Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Archive 2012 · Canon User: Rented D600
  
 
SchnellerGT
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon User: Rented D600


I have been thinking about making the switch for a while now, so I decided to invest about $225 at LensRentals.com and rented the D600 + 24-70/2.8G combo. I then flew down to SRQ and spent the weekend with my best friend and his family, visiting Disney, Kennedy, etc.

In short, I was blown away:

-Consistent, TACK-sharp focus
-Perfect metering across the entire frame (I like Matrix metering!)
-The size/weight of the combo
-The ergonomics of the D600, especially its two mode dials at left of the viewfinder
-Continuous shooting rate was also quite satisfactory
-Ease of the pop-up flash when needed in a pinch (even though its not optimal for most settings)

Coming from a 5DII, my only gripe is the menu layout/design. Canon does have the edge here. I also admit that I did a side-by-side comparison D600 and the 5DIII at local camera store and the body build quality of the 5DIII does seem superior. Something about the fit and finish and the way it comes together. I also have a feeling that this "fit and finish" also applies to the Canon lenses. There's something extra solid feeling about them. The question is, is this "feeling" worth the substantial price premium for Canon equipment? Nikon now is the value leader in my opinion.

I sit here about ready to sell all my Canon gear; my "Nikon" plan would include the D600, 24-70/2.8G, and the 85/1.8G, and SB700. (I would desperately miss my Canon 135L.)

BUT, I have a problem.

All of the websites I visit, be it Adorama, Amazon, etc. I am seeing all sorts of negative and 1-star reviews of the D600 due to its chronic dust/oil/shutter problem that Roger from LensRentals reported on back a few weeks ago. While the copy I rented was fine, it sure is something that gives me pause before running off to sell my Canon equipment. Had it not been for these repeated negative reviews found on multiple sites, I think I would have jumped ship this week. What do you Nikon users here think about it?



Nov 21, 2012 at 03:04 PM
huddy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon User: Rented D600


The dust issue is troubling to me. IMO, if you really like the D600, wait for a couple of months to see how the issue gets sorted out. The superior fit and finish of the 5Diii is not surprising. The D600 is a consumer level body while the 5Diii is a pro workhorse. The D700 or D800 would be more comparable in build quality. I will go out on a limb and say that the the Canon 6D will likely feel similar to the D600 in terms of build quality.


Nov 21, 2012 at 03:13 PM
S Dilworth
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon User: Rented D600


huddy wrote:
I will go out on a limb and say that the the Canon 6D will likely feel similar to the D600 in terms of build quality.


Unfortunately, it doesnít quite. The EOS 6D feels distinctly tighter and tougher than the D600. Of course thereís more to real-world durability than feel in the hand, but this generationís Canons definitely have an edge in apparent quality.

The D800 is also a bit of letdown compared to the tough-feeling D700 (and D300, for that matter). Not that itís bad Ė Iím sure itís very tough inside Ė†but it doesnít feel like a $3k camera to me.

For lenses, it depends. The f/2.8 Nikkor zooms are as good as it gets these days (again, for apparent construction quality). Materials, fit, and finish, are all top notch. Below that, the Nikkors fall off a cliff but never get truly dire, whereas the Canon lenses populate the full spectrum of build quality from superb to junk with sprue marks.

Regarding the sensor contamination problem with the D600, Iíd expect Nikon to sort this out very quickly. Worth waiting for that, in my opinion. Sensor dirt is a big enough issue at the best of times!



Nov 21, 2012 at 03:40 PM
jim allison
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon User: Rented D600


I switched, cleaned the sensor and I'm very happy. This is no big deal. You need to remember that half or more of the people leaving negative reviews on the internet DNWTFTTA( Don't know what the...............about)


Nov 21, 2012 at 04:18 PM
ChrisDM
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon User: Rented D600


Not to negate the D600 sensor dust issue, but have the people that complain about this issue ever used sensor swabs? It takes about 10 seconds to clean a sensor properly.


Nov 21, 2012 at 04:23 PM
vchowdhary
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon User: Rented D600


S Dilworth wrote:
Unfortunately, it doesnít quite. The EOS 6D feels distinctly tighter and tougher than the D600. Of course thereís more to real-world durability than feel in the hand, but this generationís Canons definitely have an edge in apparent quality.

The D800 is also a bit of letdown compared to the tough-feeling D700 (and D300, for that matter). Not that itís bad Ė Iím sure itís very tough inside Ė†but it doesnít feel like a $3k camera to me.

For lenses, it depends. The f/2.8 Nikkor zooms are as good as it gets these days (again, for apparent construction quality). Materials, fit, and
...Show more


My experience was exactly the opposite for the 600 and 6D.

On the prime lens front, the Canon 85L II, 24L II and 35L did feel quite a bit better built than the Nikon equivalent lenses.

The 24-70 from Nikon is a tank, the old Canon 24-70 felt poor in comparison (can't comment on the current one).

Similarly the 17-55 Nikon 2.8 is better than the Canon variant.




Nov 21, 2012 at 04:33 PM
Guari
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon User: Rented D600


non issue, its like expecting to buy a car and to never have to clean it..

my wife has shot about 3000 frames with her D600 and we see no spots..



Nov 21, 2012 at 04:37 PM
brett maxwell
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon User: Rented D600


I agree that Nikon has the superior value proposition right now. For portrait or landscape the D600 at $2k and D800 refurbs at $2500 can't be beat. The dynamic range of both is a game-changer, and the resolution (d800 especially) is amazing if you've got the computer and lens to handle it.

Then for the sports, wedding, or other high-volume crowd you can get a used D3 in nice condition for under $2k, that's crazy. Or a D3s for $3500.

