Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Taking a grinder to an RRS plate

Rune
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Taking a grinder to an RRS plate

CTYankee wrote:
I have a plate for the original 5D. I now have a 5DII. I see how it can fit with a bit of grinding, and read others have done it. Anyone know what is the best tools and such to use? Bench grinder with what kind of material doing the grinding? Then finish with what kind of file to get as smooth a finish and edge as possible?

Too late to rewrite (for me.. Norwegian time..), so a direct copy 'n paste from my blog:

Aluminium milling with a Router for woodworking..?

Finally Easter Holiday and time to spare for a long awaited project… can one mill aluminium with a normal router meant for wood-working..?

Lately I have acquired both a 1DsII and a 1DIII second-hand, but I don’t have any Arca-Swiss brackets for them.
So, thinking it over, I did have a Really Right Stuff (RRS) BGE2-L bracket for my 20D that I don’t use anymore laying around, and carefully measuring and re-thinking I decided that if I chopped it in half, milled of a little bit, and made a groove, it would make a perfect companion for both my new 1D’s… :-) So far so good… done with the brain stuff… :-)

Well, I never quite have had the balls to try out milling in aluminium yet, nevertheless destroy a perfectly good sellable RRS L-bracket, but after a nice (or maybe two..?) Single Malts, I finally found the balls… ehh… the courage… and down in the workshop we went… (With we, I mean me and the bracket, not me and the Single Malt bottle… oh well… :-) )

I guess the pictures speak for themself, the milling are done freehand, so a little rough around the edges it is, but it is very flush and overall, I am very pleased with the result. It fits absolutely perfect on both cameras! :-)
(As you can see, the bolt position on 1DsII and 1DIII are quite different…)

Sidenote:
Why nobody really makes these brackets with a groove slot is beyond my understanding… then it would fit more different cameras… but on the other hand they would maybe sell less specialized brackets….

Edited on Dec 03, 2012 at 08:45 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:29 PM
Rune
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Taking a grinder to an RRS plate

Rune wrote:
To late to rewrite for me (Norwegian time..), so a direct copy 'n paste from my blog:

Aluminium milling with a Router for woodworking..?

Recent update, the 1DIII has been updated to a 1DIV, and the modified bracket is functioning beautifully

DIY is medicine for the wallet and soul...

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:33 PM
frdjohns
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Taking a grinder to an RRS plate

sjms wrote:
I have to ask again, why take an item that holds a good portion of its value used and hack it up so later it has no value at all? seems just a little counterproductive unless it is already damaged in some way.

It seems to me that an item's value is in its use. If I can use it longer for no additional cost, doesn't that increase its value to me, even if it decreases it for you?

Just a thought...

Dec 14, 2012 at 08:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Taking a grinder to an RRS plate

true to a point as it may or may not work as adverted just on hacking alone. but its always an option. some of them are more extreme then others. so far selling really hasn't been a problem for me as much as it seems to be for others. so let'er rip as you like.

Dec 14, 2012 at 08:08 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Taking a grinder to an RRS plate

trenchmonkey wrote:
For what they're boning us (RRS/Kirk) for an oz. or so of aluminum...... F 'em.

You're wrong about this.

I'm starting my own business making camera gear, mounting hardware and things like that. Between r&d, design time, the extreme cost of prototyping, machinist's time...the cost of the aluminum you alude to is like 1% of the cost of making something like this. They're not making nearly the money you think on these things.

I was surprised too.

Dec 16, 2012 at 05:47 AM
MalbikEndar
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Taking a grinder to an RRS plate

> the cost of the aluminum you allude to is like 1% of the cost of making something like this

This is an interesting aspect of this sort of hardware. The cost of the material is near zero. If they were made in large quantities (tens or hundereds of thousands, let's say) the engineering and setup costs are spread out to almost nothing and the cost of manufacture is also small when using high levels of automation. However the smaller the number sold the higher the cost. Seems to me that when you get to high-end hardware we are almost talking about artisanal fabrication. And add to THAT the cost of advertising and the high-end name aura...

Dec 16, 2012 at 08:24 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password