Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · NCAA WBasketball- Cal vs Lehigh

thetaobear
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · NCAA WBasketball- Cal vs Lehigh

I've grown very picky about my photos- so I am only posting one! The lighting is quite poor at Cal's Haas Pavilion. I tried to white balance the color correctly but this image has a bit of sick yellow/greenish tint- especially on the bottom of the half of the image. Any suggestions how to fix it? C&C welcomed!

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:11 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · NCAA WBasketball- Cal vs Lehigh

I like it just as it is. What a very cool moment in time. Looks like a painting with a Norman Rockwell flavor. The shared intensity and focus is almost beyond belief (which contributes to the feeling of something created rather than captured). Awesome image. I'd call it "Rapture."

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:23 AM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #3 · NCAA WBasketball- Cal vs Lehigh

For some reason Haas Pavilion lighting is just a pain in the neck, every time I shoot there it is a struggle.

Most of the time now I take my Color Passport with me and do a few test shots around the court then do a custom white balance using a grey card (remember to do there at shutter speed of 1/60 to capture a full cycle of the lights cycling...).

The Color Passport helps me in post back home while the custom white balance is good enough for the photo I send at half time.

Denis
www.widgic.com

Nov 11, 2012 at 06:56 AM
thetaobear
• •
p.1 #4 · NCAA WBasketball- Cal vs Lehigh

Russ,
Thanks for such a nice comment. Appreciate it!

Denis,
Wow- I learn something new everyday. The 1/60 shutter speed to do white balancing makes so much sense. Thanks for that! I should definitely carry a color passport around.

Cheers!

Nov 11, 2012 at 06:37 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #5 · NCAA WBasketball- Cal vs Lehigh

Widgic wrote:
For some reason Haas Pavilion lighting is just a pain in the neck, every time I shoot there it is a struggle.

Most of the time now I take my Color Passport with me and do a few test shots around the court then do a custom white balance using a grey card (remember to do there at shutter speed of 1/60 to capture a full cycle of the lights cycling...).

The Color Passport helps me in post back home while the custom white balance is good enough for the photo I send at half time.

Denis
www.widgic.com

Denis:

The photos on your web site are great, so obviously your methods work. A couple of questions about your methods.

1. As you know, stadium lighting flickers both in intensity and color, so a perfect color balance is never possible. But it appears that your experience is doing a custom color balance is still worth the effort.

I would like to to hear a little more about your experience on this subject.

2. Obviously you feel you get a better color balance under stadium lighting using the Passport than just a gray card.

I would also appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks!

Jim

Nov 12, 2012 at 01:28 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password