Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

ebe5000

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

Hello,

I just bought a Sigma DP2M and I'd like to ask if someone know how to use a external flash.

But first let me share my short experience with this little camera (180 pictures taken)
I'm a long Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji digital cameras user. I have or have used for a long time Canon 5D, 5DMK2, 40D, 50D, 350D, 1DSMK2, 1DMK3, Sony A850, A900, Nikon D200, D700, Fuji X-100, Olympus m4/3 with top of the line lenses: Canon 35L, 85LMk2, 135L, 70-200/4L, 180L, Zeiss ZE 21/2.8, ZE35/2, ZE 100/2, Zeiss ZA 135 1.8, Zeiss ZA 85/1,4
I'm just giving you my background, so you can understand better where I'm coming from and what I'm used to. I have no experience with medium format cameras or Leica or other stuff not listed here.
I almost always use a tripod.

I have been following from the fence Foveon sensors since the beginning, very interesting products, but was waiting for the right moment. When I saw the DP2M, i decided that was the moment.

I don't care if the camera is slow, has bad video, is a brick, the screen is not perfect, it is slow to write the files, the battery is a joke in 2012, etc. I don't complaint, just mention it because others might be worried. My attitude is to learn the problems, find a solution and decide if is worth it.
Well, this camera is worth all of the (little) trouble and more. I use it with a solid tripod and ballhead, the camera feels like a feather in there, and the sharpness of the files is amazing. As someone said here, it is like removing a veil that was on your files. I thought Having no external remote shutter was a problem, but using the 2 or 10 seconds delay is ok (not perfect but ok) and I expect to take some panoramics using the interval at every 15 seconds and take 5 pictures.
the camera lens combination is sharp at f2.8, corner to corner, and everything looks great. At f5.6 I see things I haven't seen before, at least using the default settings.
I only use ISO 100 till now, not interested going up anywhere. I'll try ISO200 but no more.
The files are very rich, have a 3-D feeling that is very in your face, and after doing a few changes using Nik Silver Efex, the black and white are great.
SPP software is not the best (being generous), but it is worth the trouble.

Then I have a question I haven't figured it out yet. I cannot make a external flash to fire. the Flash menu in the camera is disabled, and it seems that it will only be activated putting a Sigma original flash (I dont have any)
I have tried a dumb hot shoe: nothing, a simple radio Yongnuo wireless shutter: nothing, a canon 580 EXII flash: nothing, a Canon original flash external cord: nothing. When I say nothing, I mean the Flash menu is still disabled and the flash does not fire. At some point I was able to fire the canon flash in stroboscopic mode (a mistake, because the flash was not set as stroboscopic) if camera used in M mode. My fuji X100 is ok setting it as External Flash and then adding anything to fire the flash in manual mode.
I just want to fire the external flash in manual mode, no TTL or anything.
I'm not familiar with Sigma products, and after a long research I couldn't find any Sigma external flash cord.

So, my question is, do you know any Sigma or compatible cord to fire a external flash in manual mode?
Something like this but for Sigma?

Canon OC-E3
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/498744-REG/Canon_1950B001_OC_E3_Off_Camera_Shoe.html

I was thinking that maybe this cord will do the trick:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749767-REG/Vello_OCD_U6_Universal_Duo_TTL_Off_Camera.html

Ideally I'd like to have: DP2M + external cord + flash canon 580 EXII, or if not possible, replace the canon flash for a original Sigma flash.

thanks!

Nov 07, 2012 at 02:48 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

Sorry I do not have a solution for you; joining this thread in the hope someone else will.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM
cjrpostma

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

I'm going to try some Cactus V5 triggers. Not a cord but might be useful to you still. I'll report back in a few days.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

Perhaps this can help a bit:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigmadpmerrill/discuss/72157631801531179/

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:19 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

I had no problem using a CyberSync radio trigger with by DP2M. I didn't need to set any camera settings; just attach the transmitter to the camera hot shoe and the receiver to the flash.

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:33 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

I often use an inexpensive, hot shoe mounted infra red trigger in the studio with DSLR's. Just tried it on the DP2M and it works fine (I tested it in M mode).

One thing I have noticed in the past with other cameras is that, depending on the hot shoe fit, sometimes the spring loaded pin in the trigger would not make contact with the hot shoe contact on the camera resulting in the issue you describe. I's possible you could be experiencing something like this (though that might be unlikely if you have tried other flash units).

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:09 PM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

I have Nikon SB 900, SB 800, SB600 and SB400 and just today ordered the Sigma DP2 Merrill.

Not any of the flashes will work directly mounted in the shoe on the DP2M, but can I use any of those to get it to work?

http://www.miniinthebox.com/flash-hot-shoe-adapter-hd-n3_p284378.html

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:55 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

I just tried another "dumb" flash, an old Vivatar 285HV, directly in the hotshoe and it works perfectly. My guess is that anything one attaches which has only a single, central spring pin that makes contact with the larger, central hotshoe contact point would work. Perhaps on these more sophisticated flashes, the other pins on the bottom of the flashes are causing the issues.

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:40 PM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I just tried another "dumb" flash, an old Vivatar 285HV, directly in the hotshoe and it works perfectly. My guess is that anything one attaches which has only a single, central spring pin that makes contact with the larger, central hotshoe contact point would work. Perhaps on these more sophisticated flashes, the other pins on the bottom of the flashes are causing the issues.

Yes, that could be the reason, just checked it after your post, and even my small SB400 has 4 "pins" as the big guns.

I also has a ringsflash (Sunpak), but I do not think this will work.