Canon is still great, not knocking them. I would switch back to Canon if they made just 2-3 changes, but none of them seem likely.



Nov 21, 2012 at 04:45 PM
riotshield
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon User: Rented D600


I would probably wait for the 6D (it's already out in Japan) and compare it to the D600. You would lose a chunk of change selling your old gear and rebuying it. Even though I prefer Sony sensors to Canon's, there are a couple Canon lenses (17-40L, 135L) that I would miss.


Nov 21, 2012 at 04:55 PM
VetraLens
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon User: Rented D600


Schneller, thanks for your post. I'd read both of your previous threads about this topic and was hoping to hear if/when you made a change.

How do you feel about the AF-Point spread? That seems to be one of the design "flaws" that's been getting the most attention. Do you feel they are not spread as wide as compared to the 5DII? If so, did you have any issue with them?



Nov 21, 2012 at 05:03 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



vchowdhary
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon User: Rented D600


VetraLens wrote:
Schneller, thanks for your post. I'd read both of your previous threads about this topic and was hoping to hear if/when you made a change.

How do you feel about the AF-Point spread? That seems to be one of the design "flaws" that's been getting the most attention. Do you feel they are not spread as wide as compared to the 5DII? If so, did you have any issue with them?



Having used the 5D II and D600, the points are about the same from a spread perspective. However, there are more of them on the D600 and they are more accurate as soon as you move beyond the center point.

Compared to a D800/D700 though they are slightly less spread out on the periphery.



Nov 21, 2012 at 05:22 PM
SchnellerGT
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon User: Rented D600


vchowdhary wrote:
Having used the 5D II and D600, the points are about the same from a spread perspective. However, there are more of them on the D600 and they are more accurate as soon as you move beyond the center point.

Compared to a D800/D700 though they are slightly less spread out on the periphery.


I echo these sentiments. As someone who will continue to focus/recompose, the outer points aren't a huge deal but the abilities of that center point are key. Comparing the center point of the D600 vs. 5DII, the Nikon wins hands down.



Nov 21, 2012 at 06:28 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon User: Rented D600


Yup! The D600 is a piece of junk. The images suck too.








Nov 21, 2012 at 06:30 PM
SchnellerGT
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon User: Rented D600


Guari wrote:
non issue, its like expecting to buy a car and to never have to clean it..

my wife has shot about 3000 frames with her D600 and we see no spots..


Sorry. It is an issue and its widespread. I don't have the time while at work shooting to stop and carefully pull out the swabs. This and the fact that the examples I have seen have been pretty bad.

At this point, all I want from Nikon is an acknowledgement and a planned fix, then I am sold. Canon did the same with its light-leak issue with the 5DIII.



Nov 21, 2012 at 06:30 PM
lexdiamonnyc
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon User: Rented D600


wait, people are passing on a camera because of 'dust on the sensor'....?? WTFBBQ is wrong with you people?!?!? that is hands down the dumbest thing I've heard all month, and I live in NYC where people have diarrhea of the mouth.....

just clean the damned thing, my 7yr old daughter can do it with supervision, a grown adult should be able to do it blindfolded.



Nov 21, 2012 at 07:20 PM
ruhikant
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon User: Rented D600


lexdiamonnyc wrote:
wait, people are passing on a camera because of 'dust on the sensor'....?? WTFBBQ is wrong with you people?!?!? that is hands down the dumbest thing I've heard all month, and I live in NYC where people have diarrhea of the mouth.....

just clean the damned thing, my 7yr old daughter can do it with supervision, a grown adult should be able to do it blindfolded.

if the dust comes back after few shots...without even changing the lens?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_cY30lEMv8o

A quote from Naturescape.net:
"There appears to be some sort of gap in the mirror box only on the D600 that is causing this from what I read elsewhere"


Edited on Nov 21, 2012 at 08:08 PM · View previous versions



Nov 21, 2012 at 07:48 PM
zesto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon User: Rented D600


S Dilworth wrote:
The D800 is also a bit of letdown compared to the tough-feeling D700 (and D300, for that matter). Not that itís bad Ė Iím sure itís very tough inside Ė†but it doesnít feel like a $3k camera to me.


I can find no difference in build quality between the D700 and D800. I prefer the feel of the D800 more though because it's slightly rounder and I have small hands and the grip feels better to me.





Nov 21, 2012 at 07:56 PM
vchowdhary
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon User: Rented D600


The dust in sensor is a concern if it comes back within a day of cleaning without even changing a lens.


Nov 21, 2012 at 08:16 PM
Guari
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon User: Rented D600


SchnellerGT wrote:
Sorry. It is an issue and its widespread. I don't have the time while at work shooting to stop and carefully pull out the swabs. This and the fact that the examples I have seen have been pretty bad.

At this point, all I want from Nikon is an acknowledgement and a planned fix, then I am sold. Canon did the same with its light-leak issue with the 5DIII.


Not trying to be a d£$ck or something, really not

but you will wait for a long time. It's been since March 2012 when the D800 was released. Plenty of reported AF left focus problems. Much more serious than dust on a sensor. And it's november and there has been 0 acknowledgement from Nikon about the problem, nor will there ever be. It's not the japanese way. However, if you have the problem, send it in and they will repair it.

If dust on a sensor really scares you, then wait six months until Nikon cleans up whatever is causing the dust in the sensor. You can be sure that they are aware of the problem and will quietly sort it out.

At the end, its your call and money.



Nov 21, 2012 at 09:26 PM
DTOB
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon User: Rented D600


I highly doubt it is actually 'dust'. Some people report oil spots. If that is the case, just let the camera get it out of its system, clean it, then sleep well at night.

I wouldn't worry so much.



Nov 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
1
       2       3       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password