Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hockey from the stands

pbraymond
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hockey from the stands

Hi there
Went to my first hockey game, was high in the stands with company, but tried my hand at shooting anyway. Looked at the other hockey shots in the forum, looks like ice level is the place to be, though some of the pics I had interested me enough to ask the following questions. C&C or suggestions welcome, I don't normally shoot sports but enjoyed the evening shooting, and I'm always wanting to learn more. Questions below each pic.

Ray

Shows anticipation of the puck drop? (I don't like the ref's leg either)

Deliberate slow shutter speed to convey action. Legit or waste of time?

Does not having the puck in the picture matter?

Does having the puck seemingly out of place with the action matter?

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:24 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hockey from the stands

I like slow shutter speeds with hockey. Anytime I do it, I will take anywhere from 50 to 100 slow shutter shots and if I get one great one I am happy... But it appears to me that in your second shot you were not panning at the right pace to capture the players moving a bit sharper. I do however love their reflection in the glass....which kind of makes up for the fact that they are going away from you.

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:00 AM
pbraymond
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hockey from the stands

Carl Auer wrote:
I like slow shutter speeds with hockey. Anytime I do it, I will take anywhere from 50 to 100 slow shutter shots and if I get one great one I am happy... But it appears to me that in your second shot you were not panning at the right pace to capture the players moving a bit sharper. I do however love their reflection in the glass....which kind of makes up for the fact that they are going away from you.

Thanks for the feedback Carl, already learned couple of things, such as the players are moving away from me, which lessens the impact of the photo. I had some other slow shutter shots that tracked OK, but it movement was such that only a small portion of the player remained sharp. Like below, the pan worked well with the helmet, but everything else blurs, and it did not capture much player interaction.

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:44 AM
kris416
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hockey from the stands

Hi Ray,

To all your questions, I'd say it depends. Having the puck in the picture is generally more sought after by many people. However there are a lot of non-puck shots that can be excellent (body check, player closeups etc)

I personally don't like the slow shutter speeds because too much is blurry. But that's just my opinion.

Nov 22, 2012 at 05:34 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hockey from the stands

kris416 wrote:
Hi Ray,

To all your questions, I'd say it depends. Having the puck in the picture is generally more sought after by many people. However there are a lot of non-puck shots that can be excellent (body check, player closeups etc)

I personally don't like the slow shutter speeds because too much is blurry. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback, Kris. I am looking forward to additional opps to try my hand at hockey again.

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:25 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password