Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Rune's message #11163105 « Taking a grinder to an RRS plate »

Rune
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Taking a grinder to an RRS plate

CTYankee wrote:
I have a plate for the original 5D. I now have a 5DII. I see how it can fit with a bit of grinding, and read others have done it. Anyone know what is the best tools and such to use? Bench grinder with what kind of material doing the grinding? Then finish with what kind of file to get as smooth a finish and edge as possible?

To late to rewrite for me (Norwegian time..), so a direct copy \'n paste from my blog:

Aluminium milling with a Router for woodworking..?

Finally Easter Holiday and time to spare for a long awaited project… can one mill aluminium with a normal router meant for wood-working..?

Lately I have acquired both a 1DsII and a 1DIII second-hand, but I don’t have any Arca-Swiss brackets for them.
So, thinking it over, I did have a Really Right Stuff (RRS) BGE2-L bracket for my 20D that I don’t use anymore laying around, and carefully measuring and re-thinking I decided that if I chopped it in half, milled of a little bit, and made a groove, it would make a perfect companion for both my new 1D’s… :-) So far so good… done with the brain stuff… :-)

Well, I never quite have had the balls to try out milling in aluminium yet, nevertheless destroy a perfectly good sellable RRS L-bracket, but after a nice (or maybe two..?) Single Malts, I finally found the balls… ehh… the courage… and down in the workshop we went… (With we, I mean me and the bracket, not me and the Single Malt bottle… oh well… :-) )

I guess the pictures speak for themself, the milling are done freehand, so a little rough around the edges it is, but it is very flush and overall, I am very pleased with the result. It fits absolutely perfect on both cameras! :-)
(As you can see, the bolt position on 1DsII and 1DIII are quite different…)

Sidenote:
Why nobody really makes these brackets with a groove slot is beyond my understanding… then it would fit more different cameras… but on the other hand they would maybe sell less specialized brackets….

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:29 PM

Previous versions of Rune's message #11163105 « Taking a grinder to an RRS plate »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.