Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · 1dsII your thoughts?

M Lucca
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1dsII your thoughts?

Came across a used 1dsII for about $900. Has 100k actuations. Seems to be in good condition. Worth it? It's unbelievable that it once MSRP for $8000 years ago.

Anyone still use these? How does it compare to say a 5d2?

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:28 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1dsII your thoughts?

I still like mine. Saying that I'd still do a straight up trade for a 1dx if any one wants to do a retro thing.

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:33 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1dsII your thoughts?

The 1Ds mk II is still a great camera and a steal at $900 imho. No new camera at 900$ will offer you the combination of full frame image quality, top notch metering, super responsive body (viewfinder black out time, AF speed, etc.) and great professional build quality. If you are not into video and do not really need (I say NEED) features of the newer models (live view, noise treatment at high ISO etc.) this is still the camera to get. If it was only for it's viewfinder I would still pay $900. Really it's a no brainer, top EOSfun at this price.

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:34 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1dsII your thoughts?

M Lucca wrote:
Came across a used 1dsII for about $900. Has 100k actuations. Seems to be in good condition. Worth it? It's unbelievable that it once MSRP for $8000 years ago.

Anyone still use these? How does it compare to say a 5d2?

Heck of a camera for that money. IQ, AF and build wise it's superb. No LV and tiny low res LCD are deal breakers for me if you do landscape, and it'd be impossible for me to go back now, and then there is that brick of a battery.

5D II will only show lead in IQ at high ISO, 1600+; at low ISO 1Ds series are hard to beat. 1Ds II AF will soundly thrash 5D II, especially with off-centre points and for servo work.

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:39 PM
dontbsme_2
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1dsII your thoughts?

What about the issues with operating systems like windows 7 and such?

I want one myself but,

John

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:41 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1dsII your thoughts?

What issues are spoiling your EOSfun John? I am still using a 1Ds mk II and am sitting in front of a Windows 7 computer at this very moment and have no issues at all...

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:43 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1dsII your thoughts?

dontbsme_2 wrote:
What about the issues with operating systems like windows 7 and such?

I want one myself but,

John

Issues?
I remember older EOS dslr like my 30d does not show ISO automatically in the VF. It was annoying. Is it the same with the 1ds2?

More importantly, does Canon still service the 1ds2? I read the service for 1d2 has stopped.

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:45 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1dsII your thoughts?

The viewfinder shows ISO. Here in Europe the 1Ds mk II is still in service and will be at least until september 2014, probably even a few years after the legal support term has passed. They don't break much though. The worst thing that can happen is a broken shutter from an intensively used pro camera. Repair costs are around 275 euro here in the Netherlands. I still have mine, but at 900$ nothing would stop me to buy another one if I needed one.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Peacekpr
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1dsII your thoughts?

If you don't buy it for that PM me. I'll buy it. That's a lot of camera for a little bit of money. It's still an excellent back-up body.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:02 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1dsII your thoughts?

You need a 32-bit OS to be able to connect the 1Ds2 and change personal settings. ISO is displayed in the viewfinder, but not when you select ISO to change it which drives me nuts! I love using my 1Ds2, it's a little quirky to control (two button actions) but you get used to it quickly. Better high ISO would be nice, but 1600 is useable with NR software. The AF destroys the 5D2, for my uses anyway (moving subjects, off centre AF points, lots of servo mode etc.). One was for sale here in the UK recently for 725 (which is much lower than the going rate), if I'd had the cash to spare I would've been seriously tempted to pick up a second one. The 5D3 find grows instead

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1dsII your thoughts?

So a windows 7 32bit will work?

Or does it need <gasp> XP?

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1dsII your thoughts?

I haven't got a W7 32-bit PC to test, I know it does work on XP and Vista 32-bit...

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1dsII your thoughts?

From Canon Europe website:

Available software for EOS-1Ds Mark II

Your desired software might not be available in your preferred language. In that case, you can choose to download and install the English version or search for another language.

English

All

1. Canon RAW Codec (1.8)

Compatibility:

Operating system(s):
Windows 7 32bit, Windows Vista 32bit, Windows XP SP2, Windows XP SP3

Language(s):
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish

2. Digital Photo Professional Updater for Windows (3.9.3)

Compatibility:

Operating system(s):
Windows 7 32bit, Windows 7 64bit, Windows Vista 32bit, Windows Vista 64bit, Windows XP SP2, Windows XP SP3

Language(s):
English

3. Original Data Security Tools Updater for Windows (1.8.0)

Compatibility:

Operating system(s):
Windows 7 32bit, Windows Vista 32bit,
...Show more

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1dsII your thoughts?

Great camera, slightly un-Canon awkward controls for some (not much of issue if you never had Canon before).

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1dsII your thoughts?

M Lucca wrote:
More importantly, does Canon still service the 1ds2? I read the service for 1d2 has stopped.

Why do people think that Canon is the only competent place that will repair Canon gear

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1dsII your thoughts?

I don't think anyone has mentioned that you need to use a firewire cable to set the personal functions, but once done you'll rarely be making major tweaks to them. I shoot a 1Ds2 still & both like the 2 finger system of changing settings plus have no issues with the smaller LCD. About the only thing I need the LCD for is to check exposures on the fly because I know the AF did it's job as long as I did mine. I've shot a lot of high speed action with mine & will continue using it for the same stuff next season, along with the 1D4 I bought in the spring.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1dsII your thoughts?

Great camera. I'm looking at a 20X30 print taken with one a few years ago...looks darn good to me.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1dsII your thoughts?

My primary cam is the 1DsII now that I've sold my 5D2. The only thing I miss from the 5D2 is the much better high ISO image quality, and I want a spare FF cam that has that. I'm hoping the 6D will WOW me, if not, I'll invest a little in the dark side and grab a Nikon D800 and keep and also use my Canon stuff. But I have to say, I love the 1DsII.

Edited on Nov 15, 2012 at 08:21 AM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:10 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1dsII your thoughts?

1dsII your thoughts?

Smaller file size, better colors, pretty IQ and such as beautiful AF.

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:10 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1dsII your thoughts?

Yes, it needs XP (possibly Win 2000 will work) with Firewire cable.

Honestly, I never bothered -- there aren't any personal functions that are important to me. The custom function are all camera controlled and available -- they are the important ones.

If it's functioning, that's a great price.

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:08 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password