Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

dsjtecserv
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

I previously posted some images of the Hills Creek Pond that feeds one branch of Hills Creek, in Pocahontas County, West Virginia. A few hundred yards downstream Hills Creek tumbles off the Allegheny Crest in a series of three waterfalls. The upper is nondescript, and the middle is OK but not elegant, while the lowest, and highest (63 ft) is a jewel. I was there a little before peak this fall, so the tree colors are more of a punctuation mark than dominant. The weather was alternating between direct sunlight and clouds. I got lucky when there was a brief period of dimmed sunlight with blue sky behind, which enabled this wide angle vertical view of the scene. Below that are some others, with different lighting and framing.

Comments and suggestions would be welcome...

Dave

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:15 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Nice work Dave, the second is my pick.
Douglas

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:19 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #3 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Very nice set! #2 is my favorite as well: a well balanced composition, and that bit of blue at the top really sets off the warm hues below. It's great to see waterfall photos look so good with a blue sky overhead.

Nov 19, 2012 at 05:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Hey Dave,

What a cool looking waterfall. You got a nice set of shots here. I think #2 and 3 are my favorites. But all of them are really nicely composed and shot.

Jim

Nov 19, 2012 at 06:51 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Nice imaging, Dave.

Please consider posting one image of a scene that you feel is your best representation of it rather that four that are so similar.

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:00 PM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #6 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Very nice set Dave, I'm always happy to see variations, especially #3 that gives a great broader view of the area
cheers Andrew

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:35 PM
quickking

p.1 #7 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Nice shots Dave! I've been once to the same falls. What lens did you use if I may ask? It must have been a pretty wide angle lens if these pics are from the observation platform.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Nice set Dave!

I like 2 for the larger view and 3 for the tighter view!

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM
squirl033
• •
p.1 #9 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

these are all gorgeous, but i'm gonna buck the trend... #1 is my fave. the colors, the composition, this one's a real wall-hanger.

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:17 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #10 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I guess it was a good thing I posted some variations. I had concluded that I liked #1 the best, because of the non-traditional composition and the softer but still bright light. I'm surprised to see that more people like #2, and even the panorama. Very interesting. Rocky, glad you see it the same as me!

Kevin, these are all from the observation platform. It gives such a good angle there isn't much temptation to go looking for a better vantage point. Numbers 3 and 4 were taken with the Canon 24-105 at 24 mm; #3 is a four-position panorama. Numbers 1 and 2 were taken with the Canon 17-40 at 17 mm. All were with a 5DII.

Dave

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

barrye
• •
p.1 #11 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

All these are great shots. I like the first one because the layer of rocks draws the eye to the falls. Great shot!

Barry

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:15 PM
mwalrod
• •
p.1 #12 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Great series, especially 2 and 3.

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:05 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #13 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Thanks Barry and Mark. Barry, yes, that was one of the things that drew me to try that composition. Glad if worked for you!

Dave

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:04 AM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

All excellent, David. The #1 and #2 are my top choices.

Cheers,
Ed

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:45 PM
ffmitch

p.1 #15 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Awesome shots! Was the trail / stairs to the bottom repaired or did you have to hike over the hill? The last time I was there the park service had closed the trail.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM
jessfindlay

p.1 #16 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Very nice David! #1 is my top choice, the soft light and colour palette are fantastic.

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:55 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Another vote for 2nd. Very well composed and the subtle sunlight + a bit of blue sky are really something special here.

Nov 25, 2012 at 08:55 AM
M.P.R.
• •
p.1 #18 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

All nice, but like the framing of the first one best, because of the orange leaves, and nice bit of blue sky. It just works, very pleasing to the eye.

Frank

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #19 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Thank you, everyone, I appreciate your comments. Interesting how the first two appeal to different people. Eric, I was there two years ago right after the boardwalk was destroyed by the storm, but it has been fixed now.

Dave

Nov 25, 2012 at 01:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #20 · Lower Falls of Hills Creek

Great location. The first would be my choice. Something about the light hitting the leaves. Magic.
Fred

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:42 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password