New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · The Perfect Light ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Perfect Light ...

Just for fun ...

If you could tell the engineers what you wanted in your perfect lighting system ... what features / designs would you incorporate? What are your top 3 "must haves" ... and ... what is your unlimited "nice to have" laundry list?

Lobby for your fav's as you like ... just don't bash on others for theirs.

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:44 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Perfect Light ...

RustyBug wrote:
...If you could tell the engineers what you wanted in your perfect lighting system ...

So many ideas are being put to practice every time I turn around, that's it's hard to say what I'd wish for that isn't already in the works.

One thing, though, is a moderately priced ETTL-capable Speedlite with bare bulb capability. Something with the same form factor as my old Sunpak 120j, but designed to work seamlessly with Canon DSLRs.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:03 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Perfect Light ...

If you're talking about studio lighting. My number one request would be knobs to turn and adjust the power. I hate pressing buttons a bunch of times to get to the power level I want.

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:47 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Perfect Light ...

+1 @ bare bulb and the old Sunpacks (e.g. 622). That or something like the Armatar flash which also will take securely mounted modifiers. Sadly, my Armatar bit the dust a while back, and of course didn't have contemporary electronics / ETTL.

Radio enabled Armatar, ETTL module capable, old school auto/ec capable, secure modifier capable, external battery source capable.

+1 @ knobs (digital readout accuracy) instead of 15 button pushes to move 1.5 stops or some two button combination for a full stop and 5 more button pushes afterwards, etc.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Perfect Light ...

My Profoto AcuteB2 600 is almost perfect for my needs (aside from the price...) so that with faster flash duration, remote power control and weather sealing that would be a good start.

Then wishful thinking:
Then maybe have the built in radio receiver switchable to work with almost any radio trigger on the market
A redesigned flash tube to better approximate a point light source for cleaner shadows used bare bulb

Otherwise a small speedlight with bare bulb and built in radio would be very nice to have, kind of a sunpak 622 crossed with a canon 600ex but for nikon and able to mount modifiers.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Perfect Light ...

RustyBug wrote:
Just for fun ...

If you could tell the engineers what you wanted in your perfect lighting system ... what features / designs would you incorporate? What are your top 3 "must haves" ... and ... what is your unlimited "nice to have" laundry list?

Lobby for your fav's as you like ... just don't bash on others for theirs.

I'd vote for onboard wifi and some sort of web-based open standard software control, with the goal of being able to manage the lights with any device, mobile or otherwise, that has a web browser.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:17 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.