New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Servo AF testing

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Servo AF testing

This link contains an interesting description of a Servo AF test done on Nikon cameras. However, the very same method could be used on Canon cameras as well.
While the test idea is not new nor high tech, it should give some meaningful results for real world shooting scenarios in sports and wildlife photography, and similar.
The discussion that follows the writeup is also worth reading.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:36 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Servo AF testing

I use this test as well, but with my very small dog who has a dark face, making it an a horrific focusing scenario. I haven't tried it on a recent body but with previous tests the only two cameras that produced acceptable hit rates were a D3s and 1D Mark IIn.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:45 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Servo AF testing

snapsy wrote:
I use this test as well, but with my very small dog who has a dark face, making it an a horrific focusing scenario. I haven't tried it on a recent body but with previous tests the only two cameras that produced acceptable hit rates were a D3s and 1D Mark IIn.

That kinda makes sense.

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:03 PM
Paul_R_Canada
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Servo AF testing

Thanks PetKal, that was a good read and it's a nice simple test anyone can easily do, I love to learn!

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:55 PM
danieljcox

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Servo AF testing

Petcal, thanks for sharing my Blog post on Testing The Nikon D4, D800 & D600 in Predictive AF You are correct that this test is one and the same for Canon in AI Servo. Testing the Nikon D4, D800 & D600 in Predictive AF

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:19 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Servo AF testing

Daniel, thank you for taking the time to document your method.
Canon and Nikon seem to employ the same approach to camera Servo AF, although the algorithm details are probably different.

Welcome to FM forum.

Edited on Nov 16, 2012 at 02:48 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:47 AM
JEFFERY Z71
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Servo AF testing

Great link PetKal...thanks.

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:57 AM
charlespan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Servo AF testing

This was how I tested the focusing speed of my new 600mm II, a couple of weeks ago. It was easier for me, because we own a fast running small dog; no need to throw balls, he will run flying towards me when I call him:

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:08 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Servo AF testing

Great shots, Charles.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:48 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Servo AF testing

Yes! Wow! :-)

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:57 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Servo AF testing

This is how I have been testing AF on all of my cameras as well as lens AF response.
(Handheld 1DX + 400 f/2.8 IS II + 2xTC III)

Edited on Nov 17, 2012 at 08:01 AM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Servo AF testing

AF looks to work fine, Peter. Any complaints?

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:22 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Servo AF testing

Ralph, the main problem here with the test methodology is that the test target type is not readily available, therefore, even at best of times the repeat test runs are difficult to arrange, unless one has access to captive birds which is uncommon in itself. Clay pijun thrower would work too.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:58 PM
danieljcox

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Servo AF testing

Charlespan, wow, that little guy looks like a great Predictive test subject. Certainly is cute and little dogs can be harder than the big ones due to erratic movement. Thanks for sharing. I came in from a day of work and your pictures made me smile.

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:30 PM
charlespan
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Servo AF testing

PetKal wrote:
Ralph, the main problem here with the test methodology is that the test target type is not readily available, therefore, even at best of times the repeat test runs are difficult to arrange, unless one has access to captive birds which is uncommon in itself. Clay pijun thrower would work too.

I was going to say, although Peter is quite good at getting the pijun to behave (I remember a wide angle PIF shot), but I am sure he is not at the level where he can just tell the pijun "fly to me".

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:51 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Servo AF testing

Charles, you are right.........I have spent countless hours waiting and waiting, sometimes it is better, sometimes just nothing wants to fly in the desired manner. However, within several months I do manage to accumulate sufficient data for some kinda assessment.

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:58 PM
charlespan
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Servo AF testing

danieljcox wrote:
Charlespan, wow, that little guy looks like a great Predictive test subject. Certainly is cute and little dogs can be harder than the big ones due to erratic movement. Thanks for sharing. I came in from a day of work and your pictures made me smile.

Thank you Daniel, for your compliments. I just did a couple of runs to get the feel of the AF.

Yours is a much more reliable test, with the scoring system. Excellent approach!

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:59 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.