Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1st timer

GarrettNunn

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1st timer

Next thursday, I'll be shooting at my 1st D1 school basketball game and I'm wondering what to expect. I've got a Nikon D3, an 80-200 f2.8, a 28 f2.8, a sigma 10-20 (for stadium shots), and a 70-300 f5.6 (which probably won't be used.) Any info I should know or lenses that would be good for future purchases? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1st timer

Hey Garrett,

Welcome to the Sports Corner. Not really sure what you mean by "wondering what to expect." I assume you have shot basketball before so I won't go there, but as for the gear, I would keep it simple from the start and just go with D3 and 80-200. Should be good to go. Don't know anything about the venue, but don't be shy about cranking up the ISO if they don't have the TV lights on. The D3 is remarkable and can handle it.

Nikon's 70-200 is faster in focusing than your 80-200. In my opinion, it is clearly an upgrade over the 80-200. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck.

Rick

Nov 14, 2012 at 09:01 AM
dankopp
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1st timer

There will be lines on the baselines and you will have to sit behind them. Photographers will probably only get half of each base line (i.e., one side of the basket) with cheerleaders and dancers on the other side. There may be assigned spots, but I haven't seen that for a regular season game. Usually its first-come, first-served. Many people put a bag or their equipment down to reserve a spot.

If it is televised, don't sit too close to the basket, as the TV guys will get in your way. In fact, with your 80-200, you are going to want to sit at least halfway to the corner. That also helps avoid "ref butt," although you will get plenty of those wherever you shoot. I would bring your other lenses in case you want to get some variety, but the big zoom will be your main lens.

Good luck!

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM
GarrettNunn

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1st timer

Thanks. I've shot basketball before, just not D1 schools. It's supposed to be at Tompson Bowling arena at UT and the lighting is supposed to be pretty good. I'd looked at the 70-200, but for a price difference of nearly $2k I just couldn't justify it with an AF that's already great. I'm just not sure what to expect as for where to be and what I should look for/avoid. I understand the "ref butt" idea far too well sadly...

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:05 PM
terrat
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1st timer

What are TV lights? I've never heard of this....

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:39 AM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1st timer

Some arenas -- typically the big ones in the big conferences with TV contracts -- have a couple sets of lights. One set is typically used when the teams practice, but a second set is turned on when the games are played because the TV crews need much more light for their broadcasts. It is rare to find this in some of the smaller venues, but it's pretty typical in big buildings.

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:27 AM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1st timer

terrat wrote:
What are TV lights? I've never heard of this....

In addition to what Rick was saying, even smaller D3 arenas will have the ability to turn the lights on "full" and "half." I've had to ask to have the lights turned all the way on before, but the benefit to the schools is worth it when the get higher quality photos.

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:33 AM
GarrettNunn

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1st timer

It's not a TV game so I doubt they'll have the TV lighting on. Thanks for the tips gents!

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:03 PM
terrat
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1st timer

I'm shooting at ISO 3200 f/2.8@1/400sec tops through mashed chips and gravy on my side of the glass and puck and body waste on the other. I'm going to write a letter to Santa this year I think..."TV lights". A wonder.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1st timer

TBA has great lights, The times I have shot there I have not seen or noticed anything different from other schools with the exception to Rupp arena.

Andy

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM
GarrettNunn

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1st timer

What were your settings typically like?

Nov 16, 2012 at 08:02 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.