Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

DRosdahl
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

I am currently over half-way done with a 9 month deployment to Afghanistan. As I look forward to reuniting with my family to include my daughter who was born just before I left I would like to add a lens to my kit. I currently shoot with a 5D MKII and own a 24-105 and 85 1.8. Ever since I bought my first 50D I have dreamed of owning a L prime and after 9 months of eating crappy Army food I am going for it.

I have been living in Europe so the majority of my photography has been travel but this summer we are relocating to DC. I anticipate the majority of my shooting being family portraits of my own family and of families of friends along with some travel photography. I am leaning towards selling my brand new 85 1.8 and getting a 50L. I have owned both the 50 1.8 and 1.4 but sold them both because of constant soft images and crappy construction. I like the 85 but it is not as versatile as I like. The images that I see taken with the 50L (yes I know it is not the equipment but the person behind it) have that 3D look that I love.

Thoughts? Also, with the 50L, what date coded lenses tend to be tack sharp. Most of what I have read indicates that getting a good copy is crucial!

Thanks! Hope America is treating you all well, I miss it!

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:09 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Been there, done that too...my time was back in '06 and '08 which led to me getting a 5Dc. If you're doing portraits I can't recommend the 135L high enough. What's in focus is 3D, and what's out of focus is nothing but creamy.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:19 PM
zquaratella
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Though I don't actually own one, many of the shots I've seen with the 50L of children are simply amazing. I have read that the lens can be finicky with focus, though. Good luck with your decision!

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:54 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

I would go with either the 135L or the 100L Macro with IS -- as mentioned, the 135L is so awesome and it will give you a longer lens in your kit (it also works with a TC), the Macro would be great because it would be great for close ups of the new baby. While the 50L is interesting, could you not get relatively similar results with the Sigma 50/1.4? Perhaps. I would lean toward the 135L and then look to add the something like the Sigma 50 later. Good luck and stay safe!
Paul

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:37 PM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Get the 50L. Its awesome. Or....

The 35L. It's great for indoors, great bokeh. I use both for 90% of my shooting. My interests are pretty much in line with yours.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Thank you for your service!!!

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:48 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

If possible keep your 85 in addition to the 50L. If I could only have one lens that would be it.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:31 AM
DRosdahl
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

I really appreciate the feedback. I know that often threads started like this are ignored. I think that the 135L looks phenomenal, but using my 24-105 as a judge I rarely shoot that length.

I think I am thinking between the 35L and the 50L. If I keep the 85, maybe the 35 makes more sense?

Thoughts?

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:12 AM
DRosdahl
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

BobnJake wrote:
Thank you for your service!!!

Thank you for your support! It means a lot to us out here without our families for the holidays!

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:13 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Be aware that there is a good deal of anecdotal evidence that the 50L often doesn't play nice with the 5D2's autofocus. I know my son had that combination, and couldn't use the lens happily until he got a 5D3.

My $.02 would be to get a Sigma 50/1.4 or a Canon 50/1.4 (about a third of the price of a 50L). If you find that the extra half stop (more or less) is crucial, then go for the 50L, but I'd be surprised if you found that (and I suspect you'd like having an extra $800 for other toys).

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

I disagree about the 50L. It is fine with 5DII AF (center point). You are right 35/85 is probably the ultimate 2 prime combo. 35L and 85 1.8 is a rocking combo. If 1 lens I still pick 50L

Nov 16, 2012 at 06:13 AM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

First and foremost, thank you for your service and what you do to help keep this the greatest country on earth.

I would keep the 85 and go with a 35L.
Have you looked into the Sigma 50 1.4? Suppose to be a phenomenal lens.

Nov 16, 2012 at 06:32 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Sorry, the sigma 50 is iffy with autofocus. Get the lens you want.

Nov 16, 2012 at 06:40 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

th 135mm f/2 is killer! Thank you for your service! God bless, you and your family, and god bless America!

my wife below taken with a Canon 40D and the 135mm f/2!

PHOTO TWO by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

Nov 16, 2012 at 06:45 AM
DRosdahl
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Truly thank you all for the support!

The more I think about it I am leaning towards the 35L. When I had the 50 1.4 I liked it but felt that I either didn't have a close enough crop so I was always walking too close to the subjects or if I was trying to take a environmental shot I was always too tight so I would reach for the 24-105. I think the 35L with my 85 1.8 will do the trick and give me that good balance.

My daughter has grown so much in the past 5 months while I have been gone; when I left she was just starting to smile and now she is sitting up and giggling all day. I am so excited to dust off my camera and shoot more of her!

Nov 16, 2012 at 07:56 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

First you said

saneproduction wrote:
I disagree about the 50L. It is fine with 5DII AF (center point).

Scores of threads here over the years testify to the problems that many have with 50L; there have been a couple in the last week. Some lens/camera combinations have issues; some don't. That is a fact.

Then you said

saneproduction wrote:
Sorry, the sigma 50 is iffy with autofocus. Get the lens you want.

As if the Sigma 50/1.4 somehow is unique in that regard.

Both lenses are "iffy" with the autofocus of many cameras.

Both lenses are fine with the autofocus of many cameras.

Both are, in fact, something of a gamble, either because of sample variation or some other issues. But to pretend that one is "fine" while the other is "iffy" simply ignores the vast weight of evidence to the contrary. When the 50L and the camera body make beautiful music together, it's undoubtedly an excellent tool, and can do (in the right hands) some things the Sigma 50/1.4 cannot do. But whether those things are worth an extra $800 to a particular purchaser, and the gamble that the lens often may not focus well, is a legitimate issue.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Here is to you and your family We truly appreciate the sacrifice you all have gone through and wish nothing but the best going forward.

When you get your lens, lets see that beautiful family

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:27 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

I would suggest sell 85, buy 135f2 +35f2. These two would serve you very well.

Another option could be to get 70-200 f2.8 is ii, though personally I prefer primes

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:37 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

Forgot to add, 35mm POV is quite nice for a young one, it is quite engaging. (Plus its small and not intimidating)

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:39 PM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Post-Deployment Lens Advice

I'd rather have the 35/85 combo than a 50/85 combo.

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password