Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · DIII Vball Championship - Univ St Thomas def Calvin

Rick VB
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DIII Vball Championship - Univ St Thomas def Calvin

These are from the DIII women's volleyball championship on Saturday night between the University of St. Thomas and Calvin College. There were more than 3500 people in attendance which was a new record crowd for a DIII volleyball championship. Calvin college is located about 30 miles from the Hope college campus where the match was held so probably more than 3000 of the fans were there for Calvin. Calvin took the first 2 sets and it looked like it was going to be over quick, but St Thomas took 3 sets in a row and the championship.

All shot with the Canon 1D again at ISO 1600, but this time I did not do any noise reduction on the images.

Thanks for looking

1. Part of the Calvin student section.

4. Things were going Calvins way early.

Nov 18, 2012 at 06:47 PM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DIII Vball Championship - Univ St Thomas def Calvin

5-8

Nov 18, 2012 at 06:48 PM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DIII Vball Championship - Univ St Thomas def Calvin

9-12

Nov 18, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DIII Vball Championship - Univ St Thomas def Calvin

Sweet. Having shot these ladies during regular season, it's nice to see how they look with someone else's eye.

I cannot believe they pulled out the victory. Down 2-set to the No. 1 team who had only lost twice and barely lost more than one set in any of their matches all season. I wanted a bit during the second set and I thought it was going to be a sweep.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DIII Vball Championship - Univ St Thomas def Calvin

Caleb, it really looked like it was over for UST after the first 2 sets. The crowd was amazingly loud rooting for Calvin and for UST to get the momentum and hold it was really impressive.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DIII Vball Championship - Univ St Thomas def Calvin

Rick VB wrote:
Caleb, it really looked like it was over for UST after the first 2 sets. The crowd was amazingly loud rooting for Calvin and for UST to get the momentum and hold it was really impressive.

The part of the second set I watched, middle to late, it looked like Calvin was about 100% and St. Thomas was about 85% percent. They just weren't reacting to the power of Calvin spikes and then not able to play close to the net for when they just dumped it over the net. A bit like the opposite of when I watched dominate other teams earlier this season.

I'm not surprised that they of all teams pulled out the victory, but I'm surprised they kept the poise that they did because not many teams could do that. I went to see "Flight" last night and I almost wish I had stayed and watched this match instead.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM
shad0w19

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DIII Vball Championship - Univ St Thomas def Calvin

Very nice series, #3 is my favorite.

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:52 PM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DIII Vball Championship - Univ St Thomas def Calvin

Thanks Shadow. I appreciate the comments.

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:52 PM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DIII Vball Championship - Univ St Thomas def Calvin

Images look good Rick, just the WB seems to be a little all over the place...

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DIII Vball Championship - Univ St Thomas def Calvin

Thanks Geoffrey, I admit to being really frustrated with the WB on this set. I started out shooting with the WB set to fluorescent and switched to AWB toward the end and didn't feel either one was getting me where I wanted to be. In processing I try to set a white point using the white dropper selection in levels adjustment. If I shoot here again I plan on either setting a custom white balance or shooting in raw until I can get it nailed down.

Nov 20, 2012 at 01:26 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password