New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

megancanada
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

I would appreciate your help with recommending hard drives for my Drobo 5D which has been ordered.

I am thinking of starting with 3 - 2TB drives, mostly because of stability and pricing.

My computer house is recommending Seagate Barracuda SATA (STBD2000101) or WD Caviar Black (WD2002FAEX) drives.

I would appreciate any advise you have on this.

I want to make sure I get something which is reliable.

Thanks!

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

The drives I have used with the Drobo are the WD Green drives. I think those are recommended by Drobo. I tried the Seagate as a stand alone and had issues. Check their site for suggested drives. I know that some drives gave issues in the past.

Nov 09, 2012 at 03:46 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

What drives they recommend depends on what Drobo you are using. For the new 5D they don't recommend Green drives. They recommend these drives.
Red" SATA Disk Drives
7200RPM Performance SATA Disk Drives
Enterprise SATA Disk Drives
Solid State Drives (SSDs)
mSATA Solid State Drives (SSDs)

Nov 09, 2012 at 06:04 PM
megancanada
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

Thanks, which brand and model would you rather buy? Seagate or WD and is it worth spending the extra money on the higher end models in these brands? For example, does it pay to buy the WD Enterprise version over the WD Caviar Black for a difference of $50 per drive?

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:44 AM
peteygas
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

No one ever mentions Hitachi , but if you talk to computer repair techs that is what they all tell me

Nov 10, 2012 at 09:19 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

I've started with 4- Segate Barracuda 3TB ST3000 SATA 6gb 7200 64mb drives in my recently purchased 5D.

Nov 10, 2012 at 09:42 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

megancanada wrote:
Thanks, which brand and model would you rather buy? Seagate or WD and is it worth spending the extra money on the higher end models in these brands? For example, does it pay to buy the WD Enterprise version over the WD Caviar Black for a difference of $50 per drive?

If you like to pay less they recommend the WD Red drives that are made for Drobo's & NAS

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

No one ever mentions Hitachi , but if you talk to computer repair techs that is what they all tell me

Hitachi (hard drives) is now owned by Western Digital.

Nov 10, 2012 at 07:49 PM
cjrpostma
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

Question, if you don't mind: I am thinking of buying a Drobo 5D to use on a new iMac via Thunderbolt. I'd like to be able to hot swap drives every week so that I have a redundant backup, how does that work with an odd number of drives (i.e. five as in the case of the 5D)?

Does anyone else use their Drobo in such a manner? I'm planning on storing my hot swappable backup drives offsite.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM
cjrpostma
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

Oh, and I haven't had any trouble with Western Digital black drives, 7,200 RPM.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

cjrpostma wrote:
Question, if you don't mind: I am thinking of buying a Drobo 5D to use on a new iMac via Thunderbolt. I'd like to be able to hot swap drives every week so that I have a redundant backup, how does that work with an odd number of drives (i.e. five as in the case of the 5D)?

Does anyone else use their Drobo in such a manner? I'm planning on storing my hot swappable backup drives offsite.

I don't really understand it ? Do you like to swap all drives in the Drobo every week or ? So if you have 5 drives in the Drobo, then you like to swap with five other drives every week ?

Nov 11, 2012 at 01:09 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

This is essentially a raid setup. You cannot hot swap drives. All files are distributed across each drive in the array.

Nov 11, 2012 at 02:20 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

You can hot swap two drives at the sam time. But only to upgrade the drives. Or replace broken drives. You can't hot swap the drives because you like to keep one backup outside the Drobo.

Nov 11, 2012 at 03:09 PM
megancanada
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

From my research and your advice I will be going with 3 of the WD Red 3 TB Sata drives. I may also go with a Crucial 128GB mSata SSD in the Accelerator Bay to increase the performance a bit if needed. Thanks again for your advice.

Nov 11, 2012 at 09:27 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Drobo 5D - What drives would you recommend

I think that's a good choice. I haven't used WD Reds myself yet but I'm hearing good things about them. So far I've only used Hitachi enterprise class drives and they have been extremely good too.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.