Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Photographers Rights

Red 90
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Photographers Rights

I know as a photographer what I can shoot and what I can't shoot, especially in street photography. Where I'm somewhat confused is what I'm allowed to do with the photos and whether or not I need consent and permission. The following are some of the questions which maybe someone can shed some light on for me.

1. I know that if one sells photos for commercial use, you need model consent from all identifiable people. If I just sell the prints, is that considered commercial use? A lot of times when doing street photography, you shoot many strangers and it would be difficult to obtain consent from everyone.

2. If I post on flickr, facebook etc... is that considered personal use or am I publishing? Do I need permission from the people I photograph even though there is no financial gain?

3. Do I need permission to post photos of landmarks? It seems confusing as what is considered as art or copyright when it can be viewed in public. Can I sell photos, or just post on the web?

4. If I shoot a photo that contains a commercial sign or label (i.e. coka-cola), do I need to gain permission from the label to sell the photo or post it?

I know that in real life people are infringing left right and centre, however I'd like to be clear on what I'm legally allowed to do and not allowed to do.

Nov 14, 2012 at 07:33 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Photographers Rights

Sometimes it's just going to be part of the shot. I think some of the stock photo companies wont except copyrighted images in their photos...some sports icons such as a sports stadium or a teams mascot you may run into problems with...

Check the rules with those who run the event and see what they say...

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Photographers Rights

Your best bet is probably to seek out a book or other source of info on the laws impacting photography in your country. The laws vary from place to place so what might be legal in the US might not be in Canada.

You've touched on matters that include privacy, right of publicity, copyright and trademark, etc. I'd suggest checking sites like those from professional organizations, schools, lawyers specializing in those areas of the law, and government agencies handling copyright and trademark. It's not unusual to get a wide variety of answers on forums and it's hard to sort out the answers to find good information.

Nov 18, 2012 at 06:50 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password