New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon M button

3iron
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon M button

My 1DX has a M button [not to be confused with the M-Fn button] and I can not find anything in the operators manual what it is used for.
Can anyone help me with this? The location is just above the depth of field button.
Thanks for looking and best wishes.

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon M button

Have a look at page 18 of the manual. It identifies this button (there are two of them) as Multi-function button 2, and Vertical-grip Multi-function button 2. It can me assigned the functions shown for M-Fn2 on page 339.

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:21 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon M button

DO NOT touch the M button. If you do, your camera will Metabolize all the pictures you've taken.

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:35 PM
3iron
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon M button

jaybird; thanks for the advice, too late, it already self destructed.
jcolwell; thanks to you as well, I suspected that was what it was for, but, at least for me, I was having trouble determining for sure.
Best wishes to you all.

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:48 PM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon M button

jaybird555 wrote:
DO NOT touch the M button. If you do, your camera will Metabolize all the pictures you've taken.

Which reminds me...remember when the hi-beam switch was a button on the floor to the left of the brake pedal? Well when I was 4 or 6 years old my father warned me sternly to never, ever, press that button on the floor because the car would never run again.

Man...I never drove at night until I was 34 years old and they put the hi-beam switch on the steering column.

(sorry)

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:11 PM
3iron
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon M button

Chris; that's too much, . I do remember that switch though

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:29 PM
Chumma
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon M button

Best post of the year!

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:19 PM
rachelsdad
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon M button

Chris Tylko wrote:
Which reminds me...remember when the hi-beam switch was a button on the floor to the left of the brake pedal? Well when I was 4 or 6 years old my father warned me sternly to never, ever, press that button on the floor because the car would never run again.

Man...I never drove at night until I was 34 years old and they put the hi-beam switch on the steering column.

(sorry)

My dad being a James Bond type guy told my brother and I that the switch as an ejection seat switch and that if either my brother or I misbehaved he could just step on the switch and we would be blasted out of the car. It worked too until the time I got pissed at my brother who was still in the back seat and decided to get rid of him and stepped on the switch. I was pissed off when nothing happened!

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:35 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon M button

rachelsdad wrote:
My dad being a James Bond type guy told my brother and I that the switch as an ejection seat switch and that if either my brother or I misbehaved he could just step on the switch and we would be blasted out of the car. It worked too until the time I got pissed at my brother who was still in the back seat and decided to get rid of him and stepped on the switch. I was pissed off when nothing happened!

Did you check the fuse located behind the steering column ? (this is getting deep!!)

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon M button

Boy! Talk about old geezers, oh wait. I remember that switch. Anyone ever own a car that you turned the key and then pressed the accelerator and starter pedal on the floor at the same time to start?

- windshield wipers that stopped when you accelerated
- tires that bumped when first driven on a cold morning
- only AM radio ( if it had a radio)
- no AC available
- 3 speed on the floor was standard on all models
- you had to pull the chock out to start when the engine was cold
- ahhhhhh to good ol' days

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon M button

While we are well off the subject; When I worked in the sugar industry we had an old italian farmer who would not let his son drive the tractor "until he was old enough". The son was 64.

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:37 PM
Ed Porter
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon M button

Mickey wrote:
Boy! Talk about old geezers, oh wait. I remember that switch. Anyone ever own a car that you turned the key and then pressed the accelerator and starter pedal on the floor at the same time to start?

- windshield wipers that stopped when you accelerated
- tires that bumped when first driven on a cold morning
- only AM radio ( if it had a radio)
- no AC available
- 3 speed on the floor was standard on all models
- you had to pull the chock out to start when the engine was cold
- ahhhhhh to good ol' days

Dang.....I am getting old.

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:39 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon M button

The M button sharpens up the shutter response and increases the burst speed, stiffening the mirror box spring, and of course doubling the power sent to the sensor for increased sensitivity and faster transfer from the buffer to the memory card.

Canon is currently in a legal battle against BMW for the use of M button.

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:00 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon M button

I learned to drive in a '49 Studebaker Champion when I was 10 - three on the tree, high beams was the button on the floor, and the starter was a similar button under the clutch pedal. I got to start the car and back it out of the garage when I was even younger than 10, and one time I neglected to assure that it was in neutral and tried to start it by stepping on the starter button without using the clutch pedal; it was in first, and I managed to do a bit of damage to the back wall of the garage. Boy, would I like to have a way-back machine and take a modern car to Santa Clara Valley, and the rest of northern California, in the fifties!

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:06 PM
3iron
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon M button

This is more entertaining than 3 cats in a sack. I remember those cars. Had a 56 caddy with all the auto/neat stuff todays cars have except the GPS. We really havent progressed.
Now back to the original question...........can someone help me, what was the question?

Nov 21, 2012 at 09:29 AM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon M button

How about auto transmission with push buttons on the dash?
I remember the dimmer button on the floor, three on the tree, the old vans with the engine between the front seats, I used to sit on it as a kid. Before seat belts were a law, long before.

Nov 21, 2012 at 09:43 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.