Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Canon, please make better sensors...

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon, please make better sensors...

Because your lenses are better than Nikon in overall function and performance. Not sharpness, but other aspects...important other stuff, like rendering and low light AF...

Nov 09, 2012 at 11:02 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon, please make better sensors...

I think Canon got this message - unfortunately they focused too much in other directions like developments for the video industry as part of their innovations in photography. I am sure after Nikon showed its success with the D800/D600, Canon reconsiders now. But it might take a while for them to find back to the path in regard to new sensor developments for FF DSLR cameras. I hope it doesn't take them too long!

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:21 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon, please make better sensors...

form wrote:
Because your lenses are better than Nikon in overall function and performance. Not sharpness, but other aspects...important other stuff, like rendering and low light AF...
We need to be more careful what we write about gears:

* Why on earth would Canon lenses have better "rendering", whatever that might mean, than Nikon lenses ? Heck, we can not even define or describe lens "rendering", let alone use it for comparisons.
* For a given nominal lens aperture, low light AF is mostly a function of the camera body, and not the lens. Lenses do not sense light and they really do not focus......they just execute focusing command issued by the camera's AF system.

Edited on Nov 09, 2012 at 01:03 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2012 at 01:01 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon, please make better sensors...

I hope the you tube video is a rick roll.. ( I didn't click it)

as for sensors... whats the problem ? low iso DR? or 30+ MP ? DR advantage is gone once ISO goes up and not everyone wants 36MP+

Nov 09, 2012 at 01:38 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon, please make better sensors...

I would love a 16 stop DR on ISO 50, or even 25. Truesense's new sensors offer a new 'low gain mode' which can handle 2X the full well capacity. Making for HUGE DR increases.

Nov 09, 2012 at 01:42 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon, please make better sensors...

My vote is also for greater dynamic range, and lower native ISO.
I could care less about high ISO.

kodakeos wrote:
I would love a 16 stop DR on ISO 50, or even 25. Truesense's new sensors offer a new 'low gain mode' which can handle 2X the full well capacity. Making for HUGE DR increases.

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:15 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon, please make better sensors...

And not everyone wants mega high ISO.
Give me greater dynamic range, oh please, and not just an infinitesimal change, and a much lower NATIVE ISO, 50, or better yet, 25 ISO, that is clean.
Those together would be super great.

spdntrxi wrote:
I hope the you tube video is a rick roll.. ( I didn't click it)

as for sensors... whats the problem ? low iso DR? or 30+ MP ? DR advantage is gone once ISO goes up and not everyone wants 36MP+

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:18 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon, please make better sensors...

buggz2k wrote:
My vote is also for greater dynamic range, and lower native ISO.
I could care less about high ISO.

I would love to see greater DR with Canon's future camera bodies. I have contemplated moving over to Nikon because of this, but it would be too much of a pain to sell off all my gear. Don't get me wrong, I have been shooting Canon for 12+ years, but the temptation is there even though my current gear suits me just fine.

-Nick

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:29 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon, please make better sensors...

buggz2k wrote:
And not everyone wants mega high ISO.
Give me greater dynamic range, oh please, and not just an infinitesimal change, and a much lower NATIVE ISO, 50, or better yet, 25 ISO, that is clean.
Those together would be super great.

I'm convinced at this point that it's just not possible to have a sensor with high dynamic range and also be able to get to those ultra high ISO's. I feel like Canon would have to make a camera specifically for super low ISO's and high DR. But Canon, like a smart company, wants to come out with a product that everyone will buy, not just a segment of the consumer base.

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:43 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon, please make better sensors...

PetKal wrote:
* For a given nominal lens aperture, low light AF is mostly a function of the camera body, and not the lens. Lenses do not sense light and they really do not focus......they just execute focusing command issued by the camera's AF system.

Thank you Peter, I am not sure why there is so much confusion here. The all-to-common 'faster the lens the faster the focus' theory does not hold for me either, for example 85/1.2L focus speed vs. 400/5.6L.

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

goosemang
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon, please make better sensors...

what canon should do is introduce the awesomest bestest camera in the history of the world, one so great it shall never be dethroned, and then we can FINALLY take some decent photos

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:46 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon, please make better sensors...

also, it should cost $19.99

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:46 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon, please make better sensors...

I don't care too much about Sony or Nikon being better. It's true, I recognize the advantages of having a little more DR, but to me this is much more important for cameras with a smaller sensor like NEX and m 4/3 OM-D. For full frame I could live with Canon standard DR and noise performance a la 5DmkIII if it was just a 35-40MP full frame sensor. Now if Canon would hurry up with that, that would be EOSfun to me.

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:59 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon, please make better sensors...

I'm sure Canon does not enjoy hearing about the "Exmor" advantages.
The question is: Can they deliver similar or better sensor technology at an affordable price?

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:06 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon, please make better sensors...

Current EOS CMOS is great for my purposes and isn't holding me back one iota. However I wouldn't mind ECF as an option on my net EOS. Not very fond of using the joystick or wee wheels for AF point selection.

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:08 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon, please make better sensors...

Higher ISO and better dynamic range I think are both possible. I'm sure Canon actually thought it was doing pretty well in Sensor technology, that is until Sony woke them up.
They virtually sat on there laurels for too long. Sony beat them to it plain and simple, but before you get all wound up, theres much more to a camera than just the sensor, its a system.
Thats why it takes longer for a company like Canon or Nikon.
The Sony Nex sensors are very good as well, but the lenses aren't as good as some of the other systems.
Canon's coming, its just a matter of time, and good design.
I'd like a 1DMk3 sensor and autofocus, without all the Pro features, maybe 12Mp, and I would be happy. I don't even have a 1Dmk3, but the feature set in that camera is really top notch, and If all the cameras had that sensor, they would be tough to beat. And thats what, 6 or 7 year old technology?

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:47 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon, please make better sensors...

Canon, welcome for anything better and cheaper.....and ASAP

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:51 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon, please make better sensors...

If Canon did everything requested there will be greedy request for something else and more. It never seems to stop. Some people learn to adapt and are successful.

Nov 09, 2012 at 06:24 PM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon, please make better sensors...

I think that the 7D MK2 it will be the first camera that will use the new design sensors from Canon. That's why Canon delayed so much the 7D's succesor and came with that huge firmware update (2.0.3) that it has so many improvements ! Canon knows that it has to change their sensors. My guess: it will be spring 2013.

Nov 09, 2012 at 06:29 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon, please make better sensors...

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm sure Canon does not enjoy hearing about the "Exmor" advantages.
The question is: Can they deliver similar or better sensor technology at an affordable price?

This is really the key. In this economy they are already struggling with product pricing and eliminating large chunks of the potential market.

Nov 09, 2012 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password