FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · E-P1 ?

cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E-P1 ?

Hi all,

I am considering dipping my toe into the mirrorless world. As many of you know, I am a long-time fan of the 5D, and FF in general, and I prefer to use manual focus for everything.

The point of a mirrorless camera for me would be something to throw in the bag with a couple small primes when I am out in the bush hunting, hiking, snowshoeing, etc.

It will mostly be used for landscape, maybe some macro.

I already have an OM-u4/3 adapter and am M42-u4/3 adapter, from a long time ago when I owned an E-330 briefly.

My Tamron SP 17/3.5 has an OM adaptall on it, and I have the OM 28/3.5. I think I have a few other OM mount 3rd-party lenses laying around, but I have not looked in my lens cabinet in many months...

Long story short, would I be happy with an E-P1 for these purposes?

Nov 23, 2012 at 05:57 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E-P1 ?

E-P2 is about $50 bucks more... advantages?

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:02 PM
kahren
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E-P1 ?

imo if you want to use alt glass get a nex, if you want m43 the native glass is what makes it shine. Pixel density is a bit too high on m43 for alt glass made for ff and it is apparent in the pics especially if you use your glass close to wide open.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:04 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E-P1 ?

My experiences with NEX-C3 (issued to me by my employer) makes me dream of industrial shredders every time I use it.

Perhaps I will dislike any of these cameras, but I don't know...

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:09 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · E-P1 ?

If you want to save a bit of money, I would get the E-PL3 instead of the earlier models. The E-PL3 has the same sensor and AF (!) as the E-P3, and takes the same viewfinder attachments, it is just a bit smaller and simpler. I really enjoy mine. The E-P3 sensor is really good for colour and contrast, but is lacking somewhat in high ISO and DR compared to the OM-D E-M5.

The Olympus menus are large and confusing, but have the property that you can sit down with the manual ONCE, work your way through all the settings, and customise them to your taste, and then rarely ever touch them again. I use the handy quick setting screen when I want to fiddle with almost anything. Take a look at the respective DPReview pages for more on this topic.

As was already mentioned, the MFT cameras actually have a really compelling native lens lineup. I have the 12/25/45 trinity, and will probably add the 60 Macro at some point.

Edited on Nov 23, 2012 at 06:14 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:10 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · E-P1 ?

Be sure to check out max shutter speed, I remember there were some differences between them.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:13 PM
kahren
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · E-P1 ?

cogitech wrote:
My experiences with NEX-C3 (issued to me by my employer) makes me dream of industrial shredders every time I use it.

Perhaps I will dislike any of these cameras, but I don't know...

if you haven't used an ep1 yet i don't see how it would be any better, maybe only worse, at least to me.
not sure exactly what you disliked about the c3 maybe extrapolate on that

this comes from someone who has owned, ep1, g1, epl1, gf1, gf2, epl3, nex3, c3, 5n and used g3 and gx1
i like the epl3 the most because of simpler design and tilty screen.
if i were to get m43 right now i would get epl5 for the new sensor.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:16 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · E-P1 ?

carstenw wrote:
If you want to save a bit of money, I would get the E-PL3 instead of the earlier models. The E-PL3 has the same sensor and AF as the E-P3, and takes the same viewfinder attachments, it is just a bit smaller and simpler. I really enjoy mine. The E-P3 sensor is really good for colour and contrast, but is lacking somewhat in high ISO and DR compared to the OM-D E-M5.

AF is a non-issue for me. I would prefer to find one with broken AF and a huge discount.

Hmmm...

E-P1 = $150
E-PL3 = $350
E-M5 = $1000

I appreciate your feedback (and kahren's) but I am already questioning myself on this...

I have tried so many "small" cameras and the only one I ever truly enjoyed using was my mom's old Olympus Trip 35.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:18 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · E-P1 ?

carstenw wrote:
The Olympus menus are large and confusing, but have the property that you can sit down with the manual ONCE, work your way through all the settings, and customise them to your taste, and then rarely ever touch them again. I use the handy quick setting screen when I want to fiddle with almost anything. Take a look at the respective DPReview pages for more on this topic.

