Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

Albino_BlacMan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

I'm looking for a new head to go with my 1541T. I have a standard q3 right now. It won't let the legs close all the way. I do quite a bit of white water canoeing so when I bring the 1541T with me I have to stick it in a Pelican case along with all my other gear so the fact that it doesn't close all the way is a pretty big annoyance. (Side note I've thoroughly tested the waterproofness of Pelican cases with thousands of dollars worth of gear in them and they're pretty sweet).

Anyway, the logical upgrade would be a Q3t. However, I was wondering what other ballheads are out there that allow the legs to close fully. One thing that I don't like about the Q3 is that you have to loctite RRS clamps to it (I like the tongue and groove RRS solution better). It's minor I know, but I can buy whatever I want so why not be uber picky right?

Anyways, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Nov 08, 2012 at 03:44 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

You could of course buy a RRS ballhead. You have already made up your mind about using a RRS clamp. The BH-30 can be bought with many different clamps. Or without a clamp if you already own the RRS clamp.

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:50 AM
DearDuck

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

I recommend a FB-36DDH2 ballhead, which can fit traveler tripod GT1541T very vell.

Purchasing Link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882956-REG/Sunwayfoto_FB_36DDH2_Ball_Head_With.html

Nov 08, 2012 at 07:14 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

I would not buy a Sunwayfoto head if it was me. Especially not with the history that company have here at FM. They have been stealing photo's both from members here at FM and another Photography Forum member also. So I would not support a company selling photography equipment, that violate the copyrights for photographers

Nov 08, 2012 at 07:27 AM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

Does the bh-30 allow the legs to close all the way though? I think it would ideal if it does.

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:29 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

The BH-30 is smaller than the Q3T head.
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BH-30-LR&type=3&eq=&desc=BH-30-LR%3a-Compact-ballhead-with-LR&key=it
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BH-30&type=0&eq=&desc=BH-30-no-clamp%3a-Compact-ballhead&key=it
http://www.markins.com/4.0/html_en/q3-tr.php

Nov 08, 2012 at 07:35 PM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

In the picture it looks like it hits the bump for the T-lever on the RRS ballhead whereas it fits between the levers on the Q3T. So it doesn't look like it closes all the way on the BH-30.

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

Anyone tried the Arca-Swiss P0 with this tripod?

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:26 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

Albino_BlacMan wrote:
In the picture it looks like it hits the bump for the T-lever on the RRS ballhead whereas it fits between the levers on the Q3T. So it doesn't look like it closes all the way on the BH-30.

The locking lever is springloaded so you can reposition it. And RRS write that "The BH-30 is the perfect companion for the Gitzo GT1541T Traveler"

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:33 PM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

Lars Johnsson wrote:
The locking lever is springloaded so you can reposition it. And RRS write that "The BH-30 is the perfect companion for the Gitzo GT1541T Traveler"

I don't want to say RRS is wrong in claiming this (I love RRS) but in the picture on the RRS website it looks like one leg is not able to close as close to the centre column as the other legs so I would greatly appreciate if someone who owns the combination could confirm that the legs close all the way with this head and legs combination.

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:53 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

For the legs to fold parallel to the center column on the 1541T you need a ballhead with an outside diameter (OD) of <=50mm. This requirement includes both the ball housing and the panning base. Your Markins Q3 and the Arca-Swiss P0 both have ODs that are too wide (from memory the A-S P0 is 60mm in diameter).

What you need is a head that has the largest ball diameter and meets the OD <=50mm requirement. AFAIK that ballhead is the Markins Q3T; its ball has a diameter of 38mm and it has a max OD of 50mm which is the diameter of the panning base. Not surprising really as the ballhead was designed specifically for the 1541T.

You do not have to Loctite a RRS clamp to the ball stud of a Q3T. Just because Markins Loctite their clamps doesn't mean that you have to. There are many users out there with Loctite-free Q3T/RRS rigs...

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:49 PM
pompeio
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

I had a similar question regarding the BH-30 for use with the GT1541T that I posed to RRS and got the following response:

"With the center column removed I can give you somewhat of a blanket response—the housing on the BH-30 (thus, obviously the BH-40 as well) will prevent the legs from fully closing (not an issue with the BH-30 if you used the center column). One leg will be prevented from closing fully—not so much the tripod wouldn’t fit into a backpack, but it’s not the eloquent look or feel I’m sure you’re after. (I would still use a BH-30 Pro with this configuration as it would fit fine in my backpack)."

I ended up purchasing the Markins QT3 but it, too, does not allow the GT1541T legs to fully close with the center column removed. Perhaps some have been able to get it to close completely but I have not had that fortune.

Nov 09, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

pompeio wrote:
I had a similar question regarding the BH-30 for use with the GT1541T that I posed to RRS and got the following response:

"With the center column removed I can give you somewhat of a blanket response—the housing on the BH-30 (thus, obviously the BH-40 as well) will prevent the legs from fully closing (not an issue with the BH-30 if you used the center column). One leg will be prevented from closing fully—not so much the tripod wouldn’t fit into a backpack, but it’s not the eloquent look or feel I’m sure you’re after. (I would still use a BH-30
...Show more

Why would you remove the center column ? If it makes it more difficult to close the legs. The housing on the BH-30 is a lot smaller than even the Q3T. So only the knobs have any chans of interfering with the legs. So if you use the tripod in a normal way, the housing can not prevent the legs from closing. Base diameter is only 40mm and ball 30mm. So the base diameter is 10mm smaller than the Markins Q3T. And if you look at the pics with the Sunwayfoto head in this thread. The BH-30 is 8mm smaller than that head.
Instead of removing the center column. You could remove the ballhead more easy and faster. And then you can close the legs as good as it get

Nov 10, 2012 at 08:29 AM
dasams
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ballheads that allow GT1541t to close? (Other than Q3T)

Albino_BlacMan wrote:
I don't want to say RRS is wrong in claiming this (I love RRS) but in the picture on the RRS website it looks like one leg is not able to close as close to the centre column as the other legs so I would greatly appreciate if someone who owns the combination could confirm that the legs close all the way with this head and legs combination.

The legs do not close all the way with the BH-30 but they do with the BH-25 (which I've paired with the 1541T). There are pics on the RRS website. dave

Nov 10, 2012 at 02:58 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password