Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

JHC
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

Hi,

I'm new to dlsr's and have been using photobucket for family sharing of photos. I was reading some posts on this forum and found that one can search flickr and photobucket by name of lens to see shots taken through that lens...the numbers on flickr far exceeded those on photobucket.

I don't know if you have to do something special to tag the photo for the search, or if they use the information from the file when uploaded, regardless, it got me to wondering what you guys and gals use and why?

- John

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:12 AM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

I have been using Flickr and really like it. Loads on there, join groups and get updates on friends that you add. Easy uploading. You can make guest passes for secure images that you don't want to have the public see.

Not hard to give it a go, just sign up for an account and see if it does what you like.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

Flickr is great for storage, but the only thing that ticks me off is that you can only access your last 200 uploaded shots if you let your pro account expire. I don't think it used to be that way in the past and it makes me want to find a cheaper long term solution for photo storage.

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:29 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

I don't consider Flickr storage, it is a way to display and share images. The pro account last time I checked was cheap. What can you get for less then $2 a month?

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

As a hobbyist it's cool to upload and get a little exposure. There are a few useful groups although way too many spammers in most. I also think it's a pretty big community so you can follow a lot of great photographers as well. I have flickr pro and the price is relatively reasonable. If/when I ever get more serious I would probably just start my own blog/website.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:30 PM
thirtyfivefifty
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

Flickr Pro... though i want to have my own site one day.

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:08 PM
ATurturro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

own website + flickr!

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM
cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

i use smugmug. works well for me, but i'm a basic user.

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:35 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

I avoid all the digital dumpsters. Just get your own website. There are many services and templates available to make it easier. Try ZenFolio.

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:35 PM
aldopolo123

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

I use flickr.

Nov 22, 2012 at 06:29 PM
ShadowWalker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

+1 for Zenfolio

Jeffrey wrote:
I avoid all the digital dumpsters. Just get your own website. There are many services and templates available to make it easier. Try ZenFolio.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

+2 for Zenfolio

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:47 PM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

I use SmugMug. I used to use Zenfolio. I think both are good. At the time I switched,
SmugMug had a sillier name but better resizing algorithms. The prices are comparable.

I also have posted on 500px.com
which has a lot of amazing photographs and an interesting way of serving other photographers' images to you.
Lots of European photographers there. Not many display options, though. They control that.

I used to use pbase.com, but I feel it is antiquated.

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:54 AM
Steve Walker

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

I have been using Zenfolio for several months and am completely impressed. I tried several others, but liked Zenfolio's ease of use, capabilities, cost, and contract terms. It turned out to be an easy decision once I looked into them.

Thanks to all the others at FM that steered me toward Zenfolio.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM
jason9101

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

I use Flickr and Imgur daily for my photography work. Oh and Dropbox as well for keeping my images private and secured.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

I've been using Flickr Pro (since 2005) as my photo-dump. 30k photos there and the hosting costs are minimal, plus I too like the sharing/social aspect. For my portfolio and client galleries, I use Zenfolio Pro w/ domain name hosting. What I sell off Zenfolio and Flickr per year easily covers the cost of hosting. To be clear, you can't sell directly off Flickr, but companies will contact you for usage rights if you have enough content that's properly tagged up there. I also license through Getty at Flickr for a little additional exposure.

Lastly, Flickr's new smartphone app is a great way to snap geo-tagged images at full resolution, share socially if you like, and have them added to your Flickr stream at the same time with any privacy level you desire. Pretty nifty. You also get wonky Instagram-like filters if you're into that sort of thing (sometimes they're irresistible!).

Cheers,

Randy

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:18 PM
JHC
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

Hi,

So photobucket is officially the suck now, to me anyways, with the new changes. I don't want to have to log onto the picture storage site and waste time learning/discovering some geeks new way to sort my data. Especially with a paid account.

I'll play around with zenfolio and see what it's like. Is it affiliated with photobucket in anyway?

I'm really just looking for a reliable way to store and link images so others (ie family/coworkers) can share them as desired.

-John

Mar 02, 2013 at 09:08 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

penpro wrote:
I don't consider Flickr storage, it is a way to display and share images. The pro account last time I checked was cheap. What can you get for less then $2 a month?

I spend ~65¢/month for storing/hosting photos through AWS, plus registering my own domain with simple pay-as-you-go hosting for tossing up the occasional display album works out to another ~75¢/month. The investment of my own time to get this working, however, was non-trivial --- so $2/month for a pre-made solution is a good bargain if you don't enjoy the challenge/education of cobbling together your own systems.

Mar 02, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

Another Zenfolio user here, love it. I used to use pbase but let it expire forgot my log in and went to Flickr, then moved to Zenfolio.

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:21 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you use flickr or photobucket or something else?

Free flickr account for images posted here, paid Zenfolio for family stuff. With Jeffrey friedl's lightroom plugin, Zenfolio is easy to manage.

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:58 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.