Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D2H First Image Black

wjlapier
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D2H First Image Black

Hey, I purchased a D2H for those daylight times I'm shooting my kids in sports. I don't need the resolution of newer cameras. I have my D700 for when I go indoors or I'm losing daylight.

I'm curious about the black first image. Is this something Nikon fixed with these cameras? I was aware this camera did this before I purchased it. Is it really a big deal? I might send it in since I'm not shooting anything now. Any idea on the cost to fix it?

Thanks.

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D2H First Image Black

Hey Bill, it's not a big deal. As long as it keeps shooting after that first blank shot, you're okay.

You can send it in, but if it works... just keep and use it.

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:04 PM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D2H First Image Black

My D2h had the same problem and it was over when they put a new shutter in it. The camera was away for another failure, broken aperture lever due to a new lens without the smal screw that prevents rotating the lens to much at disconnecting, so when the camera was open when they found the shutter was and I only had to pay for the shutter.

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:51 PM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D2H First Image Black

I got my D2H used a bit over 5 years ago. It had the first image hiccup when I recieved it. I've put around 40k on it in these 5 years. It still does it, nothing changed, no progression to worse problems. I hit the shutter button twice upon powering it up to get past it. The D2H sometimes has a little odd color reproduction. It's much improved with custom color profiles done with the colorchecker passport. It may be outdated, but it's still a pleasure to shoot, and it's 4.1mp goes further than you may expect.

Nov 21, 2012 at 04:13 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D2H First Image Black

I used to have that issue -- and it was usually just before the battery was about to go dead.

Nov 21, 2012 at 04:53 AM
barisaxer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D2H First Image Black

mine has had it for years good after the one blank until off and then same thing. Just use it.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D2H First Image Black

Hey, thanks for all the re-assuring replies. Can't wait to give it a try.

4MP--I rarely print above 8x10. Mostly send images to FB for friend and family to see.

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:00 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D2H First Image Black

Yeah, and it is a machine gun @8fps with a fast VF blackout time (37ms). It really is a pleasure to shoot. Files are easy to handle too. Handles AFD lenses as fast as the D1H you sold me a few years ago

These were shot with the D2H with the AFD 85/1.4:

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:23 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D2H First Image Black

I missed the D1h so much I bought another. I love the files from it, but WB is too finicky, even under partly cloudy skies.

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:27 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D2H First Image Black

D2H was my first Pro body and just fell in love with it. I am sure you have seen many examples and hope you do not mind me posting one. I think you will love it if you have plenty of light.

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:14 AM
kinconorb
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D2H First Image Black

Would the first image ERR issues be grounds to argue a slight refund of say $40-50? Considering the camera was purchased from KEH with no mention of the issues.

Also does anyone know if Nikon will service D2H bodies for free to fix the issues - being that this seems quite common .

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:00 AM
84FJ60
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D2H First Image Black

Mine had this problem up until it died after 105,000 clicks. From what I understand, Nikon no longer fixes the meter issue under warranty (which they did at one time). The shutter issue never had a free fix from what I understand, and I haven't heard of any discounts in sale price for this universally known issue (first shot black frame).

David - a Colorado Nikonian

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:42 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password