New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · after market grips 5d3

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · after market grips 5d3

Is anyone using these on their 5D3's yet?

I was at an event and I seen a photographer shooting a 5D3, and they had a non-canon grip. They had to turn off their camera and take out the batteries several times.

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:49 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · after market grips 5d3

I am interested in this, too. Probably will just get the Canon grip though, since it's supposed to be metal bodied instead of plastic. Another $275 bites the dust.

Nov 13, 2012 at 08:01 PM
newmandoyle

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · after market grips 5d3

I recently purchased the Pixel Vertax BG-E11 grip, so far so good... It seems to be built well, including a metal plate on the bottom that secures the grip to the threaded tripod mount. Also, no issue with the battery drain that was associated with these grip when they were first released. Overall, I am happy with the purchase!

Nov 13, 2012 at 08:18 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · after market grips 5d3

I wasnt shooting at the event and I generally don't talk shop with the photographers at events, I just couldn't help but think that it would suck to have to keep taking your grip off and batteries out.

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:26 AM
dmward
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · after market grips 5d3

I have Pixel grip on one 5DIII and Canon grip on the other.
Can't tell the difference.
It would be nice if they could use each other's battery tray. :-)

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:03 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · after market grips 5d3

I have been using this one and have enjoyed it so far. Seems to work pretty well, especially considering the price difference.

http://www.adorama.com/ICABGE11AP.html

Nov 16, 2012 at 07:31 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · after market grips 5d3

kwhaley29 wrote:
I have been using this one and have enjoyed it so far. Seems to work pretty well, especially considering the price difference.

http://www.adorama.com/ICABGE11AP.html

Looks like it's missing the added thumb controller?

Nov 17, 2012 at 05:32 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · after market grips 5d3

That's correct.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · after market grips 5d3

I have the Pixel Vertax on mine. I get odd behavior out of the camera on occassion. the controls on the 5d3 will not respond, or the camera will freeze up. If i power the unit off, it returns to normal. I still wouldnt pay $350 for the Canon unit.

Nov 18, 2012 at 07:54 AM
dld542004
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · after market grips 5d3

I'm using the Flashpoint from Adorama and love it.

Nov 18, 2012 at 09:51 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · after market grips 5d3

I wonder what brand this dude had, he had to take the grip off, and batteries out (or maybe that was "his" solution to it). I remember thinking that I would've thrown the grip in the bag after the 2nd time.

Nov 18, 2012 at 03:06 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · after market grips 5d3

When I was shooting Nikon I had the Nikon grip on my D700 and it was the type where the first battery remained in the body and the second battery was in the grip. So you had to remove the grip to get to battery inside of the body. It only took a few seconds but it was a pain compared to the one that I use on the 5D III. So far I haven't seen a battery grip that doesn't have the part that you insert into the existing battery compartment.

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:19 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · after market grips 5d3

Oh I didn't mean the battery was still in the body. They were in the grip.

It could be he just had a 5d3 and didn't know what he was doing...I own one and I don't know what I'm doing lol.

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:55 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · after market grips 5d3

As far I know there is no aftermarket grip that forces you to put the grip of to exchange the batteries or put them out of the grip. But I maybe wrong.

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:08 AM
Epowers

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · after market grips 5d3

3catsinky wrote:
I have the Pixel Vertax on mine. I get odd behavior out of the camera on occassion. the controls on the 5d3 will not respond, or the camera will freeze up. If i power the unit off, it returns to normal. I still wouldnt pay $350 for the Canon unit.

Next time this happens check the wheel on the grip. If the wheel is in between clicks your whole camera will freeze.
This is a problem with ALL Canon cameras regardless of the grip. Now, maybe your grip is more prone to this if you rub the wheel against your clothes or something but at least now you know what to do.

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · after market grips 5d3

Ralph Conway wrote:
As far I know there is no aftermarket grip that forces you to put the grip of to exchange the batteries or put them out of the grip. But I maybe wrong.

I think the point was that the grip seemed faulty.

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:44 AM
WJ4VA

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · after market grips 5d3

Im using the Pixel Vertex on my 5DIII and have had zero issues with it.

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · after market grips 5d3

Epowers wrote:
Next time this happens check the wheel on the grip. If the wheel is in between clicks your whole camera will freeze.
This is a problem with ALL Canon cameras regardless of the grip. Now, maybe your grip is more prone to this if you rub the wheel against your clothes or something but at least now you know what to do.

This is interesting to find out! I have the 5D2 with Canon BG-E6, and it freezes fairly regularly as you mention. The only remedy is turning off the camera. Is this the Main Dial (fingerwheel) on the body, or the dial on the grip? I'm a little unclear how this is remedied -- just moving the dial will unfreeze the controls?

Thanks for letting me know it's not just my unit!

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:13 PM
tmalone893
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · after market grips 5d3

I've got the Pixel on the 5D3. No issues going on eights months now.

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:56 PM
Philip Mc
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · after market grips 5d3

I bought the pixel as well and last Monday night mid album launch session the multi control button popped off

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.