Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · FoCal question

PatrickSweeney
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · FoCal question

OK, do I print out the targets, display them on the screen, what?

The software is unhelpful at this point, or Windows has scattered files further than I thought. (Still finding them.)

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #2 · FoCal question

print

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Mexecutioner
• •
p.1 #3 · FoCal question

print on matte paper using an inkjet printer to avoid reflections from laser toner and the paper itself.

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:22 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · FoCal question

+1 for matte paper w/ an inkjet. I used a luster type paper for a while, and have better results on matte.

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:26 PM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #5 · FoCal question

Targets are included in the download, 2 sizes. Non glare is very important as is good lighting and not fluorescent.

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:39 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #6 · FoCal question

I actually tried out the targets on my tablet and it worked nice enough. I did have a better time with target acquisition with the printed targets though.

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:41 PM
328iGuy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · FoCal question

Definitely go with printed targets, you don't want any chance of glare to mess with the MA.

You will find a folder under FoCal that has all the target images in it.

Nov 09, 2012 at 03:11 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #8 · FoCal question

Definitely print your target.
I believe there is a short manual included with the download that seemed to cover everything step by step. I found reading it through a couple times was helpful. Setting up your target in good light at the right distance is the most hands-on thing you will need to do.

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #9 · FoCal question

Anyone have a good distance to use for each focal length?
I tried 50x and that's not working.
They said to try closer.
I then got the small square to check OK but when you zoom I get the X from the software.
Sent them screen shots again today.
Previously (before latest beta) I would set up the target, start the test, and the test would say it lost the target.
I've spent way too many hours to try to get this software to work.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Ken.

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:21 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #10 · FoCal question

25-50x focal length should be good
With help here I realized my shutter speed was too slow on my 400mm
Once I put a spot lamp on the target and boosted the iso to 320-400, calibration was fine. Even on a solid tripod, I had issues completing the test if my shutter speed was not 1/FocalLength.
Focal does want to see the whole target adequately when zoomed, so make sure you are not too close or far away.

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:38 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · FoCal question

From the manual

3.2 Printing the Target
Ideally, the target should be printed on Matte Heavyweight Paper with an Inkjet printer.
When printing with a laser printer, the toner can be quite reflective and may upset the analysis of the image and result in a less reliable result.
Printing on standard (lightweight) paper will work OK, but there can be some issues with the paper curling over time. Also, when using a smaller macro target at close to 1:1 magnification, fibres on the paper can become a significant part of the image and reduce analysis performance.

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:05 AM
Suresh T

p.1 #12 · FoCal question

Kenneth Farver wrote:
They said to try closer.
I then got the small square to check OK but when you zoom I get the X from the software.
Previously (before latest beta) I would set up the target, start the test, and the test would say it lost the target.

It did take a bit of practice for me to get the target setup to work both for normal and zoom, particularly at 50x with longer zoom lengths (200mm+). What worked for me (even at 50x for 300mm) is making sure the camera was directly in front of the target, at the same height, with camera sensor plane parallel to the target (or as close as I could get it :-)), etc. Then, zoomed out, I try to get the target as centered as possible, then zoom in and make minor adjustments as needed. It was tricky though at 50x with the heavier 70-300L at 300mm.

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:18 PM
PatrickSweeney
• •
p.1 #13 · FoCal question

Thanks. for some reason, Windows scattered the downloads/unzip files all over the hard drive. So I had to search for them, just to assemble the FoCal folder.

Getting into it, looks like fun and I'll report on the results.

Nov 16, 2012 at 07:00 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #14 · FoCal question

I had problems getting the software to give me the "green checkmark" so I could use the software.
I believe I had a defective lens that would only lock on to the outside edge of the target.
I put my cameras in LiveView 10X and centered the target at 50X the focal length (actually a little over that)
I was able to calibrate the rest of my lenses to both my 5D2 and 1D4.
Now to go shoot and be amazed at the results.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM
2ndgen

p.1 #15 · FoCal question

Kenneth Farver wrote:
They said to try closer.

From their web site:

Focal Length Recommended minimum test distance
<10mm 0.5m (50x or greater)
24mm 1.2m (50x)
50mm 2.5m (50x)
85mm 3.5m (40x)
100mm 4m (40x)
200mm 6m (40x)
300mm 7.5m (25x)
400mm 8m (20x)
500mm 10m (20x)
600mm 12m (20x)
800mm 16m (20x)
1000mm 20m (20x)
Macro lenses Typical working distance – e.g. 0.3m for 1:1 shooting

Note that Focal length is the actual focal length of the lens (and teleconverter combination if
applicable) – the sensor “crop factor” can be ignored.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · FoCal question

I suggest that you do multiple tests for zooms at different focal lengths, or for large aperture lenses at different apertures, or for any lenses at different shooting distances, so that you get a number of AF MA settings for each lens that cover the various shooting scenarios more completely. Now, you can only use one setting per lens in the camera at any time but you can easily change that setting if you know that you have to when you change the way you use the lenses - and Focal makes it so easy.

- Alan

Nov 17, 2012 at 04:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password