the 5D, in both IQ and the way in which you use the camera.

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:44 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.