Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · UW threatens to revoke credentials for tweeting too much during game

rolette
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · UW threatens to revoke credentials for tweeting too much during game

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/uw/

Nov 13, 2012 at 08:22 AM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · UW threatens to revoke credentials for tweeting too much during game

I know the NCAA has rules for championship events as far as live tweeting is concerned, but I haven't heard of school-level sanctions.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · UW threatens to revoke credentials for tweeting too much during game

Seems excessive to me. "Trending" is supposed to be a good thing in the Twitter world and if you're only providing little snippits, like 'good touch', then you are effectively driving those who want more to a place they can get more details.

On the other hand, if you're shooting the game and spending all that time tweeting

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · UW threatens to revoke credentials for tweeting too much during game

Nothing new. Some schools and pro teams have deals with tv and radio to be the official live broadcast partners. They are permitted to tweet, blog, facespace whatever they want. Print and web media are typically limited to quarter and half updates. Play by play for the Pac-12 is suppose to be by the Pac-12 Networks, SI, ESPN and Root Sports, plus the local affiliates, like your local big news channel. The problem is, they can tell you to stop tweeting from the sidelines, but they can not stop the fans from tweeting... I am pretty sure I remember when getting both my DU and CU credentials (Denver U and University of Colorado) it stated that the credential was for photo access only and not for play by play accounts of the contests.

It is just like the NCAA photo deal. NCAA has rules, but everyone reads the rules differently because the NCAA does not explain the rules in plain english. So one school will allow you to do whatever you want with the photos, where another may want to control the image use to some level, where another will freak out if you post images to a site like this. I learned a long time ago, follow the rules of the people issuing the credentials, ask questions if you do not understand something, and do not complain....they can just as easily say, give us your credential back.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · UW threatens to revoke credentials for tweeting too much during game

Sounds like good advice, Carl. It is the golden rule, he who has the gold, makes the rules.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.