Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · 1dsII your thoughts?

Gyrine
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1dsII your thoughts?

I still use a 1DsII and still get excellent image quality. I'll eventually sell it and either get the 5DIII or the 1Dx. I probably won't be able to afford the 1Dx until there is a 1Dz on the market but hey...it's on my radar. Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy my camera and make great pics. At $900, don't think you can go wrong.

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:19 AM
carlsbadbum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1dsII your thoughts?

Sold my 1ds2 few months ago for a 5d3, and now i still don't have one because the 5d3 is not going down to 2500. And if you can get it for 900 go for it cus it's an excellent digicam.

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:09 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1dsII your thoughts?

How's the outer AF points as they are not X-type. It's only the center vertical bank that's x-type.

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:56 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1dsII your thoughts?

1Ds2 is the most reliable AF machine. Work great on static subject for most fast lenses. Maybe it has special lens (shown below) that used only by 1Ds2 AF sensors. I don't know other cam has it or not.

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:12 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1dsII your thoughts?

FWIW, when I owned one I was a .jpeg shooter and it did not impress me. Sold it for a 5D2 (love it)

If you shoot RAW, disregard

greg

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:33 AM
jrfx

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1dsII your thoughts?

Hi, I have 1Ds2 and processing its NEF files on DPP or Lightroom on Win7 x64.
1Ds2 cons:
1. Old body UI: small LCD, two buttons interface.
2. High ISO lags way behind the current standards.
3. OOC JPEG sucks.

1Ds2 pros:
1. Solid Pro Body with solid AF.
2. RAW at low ISO processed with current DPP or Lightroom is incredible. Most of my favorite photos are created this way.

If you need to connect 1Ds2 with XP:
I have old scanner Canon Canoscan 646 which only has XP drivers, it does not work with my Win7 x64.
Here's what I do: I created XP virtual machine on top of the win7 x64.
download Oracle Virtual Box http://www.filehippo.com/download_virtualbox/
Install XP on the Oracle Virtual Box, run XP, install XP drivers, connect my scanners, attach scanner to the XP, then voila I can use my old scanner once again.

However I cannot guarantee if this can work with 1Ds2 as I have no need to connect it to my Virtual XP on top of my Win7 x64.

Hope this helps.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:16 AM
ZoneV_Nikon
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1dsII your thoughts?

Was considering the 1D/1Ds II series myself, but decided against it for a few reasons relating to the fact that I need a future proof camera I can keep using for years:

-Repair support/parts availability will probably be impacted in a couple of years (Canon USA apparently no longer services the original 1D II)

-Personal functions issue mentioned before

-No AF micro adjust

-No live view

-NiMh battery (requires careful attention to charge/discharge cycles; do not like to be left unused for months...that kills them if done too often).

-Same price as 1D III, which has the updates mentioned. 1Ds III still higher.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:37 AM
alexdi
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1dsII your thoughts?

The 1Ds II is, in a lot of ways, a much nicer camera to use. The build quality, autofocus, weather sealing, form factor, mirror blackout, and viewfinder trump the 5D II, sometimes by quite a bit.

But the 5D II has better image quality, and you'll lose the massively improved UI, Live View, AF adjust, small size, larger and more color-accurate LCD, quicker image review, and all the little niceties Canon rolled into four years of development.

As ever, it's a question of what you value. I picked a 5D II. I love the UI and the form factor, I regret the AF. With the 1Ds II, it'd have been the opposite.

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:09 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 1dsII your thoughts?

the AF on the 1DsII AF, I find, is a hair behind the 7D.
The 1DsII has the expandable AF points around the single spot AF if it does not lock on.

The smaller screen can be a little bummer .... but no other main issues as a pure shooting camera (no video)

The 1 area that is sore for me is the buffer size and clearing to CF card.
when i am shooting a wedding with a large wedding party, the exit from the ceremony can be dicey. I can not take multiple images of each couple when they are running to get out of the ceremony!!!

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:45 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 1dsII your thoughts?

First, the 1DsII was (is) one of Canon's all time best cameras. It is, however, about 8 years from introduction so technology has improved in many areas. The 1DsII IQ to ISO800 or less is as good as or better than any camera I've ever used. This includes a short cycle with a 5DIII that I used for a day. Longer use of a 5DIII might change my mind. (I used a 1DsII for about 4 years and some of my all time best pix came with it.) The claim that the 7D has better AF is absurd. It's the same AF used in the 1DIIn had nobody has ever complained about it.

The big and valid knocks on the 1DsII are (1) small, low rez LCD. If you chimp a lot that's an issue. (2) It doesn't have live view. I only found this to be an issue when I started using a 24mm TSE. A good LCD with live view makes T/S a lot easier. (2) The buffer speed reflects the technology of the time so it's "slow" by current standards. On the other hand, the camera was never intended for sports work though I successfully used it as a back-up on occasion. (It does <4 fps.) (3) It's a pro-body and had what could be labeled as a "tactile interface." Once I learned what the button/wheel combinations did, I could control everything important without removing the camera from my eye. (4) Newer cameras have much better high ISO performance. I have a few ISO 1600 shots I like from it, but always considered 800 its functional maximum. I used it for landscape, portrait, and "art" so fast and high ISO was never important.

