New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Striving for better quality control, Sigma will now implement their own A1 MTF system for testing all new lenses before they they reach the customer. The Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM A1 is the first lens launched with this new system.

"We used to measure lens performance using conventional sensors. However, we’ve now developed our own A1 proprietary MTF (modulation transfer function) measuring system using 46-megapixel Foveon direct image sensors. Even previously undetectable high-frequency details are now within the scope of our quality control inspections. The lenses in our new lines will all be checked using this new system before they are shipped."
Read More

Sigma Global Vision posted more pictures and information on the new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM A1 and USB Dock.

Pre-order the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM A1:
Canon Mount | Nikon Mount

Edited on Nov 19, 2012 at 08:11 AM

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:32 PM
vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma focusing on quality control

One issue here is that the Foveon sensor is a 1.5x crop sensor, so it will not directly translate to full frame corner/border sharpness unless they find a way to counter this.

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:36 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Their MTF rig sounds useful for detecting production issues but I wonder what they'll do with lenses detected as having lower-than-expected MTF. Tweak them? Toss them? Sell them?

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma focusing on quality control

snapsy wrote:
Their MTF rig sounds useful for detecting production issues but I wonder what they'll do with lenses detected as having lower-than-expected MTF. Tweak them? Toss them? Sell them?

Maybe discounted as blems or B-grade stock for cute-rate flea bay dealers?

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:40 PM
nkronberg
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma focusing on quality control

anyone else get the impression that the title of this thread suggests a little bit of a chicken-egg problem?

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:47 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Will this translate to less affordable glass?

Nov 09, 2012 at 01:00 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma focusing on quality control

nkronberg wrote:
anyone else get the impression that the title of this thread suggests a little bit of a chicken-egg problem?

Nov 09, 2012 at 01:11 PM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma focusing on quality control

dolina wrote:
Will this translate to less affordable glass?

Hopefully, it will increase the IQ of all their lenses in the future. With Canons outrageous pricing on their new and vII lenses a lot of us are going to be forced away from Canon lenses to third party glass, like it or not. I don't know about anyone else but I have to justify my expenditures for my hobby.

My sweet wife just might beat the Hell out of me if I spent $2400.00 for a Canon 24-70- 2.8 lens (without) IS instead of $1249.00 for an aalllll' most as sharp Tamron 24.70 f2.8 VC (and there's no telling how much the Canon with IS is going to be). I know that's not a Sigma example but it's an example where third party lens makers are stepping up to the plate and making it easier to justify nice new glass.

Nov 09, 2012 at 01:16 PM
jonorees

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Either way this is good news. Clearly they know that starting a upper market product line requires constant IQ between units no body wants to pay $900 for a lotto ticket, <$400 is more acceptable for a compromise on quality.

Certainly Tokina & Tamron have stepped it up in the last 18 months and good to see that Sigma is following.

Canon certainly have to be wary of their pricing, sure they are producing some top notch glass, but the pricing perception for the semi-pro & hard-core hobbyist isn't going in their favour...

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:20 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma focusing on quality control

I can see this helping with decentering and the like but the majority of issues people have with Sigma is the dreaded prime syndrome and I do not think a MTF test will catch that.

What I am talking about is when it front focuses badly up close but as you shoot subjects farther away it changes to back focusing at about 10-15 feet and further out. No amount of microadjust will help this unless your subject is always the exact same distance every time.

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:51 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Well another thing not in favor for Canon is the strong yen vs. dollars ratio.

Nov 09, 2012 at 03:04 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma focusing on quality control

I think this is a huge step forward, especially combined with their Optimization Pro software and USB Dock.

I'm not saying it's everything, or that it fixes all problems. But when was the last time a manufacturer said "we had quality control issues, we fixed them, and we will show you what we've done". In the last few months:

Tamron offers guaranteed 3 day repairs.
Sigma offers multiple distance / focal length microadjustements.
SIgma is actually doing optical tests on lenses as they leave the assembly line (only Zeiss and Leica do that now).

I'm really quite pleased to see there's some companies that still think providing information and customer service is a good business model.

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:31 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma focusing on quality control

RCicala wrote:
I think this is a huge step forward, especially combined with their Optimization Pro software and USB Dock.

I'm not saying it's everything, or that it fixes all problems. But when was the last time a manufacturer said "we had quality control issues, we fixed them, and we will show you what we've done". In the last few months:

SIgma is actually doing optical tests on lenses as they leave the assembly line (only Zeiss and Leica do that now).

I'm really quite pleased to see there's some
...Show more

Yes - Sigma seems to make the right business moves currently compared to giant Canon.....

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:50 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Edward Castro wrote:
Well another thing not in favor for Canon is the strong yen vs. dollars ratio.

This is the same for Sigma also.

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:04 PM
Peacekpr
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma focusing on quality control

I don't care how much Sigma tries to convince us that they finally care about QA I'll never buy another third rate lens like Tamron or Sigma again.
Nothing beats Canon L glass.

Nov 09, 2012 at 07:24 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma focusing on quality control

RCicala wrote:

I'm really quite pleased to see there's some
...Show more

+1

had a heartbreaking experience with the Sigma 50 1.4 - coz it was ALMOST excellent.. but almost doesn't count for much to an event photographer & so the Sigma was pretty terrible for me, even though i knew it was capable of excellent results sometimes.. hopefully this is a step in the right direction!

Nov 09, 2012 at 07:28 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma focusing on quality control

I've been very happy with Sigma lenses; 4 lenses currently all focus very accurately wide open, especially the 150 macro but even the 24 f/1.8, 50/85 f/1.4 are pretty much spot on. 5D III spot AF is really nice for getting accurate results.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Netgarden
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Now if only they could be consistently sharp, i wouldnt mind paying more for sigma. I really like their color ratios. Hoping they will succeed, although sounds more like a marketing ploy in order to raise their prices. More power to them though if they can get their long zooms to be usably sharp at 500 mm.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma focusing on quality control

Bearing in mind the price tag of recent Canon lens releases Sigma's action is timely good news. Personally I have never been more open to considering third party lenses.

Nov 12, 2012 at 01:47 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma focusing on quality control

still on the fence about sigma. i have the 50 f1.4. it has been to the shop, once; changed focus motor.
It needs to go back back for the back-focus outside of 10-12 ft.

i would be interested in the docking-software check.

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:13 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.