New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · So Which Alt Lenses have AF on NEX Cameras

steve g
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · So Which Alt Lenses have AF on NEX Cameras

I'm developing a fascination with the NEX line, particularly the 7, and the opportunity to use some nice alt lenses.

Personally I'd be happy to use MF in most situations but a camera this size would be ideal to send off with the wife and grown up kids if AF were servicable.

So before I bite a bullett and spend big on new lenses, I'd be grateful if anyone can expalin which alt lenses retain AF with this camera.

Obviously the Sony E lens and the Zeiss 24mm, And I understand the adapter allows the big Sony lens to AF, and with Phase Detection, but are there others (with the right adapter I realize)?

Nov 16, 2012 at 07:52 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · So Which Alt Lenses have AF on NEX Cameras

Canon EF lenses are currently the only others which allow AF with the Metabones or MX adapters (I think there's an RJ adapter also coming), AF is the same CDAF as an LA-EA1 or LA-EA3 adapter and SSM or SAM lenses.

Note for Sony/Minolta A mount lenses you need the right adapter. An LA-EA1 or LA-EA3 only gives (slow CDAF) AF with SSM and SAM lenses (and Sigma or Tamron lenses with a built-in AF motor), while the LA-EA2 adapter gives (fast PDAF) AF with all AF lenses, at the cost of an SLT mirror being present.

Nov 16, 2012 at 08:23 AM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · So Which Alt Lenses have AF on NEX Cameras

Just to make sure you're aware: Sigma also makes 2 e-mount lenses specifically for NEX that will AF, and Zeiss will make a few more next year.

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:18 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · So Which Alt Lenses have AF on NEX Cameras

Tamron e-mount
Contax N via EF conversion

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:24 AM
xbarcelo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · So Which Alt Lenses have AF on NEX Cameras

Aparently MX is developing a Contax G autofocus adapter, scheduled for december, according to an email I received last month. Will see how it works.

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:40 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · So Which Alt Lenses have AF on NEX Cameras

For the purposes the OP describes the Zeiss 24 f/1.8 for e-mount ought to be excellent. Not really an alt lens because Zeiss and Sony collaborate on building it, but a nice solution for sending it off with people who need AF and very little to no sacrifice for the OP if he wants a set of great lenses for it.

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:54 AM
sorney1
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · So Which Alt Lenses have AF on NEX Cameras

at over $1,000 I don't think that Zeiss 24 f/1.8 is too smart a selection myself to send off with other people to bang around. for this purpose what is wrong with the Sigma 30 or the Sony kit lens?

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:12 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · So Which Alt Lenses have AF on NEX Cameras

sorney1 wrote:
at over $1,000 I don't think that Zeiss 24 f/1.8 is too smart a selection myself to send off with other people to bang around. for this purpose what is wrong with the Sigma 30 or the Sony kit lens?

Or the Sony 35/1.8 OSS, which is also reportedly excellent.

Nov 16, 2012 at 06:55 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · So Which Alt Lenses have AF on NEX Cameras

xbarcelo wrote:
Aparently MX is developing a Contax G autofocus adapter, scheduled for december, according to an email I received last month. Will see how it works.

They're also reportedly working on a Nikon G adapter with full coupling.

Nov 16, 2012 at 06:56 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.