I am not so interested in buying a new flash, when having 5, or using too much money, when I have all those flashes, and all works so very good on Nikon, so I hope for a cheap solution ?, and it is fine for me if I can only use it in manual mode (flash manual mode)

Jan 16, 2013 at 03:52 PM
cjrpostma

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

I have the DP2M and I use my Nikon SB-910 mounted directly into the hotshoe on the camera all the time. Works great in manual mode.

I also have Cactus triggers and they work perfectly.

Just go all manual mode.

Jan 16, 2013 at 04:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

marcus riley
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

Make sure you're using the newest firmware also. There were some changes in the last few firmwares that started allowing non-sigma flashes to be used if the settings are set right.

Jan 16, 2013 at 06:42 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

I just tried an old Nikon SB-30 and it works perfectly (and it's a very nice fit for the DP2M).

I will rig a piece of aluminium foil for use in the studio (to keep that flash's light off the subject, and to use the flash to trigger the strobes).

I love the fact that the DP2 will sync at any shutter speed, too; I am thinking on how to set up a proper diffuser on the camera and use for fill outside. This camera continues to amaze me, I admit!

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

cjrpostma wrote:
I have the DP2M and I use my Nikon SB-910 mounted directly into the hotshoe on the camera all the time. Works great in manual mode.

I also have Cactus triggers and they work perfectly.

Just go all manual mode.

That sounds very good, and I can not imagine, that there are some differences from my flashes to SB 910 = Would be happy enough if I can use the SB 400 = Very light, you can bounce it =you can not with the Sigma flash for this camera, and I am beginning to value lightness and "pocetable" a lot.

-----

Thanks Marcus

---

"This camera continues to amaze me, I admit!" = Thanks Kit :Lovely to read, I think I will get mine in the next week.

--

Hope OP reads all this new

Jan 17, 2013 at 04:25 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

Here's what the setup looks like for using studio strobes; it works perfectly; the the aluminium foil keeps all the SB-30 light off the subject.

The next image shows a "BetterBounceCard" attached; with the aluminium foil in place, all light is directed up, and the whole thing becomes a decent diffuser for fill light.

The last image shows what real controls look like: you have a choice on the dial of 1/1 (full power), 1/8, or 1/32; then the little switch to the left can halve or double thatso all powers from 1/32 to full.

To use, go all manual on the DP2M; and remember that this camera can sync at any shutter speed!

aluminium foil blocks direct flash

BetterBounceCard attached

Simple manual controls from yesteryear

Jan 17, 2013 at 06:10 AM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

Im sorry if this is a dumb question (Im a bit lost here and have no experience with flashes) but will the Canon flashes work with the Sigma?
Im a Dslr Canon user and Im thinking about buying a couple of Canon flashes for macro, product photography with a light cube, etc. Ive been using continuous light; good for the light cube but not that good for everything else including transportation.
Thank you very much.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

If you look at #4, there are some answers, but it looks like there has been some update since, so it should be easier = #10 and ...if... SB910 is not different from other Nikon flashes .....or Canon flashes ??......it should be possible to use them in manual mode - both the camera and the flash shall be in manual mode = No TTL Balanced (BL) (Nikon words) = But that is not so problematic, you just set your flash to the output you want - some trial and error is needed in the beginning, but that is also the issue sometimes with TTL balanced.

Perhaps some others can confirm this - or not ?

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

Luis Cunha wrote:
Im sorry if this is a dumb question (Im a bit lost here and have no experience with flashes) but will the Canon flashes work with the Sigma?
Im a Dslr Canon user and Im thinking about buying a couple of Canon flashes for macro, product photography with a light cube, etc. Ive been using continuous light; good for the light cube but not that good for everything else including transportation.
Thank you very much.

Canon (and all other flashes) will at least work through a simple remote trigger (and possibly directly on-camera; this seems to be a bit uncertain). However, in all cases, they'll be full-manual anyway. You're probably better off getting a bunch of (much cheaper) third-party manual-control-only flashes. While all the fancy ETTLII features and high output power of the Canon flashes can be useful in unpredictable and dynamically changing conditions (e.g. wedding/event photography), for macro/product photography, where you have plenty of time to tweak perfect lighting (typically at lower power), you can easily get three manual flashes plus triggers for the price of one (no more useful) Canon flash.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

Yes we look forward to some to chime in with the new update of the SIGMA DP2M - I think it is 1.03 and then mount some Nikon and/or Canon flashes direcly to the camera and shoot it in manuel mode for both the camera and the flash, but we can say, that Nikon SB910 works, so I asume all Nikon flashes will work

I will get it next week, I presume, so I will do it of course

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:16 PM
amplexis
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

is it true that the DPM cameras have a leaf shutter and will sync flash @ 2000/s? (above f/5.6, @ f/4 1600/s and @ f/2.8 1250/s) is this true for the Merell DSLR? are people buying these cameras for this feature? with a trigger can i get these sync speeds with studio flash?

Jan 17, 2013 at 01:53 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill External Flash

amplexis wrote:
is it true that the DPM cameras have a leaf shutter and will sync flash @ 2000/s? (above f/5.6, @ f/4 1600/s and @ f/2.8 1250/s) is this true for the Merell DSLR? are people buying these cameras for this feature? with a trigger can i get these sync speeds with studio flash?

The DP*M cameras are leaf shutter, and should sync at full shutter speed (I've seen a few reports of syncing only being reliable up to ~1/1600, but this is probably due to limitations in the particular trigger in use not being fast enough. A simpler "dumb" trigger might work better than a fancy system that needs to send all sorts of control information). The DSLR has a focal plane shutter, with the normal flash sync limitations.

Jan 17, 2013 at 02:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password