As was already mentioned, the MFT cameras actually have a really compelling native lens lineup. I have the 12/25/45 trinity, and will probably add the 60 Macro at some point.

Interesting feedback.

I should have mentioned that I have no intention of buying native lenses. Whatever lenses I have that I can stick on it, that's what it'll get.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:20 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · E-P1 ?

Personally I'd never go with u4/3 for alt glass, the 2x is just too much. That being said, I really liked the files and output from my E-P1 (with Pana 20/1.7).

Edited on Nov 23, 2012 at 06:23 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:23 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · E-P1 ?

Maybe the NEX-5N is better then, with focus peaking and such...

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:23 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · E-P1 ?

kahren wrote:
if you haven't used an ep1 yet i don't see how it would be any better, maybe only worse, at least to me.
not sure exactly what you disliked about the c3 maybe extrapolate on that

this comes from someone who has owned, ep1, g1, epl1, gf1, gf2, epl3, nex3, c3, 5n and used g3 and gx1
i like the epl3 the most because of simpler design and tilty screen.
if i were to get m43 right now i would get epl5 for the new sensor.

Well, I certainly will defer to your experience. You've tried them all, it seems.

I don't want to get into a NEX-bashing thing; suffice it to say that I hate the feel of it in my hands, I hate the fact that the battery dies if you leave it sitting in the camera for a week, I hate the menu system and controls. Honestly, my reaction to using it is rage. I don't like to feel that way when I take photos. It is not the only camera which has this effect on me.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:24 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · E-P1 ?

mortyb wrote:
Personally I'd never go with u4/3 for alt glass, the 2x is just too much. That being said, I really liked the files and output from my E-P1 (with Pana 20/1.7).

What if the Tamron 17/3.5 lived on it? Central resolution on my copy, even wide open, is quite excellent.

Is that something you could live with (ignoring the f3.5) ?

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:26 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · E-P1 ?

carstenw wrote:
Maybe the NEX-5N is better then, with focus peaking and such...

Too much money, and if it feels and acts anything like a C3, I will be tempted to use it as target practice.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:28 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · E-P1 ?

Weird, a real OEM battery shouldn't die on you like that if it's not on.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:29 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · E-P1 ?

As you can all tell, I am way to picky and set in my ways.

It's terrible, but any camera that isn't a 5D (or damned close to it) nearly gives me a conniption.

Maybe I should just bring the T1i along... I dunno.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:31 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · E-P1 ?

FlyPenFly wrote:
Weird, a real OEM battery shouldn't die on you like that if it's not on.

If I take it out of the camera, it is fine for months. Leave it in and it is dead (very, very dead) in under a week.

And yes, that is with the camera powered off.

4 other managers have the same camera issued to them. All of them do it.

Edited on Nov 23, 2012 at 06:34 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:32 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · E-P1 ?

cogitech wrote:
What if the Tamron 17/3.5 lived on it? Central resolution on my copy, even wide open, is quite excellent.

Is that something you could live with (ignoring the f3.5) ?

If ~35mm is a FL you prefer, I'm sure results will be fine. I'm not familiar with that lens.

The Nex-5n with the touch screen is brilliant for MF lenses. Push anywhere on the lcd to magnify, focus, press shutter button to get back, exp.comp. simple with your right thumb. Everything is quick and easy - results are brilliant. I disliked the Nex in the beginning, but I've warmed to it. I understand what you're saying, but it really is a nice platform for alts.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:33 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · E-P1 ?

Maybe get an X100 or a X-E1 or Leica X1? They have more traditional controls.

The NEX menu system is terrible but once you set it up correctly you don't have to go in too often after that unless it's to erase the memory card or do in camera HDR.

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · E-P1 ?

cogitech wrote:
I should have mentioned that I have no intention of buying native lenses. Whatever lenses I have that I can stick on it, that's what it'll get.

Hi Paul,

Do you have a preference for shooting style? i.e. optical finder, electronic finder, rear body screen?

Jim

2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.