Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

I have a 2011 17" MacBook pro running Snow Leopard and I am considering upgrading to Mountain Lion. Since I don't really have to do so just yet I am seeking opinions from those who had no choice (or others) as to whether Mountain Lion has revealed any problems with photography applications such as Ps or Lr or with printing or communicating with cameras, etc.

cheers
- Alan

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM
zquaratella
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

I use PS with Mountain Lion, CS5, no problems!

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:40 AM
veroman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Alan321 wrote:
I have a 2011 17" MacBook pro running Snow Leopard and I am considering upgrading to Mountain Lion. Since I don't really have to do so just yet I am seeking opinions from those who had no choice (or others) as to whether Mountain Lion has revealed any problems with photography applications such as Ps or Lr or with printing or communicating with cameras, etc.
cheers
- Alan

• I recently purchased a Macbook Air for travel. It came with Mountain Lion. I can't shoot tethered with my 5D and EOS Utility. Canon has apparently been slow in releasing an EOS Utility that will work with Mountain Lion.

• My version of Microsoft Word doesn't work with Mountain Lion. I decided to purchase Apple's "Pages" software ($19.99) rather than opt for a new MS Word just for this machine. "Pages" will open Word docs, but they have to be reformatted.

• I'm also experiencing random, quirky behavior with Capture One Pro 6 software, my primary adjustment and conversion software. It's usable, but does strange things from time to time.

• Most of my print drivers won't work with Mountain Lion. Not too important right now since I rarely print from my laptop, but at some point I will want to, so I'll need to download and install the new drivers. The only driver that's working is the one that lets me print wirelessly to my Epson 725.

Overall, Mountain Lion is excellent. I installed it on an external boot-up drive and am testing it on my desktop machine. Same issues as above, but otherwise works fine.

- Steve

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:40 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

My job just got me a brand new MBP w/ ML and Office works fine (version 2011).

My several home machines are still on 10.7.x and will remain for another few months or so. I dont see any huge enough 'win' to jump to 10.8 on them

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:47 AM
fishjump
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

incompatible with spectra view.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

No problems with LR4 an/or PS6.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

thanks everyone.

So far it looks like my main worries will be with SpectraView, EOS Utility and perhaps my Canon printer drivers. I'll have to look into that.

On my previous MBP I upgraded to snow leopard fairly early and it was almost a year before Nikon software worked on it, and a long time before Canon upgraded their printer drivers. At least now I have Lr as my main photo application.

I ordered Drobo 5D 4 weeks ago (still not here) and the specs say nothing about working with SL. That is what prompted me to consider upgrading to ML.

I'll have to wait a bit longer, I think, while I investigate further.

- Alan

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

fishjump wrote:
incompatible with spectra view.

That is only true if you have one of the older 80 or 90 series monitors. The newer/current 241/271 are OK

Nov 18, 2012 at 06:35 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

If color is important to you, you need to be aware that OSX doesn't support 10-bit color depth output.

Nov 18, 2012 at 07:17 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

If color is important to you, you need to be aware that OSX doesn't support 10-bit color depth output. If you just use a Macbook Pro line, you do not need to be concerned with 10-bit at all since its display is only 6-bit.

Nov 18, 2012 at 07:19 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Its not as good as Windows Seven but it will do in a cinch.

Nov 18, 2012 at 08:35 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Had some dramas using my Spyder 3 Elite.

Nov 20, 2012 at 09:07 PM
kouasupra1
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Mountain Lion works great with my 2010 MacBook pro in CS6.

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:51 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Thanks for the extra input. Naturally my NEC monitor is a 2690

Even if I can't use 10-bit colours directly from the computer the NEC monitor is able to tweak the 8-bit values given to it to display them in a 10-bit colour space according to how it manages the colour profile internally. That's the primary advantage of the monitor having the smarts to use its own lookup tables rather than relying on the OS to do the work.

I'll be replacing my NEC 2690 monitor when NEC produces something at least as good but with say 130 pixels per inch instead of 90.

mshi, how do you know that the MBPs only use 6-bit colours ?
Does that apply to the Retina MBPs too ?

- Alan

[edit] it seems that the NEC problem with Lion also applies to the latest Mountain Lion and is Apple's fault. Expected to be fixed in a later release of Lion.

Nov 22, 2012 at 02:23 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

I dug up this topic so apologies for adding a message this late. I was searching for mountain lion information because I am wondering if there is any benefit in upgrading. So far I only read about things that ML does worse than SL.

Is there anyone here that sees any benefits of using ML compared to SL?

Also, maybe by now some of the problems are solved?

Thank you

Jan 24, 2013 at 01:25 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

FYI, log in as root user and make sure the spyder software is set to make the profile for all users.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:27 AM
RKuebel
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Just when I'm getting ready to get a MBP retina and hook it to a Dell U or Nec PA monitor, I find this discussion and wonder if it will all work out. Also print to a Epson 7600 and seems that taht might not work. Should I bail on the idea?
Thanks.

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:30 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

rabbitmountain wrote:
I dug up this topic so apologies for adding a message this late. I was searching for mountain lion information because I am wondering if there is any benefit in upgrading. So far I only read about things that ML does worse than SL.

Is there anyone here that sees any benefits of using ML compared to SL?

Also, maybe by now some of the problems are solved?

Thank you

The only thing that would force me off of 10.6.8 would be the purchase of a new Nikon. Apple's Raw Camera Updates for new model Nikons only work in 10.7.5 and above.

Everything is working fine in 10.6 so I'll stay there for now.

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

I'm using 10.7.5 and I think it's the best since 10.5.5 All the other versions had troubles - in the OS. How 10.7.5 or 10.8 is with camera specific wares compared to other versions I dunno... same maybe?

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:36 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Mountain Lion works great on my 2010 Mac Pro 32 GB
note: 16 GB memory was enough for image processing. 32 GB is for other application/task

one application issue seen

The only issue I see is with the Canon Image Stitching program Photostitch v3.2.6
It stitches the images fine; but when you save the file is corrupt.
I think this occurred with Lion as well. Appears to be a Photostitch v3.2.6 issue and not Mountain Lion

no issues with these apps

Canon Digital Photo Professional
Photoshop CS6
AutoPano Giga 3.0
EXIF Changer
Zerene Stacker
HDRtist Pro
Snapheal
ColorStokes
Canon Map Utility

Jan 26, 2013 at 06:51 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.