I suppose a 5DIII is a better camera (though its built quality is trivial compared to any 1D series camera). I haven't had enough experience to really say. It is clearly newer and addresses a number of the 1DsII's "issues." Of course a 5DIII is >$3K and you are looking at paying <$1K. The 5DIII - within the limitation listed above - is not $2K better than the 1DsII.

Remember that when introduced, the 1DsII was Canon's ultimate camera and retailed at ~$7. It will be several years before Canon stops supporting it simply because it was the flagship. If you want incredible RAW files (shooting JPEG with such a camera is basically a crime ), you'll go a long ways to do better than the 1DsII. At $900, assuming it is in good condition, you have excellent value.

Robert

(Oh, the only time it must be connected to a computer is if you wish to change its PF - personal functions. I never needed to do so as they are mostly esoteric. I always do file transfers thru a reader with all cameras.)

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Annapurna

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 1dsII your thoughts?

Hi. Ive both the 5D and 7D, but most of the time I reach for the 1Ds II, because of autofocus, viewfinder and balance. I think its an okay price. It is heavy for trekking and hiking and the batteries are HUGE.
Regards, Mikkelsen.

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:37 PM
argonaut
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 1dsII your thoughts?

I have a 1DS mark II on ebay currently for sale for around $800 with 56,000 shutter count...if anyone else is looking for one...

1 Ds mark II

I love the camera but am about to pull the trigger on a 1DX as a leap forward to high ISO and video...(well forward for me...my wallet may think otherwise )

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:24 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 1dsII your thoughts?

I might add that it took *forever* to write files to the card when shooting. This was a deal killer for me.

greg

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:03 PM
argonaut
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 1dsII your thoughts?

Perhaps a faster card is needed...true it won't take or rather is not set up to use the fast udma 7 cards..but I've shot eagles at 4 fps in batches of 8-9 shots at a time without any problems...the raw buffer is 8-10 depending on ISO speed...

Ymmv...

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:11 PM
Alistair1
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 1dsII your thoughts?

M Lucca wrote:
Came across a used 1dsII for about $900. Has 100k actuations. Seems to be in good condition. Worth it? It's unbelievable that it once MSRP for $8000 years ago.

Anyone still use these? How does it compare to say a 5d2?

The IQ from the 1dsII is very pretty. Lovely colors and tones. It is very nice body to use, feels great in the hand. 1dsIII is even better. I prefer it over the 5d2 but you lose movies and high ISO capability (and banding!).

However the price you are quoted is not that great. For some reason the 1dsII has dropped like a stone in price. I am about to upgrade mine and do not expect to get much more than 500 on ebay for it.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:32 PM
drive_75
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 1dsII your thoughts?

Great deal. I'll pick one up if I can get it for $900. I've been wanting to sell my 5D and get a 1DS2.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:16 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 1dsII your thoughts?

I just sold my 7D & used it along with my 1D2n & 1Ds2 to shoot radio control events. I NEVER thought the 7D had a better AF than the other 2. Maybe as good, but not better, but the keeper rate was lower.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:29 AM
argonaut
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 1dsII your thoughts?

I have a 5d ..the 1ds mark ii focused MUCH faster...many more keepers.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:33 AM
form
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 1dsII your thoughts?

I would never own a 1ds II again...shadow dynamic range is non-existent (RAW), noise is worse than 5d classic, and overall responsiveness in every way is inferior to modern cameras except for shutter lag. It's outdated tech, very, very outdated...5d2 focuses better and in lower light (with center point), has TONS more dynamic range and shadow recovery, much cleaner images, more detail, plus it's lighter, batteries last longer or at least as long, shoots video, etc...

The only advantages of the 1ds II are spot metering selected af points besides center and very fast shutter lag...definitely not enough to justify buying such old tech.

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:01 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 1dsII your thoughts?

i am wonder how long have you had this camera nothing like you said compared to my two copies and i am shooting them since 2006

form wrote:
I would never own a 1ds II again...shadow dynamic range is non-existent (RAW), noise is worse than 5d classic, and overall responsiveness in every way is inferior to modern cameras except for shutter lag. It's outdated tech, very, very outdated...5d2 focuses better and in lower light (with center point), has TONS more dynamic range and shadow recovery, much cleaner images, more detail, plus it's lighter, batteries last longer or at least as long, shoots video, etc...

The only advantages of the 1ds II are spot metering selected af points besides center and very fast shutter lag...definitely not enough to justify buying
...Show more

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:51 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password