Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Working on the eyes.....

techster82

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Working on the eyes.....

Thoughts on the processing of this image? I wanted to focus on the eyes. CC welcome.

Nov 18, 2012 at 01:04 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Working on the eyes.....

As is, the eyes rivet the viewer's attention and don't need any additional emphasis.

I am not sure if you were going for a high key look. If so, it did not work. The image appears overexposed. I tamed it down with several layers blended with the multiply mode. If you want the eyes to stand out, you might also try a B&W and only leave color in the eyes. Or you could leave the color in the face and tone down the blues in the clothing.

Edit: I forgot to mention. The whites of the eyes are very blue. I did not bother to fix that in the color version, but that would help the image. For the B&W, I brightened the whites with the dodge tool.

Nov 18, 2012 at 07:10 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Working on the eyes.....

People and skin are not my forte' ... Karen is probably better served for this area.

That being said, there seems to be a strong cyanic cast (look / measure the sclera). The sclera isn't necessarily supposed to be a pure white and will vary among individuals, but cyanic is a tipoff that you've got a cast. The blue clothing can make it tougher to visually detect (by comparison) at first glance. This is corroborated by the ribbon somewhat also.

I don't think I've gotten it fully corrected, but hopefully it illustrates the diff at least somewhat (this is based on the assumption that the sclera aren't actually that blue/cyan).

Medical Note: blue sclera can be indicative of a medical condition osteogenesis imperfecta, as well as a few others

http://disorders.eyes.arizona.edu/category/clinical-features/blue-sclerae
Excerpt:
Blue sclerae, especially at infancy, is the most visible ocular sign in osteogenesis imperfecta but it is not always present. It is also often present in normal infants. In some patients, it is present early but disappears later in life. Some patients have significantly lower ocular rigidity, corneal diameters, and decreased globe length. Interestingly, the intensity of the blue color in the sclerae does not seem to be correlated with scleral rigidity.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/blue+sclera

Nov 18, 2012 at 09:41 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Working on the eyes.....

The thing I first noticed was that the focus did not seem to be critically sharp on the eyes. I also noticed the blue cast in the eyes and for me to notice color cast is unusual.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Working on the eyes.....

The blues are too saturated. Sclerae in kids can be a bit blue but this is far too much as Kent pointed out. I would selectively desaturate the sclerae partially. Color balance needs some correction with some warming.
There is a significant reflection of blue/cyan under the right check along the neck. While that is an artifact of the reflected light off the shirt, it shows up strongly, in part because of the strongly saturated blue/cyans. I would selectively warm that area, blending it closer to the tones of the adjacent skin.
I am hardly expert at this, so this rework is partly practice for me, partly illustration of some improvements.
I set the white balance by using a point on the white bow.
Selectively reduced saturation, warmed temp, increased exposure of the sclerae.
Selectively sharpened eyebrows, eyelashes, lips, irises.
Slight vignette.
Set black point. Reduced clarity slightly.
Selectively (attempted) to fix color cast from reflected blues on the neck/cheek. I dont think I succeeded here.
Done in LR.

Scott

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM
techster82

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Working on the eyes.....

For this project I wanted to make the eyes pop, to draw you in to the photo. It's an area I really haven't focused on in my previous editing unless it just happened to exist in the photo.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and work on this photo. I'm taking all of your thoughts in and hopefully will put them to use in my future editing. Here is the original photo this was cropped from. Perhaps I should have used a different photo for this project but this feedback definitely helps.

It's interesting some of the things I didn't notice about this photo until they were pointed out to me.

Nov 18, 2012 at 01:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Working on the eyes.....

Scott ... nice rework.

Nov 18, 2012 at 01:33 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Working on the eyes.....

RustyBug wrote:
Scott ... nice rework.

thanks.
I'm learning!

Scott

Nov 18, 2012 at 01:41 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Working on the eyes.....

techster82 wrote:
For this project I wanted to make the eyes pop, to draw you in to the photo. It's an area I really haven't focused on in my previous editing unless it just happened to exist in the photo.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and work on this photo. I'm taking all of your thoughts in and hopefully will put them to use in my future editing. Here is the original photo this was cropped from. Perhaps I should have used a different photo for this project but this feedback definitely helps.

It's interesting some of the things I didn't notice
...Show more

Hey if you ask for critique, you will get it. No image is so perfect that somebody someplace will not find at least one nit.

Nov 18, 2012 at 03:15 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Working on the eyes.....

First, because many digital cameras render caucasian skin too magenta to be pleasing, I'd suggest bumping up the hue. (In PS for this face, say about +10.) I'd also suggest some retouching to even skin tones.

To add visual emphasis, the usual three factors are brightness, contrast and sharpness. After retouching the eye to reduce the blue cast of the whites, selectively sharpen the eyes as much as you can without introducing noticeable sharpening artifacts. Adjust the exposure until the area around the eyes is suitably bright and then make a well feathered selection of everything but the face and use it to darken the surroundings. Then make a well feathered selection of the area around the eyes and invert it to select everything but the area around the eyes and again bump the gamma and reduce the exposure to darken again everything except the area around the eyes. This sequence darkens the face, exclusive of the area around the eyes a little and everything beyond the face more. Since the eye move to the brightest area it is drawn to the eyes because they have the best contrast and sharpness within the brightest area of the image.

Nov 18, 2012 at 03:47 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Working on the eyes.....

I really like the original version. Please do not try to artificially whiten the color of the sclera, because it starts to look un-natural. Not only it is intense blue in some individuals, especially babies, but in this particular case it also reflects the color of the outfit.
If you want to bring emphasis to the eyes there is another technique that is very easy to implement in PS (there are multiple tutorials floating around): dodge highlights and mid-tones on the iris with a soft brush, set at ~6-7, lightly burn the mid-tones in the ring around the iris and shadows in the "structure" in the middle of the iris around the pupil (if you decide to darken the pupil itself, do it very lightly, to avoid harsh look), with soft brush set at 6-7, and then saturate the color of the light part of the iris with a soft brush, set at ~ 8. The goal is to create a transparent, "glow from within" look. You will need only very moderate adjustments to achieve the targeted look for this particular photo.

Nov 19, 2012 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.