New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

I just purchased a Zeiss 35 F2 lens and was trying it out today on my 1DsII... I do not have live-view, and the LCD screen is antiquated... I had about a 10% keeper rate (out of focus)... Tried my wife's 7D with live view and keepers rose to about 90%... Now I need a camera with live-view... My wife told me to buy the 5DIII but honestly I do not want to spend that much... I see you can still purchase a new 5DII at Amazon, and other places... Hence, the question, Does the 5DII have as good an LCD monitor / live-view as the 7D ?? Thanks, Jim

Nov 06, 2012 at 10:07 PM
myron lee
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

I have both the 7D and 5Dii. I never thought to compare side to side, but both LCD screens are the same size and both have 10x live view. More importantly, MF can be achieved using Liveview, even in daylight.

Also you might consider a view finder that fits over your LCD screen. Works great MFing when handheld.
http://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Viewfinder-Magnification-Magnifier-screen/dp/B004TDXMHM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352259291&sr=1-2&keywords=perfect+viewfinder

Nov 06, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

The 7D and 5DII have LCD with the same specs: 3" diagonal, 920,000 dots, clear View LCD. Newer bodies such as the 5DIII, 6D have a slightly better screen, 3.2" diagonal 1,040,000 dots in Clear View II LCD.
On all of these bodies mentioned there is a slight sharpening at 5X and 10 magnification. Magnified Live View is a godsend for us with manual focus lenses.

Mike K

Nov 06, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

Jim, as pointed out they are both the same screen. But the 7D is crop so even before you zoom to 5 or 10x your magnifying the image from your 35mm .

Also ask yourself what else you will use the camera for ? If your doing mostly MF work with that 35 and/or lots of. Landscape stuff then there is probably little advantage to the 5D3 over the 5D2 Sontag yourself a 5D2 at a good price (maybe wait until the 6D kill the price even more) .
But if you shoot stuff that needs the better AF system then maybe bite the bullet now and get the 5D3 .
Lets face it you gp have a great AF system in the 1Ds2 at the moment , will you really be ok about going back to the 5D2 AF?

My view is (and I know it gets said when most new bodies come out , but in this case I think it could hold true) , the 5D3 has just about all the features 'normal' users could ever want that it could be considered a camera that you will own for a very long time .

Nov 07, 2012 at 02:26 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

I have a 7D and 5D2, both of 2009 vintage. Yes the screens have the same specs. However, I find the 7D screen a notch better in terms of clarity. By clarity, I mean it has better color and a bit more shadow detail (rez seems the same). Perhaps the component sourcing or software differs, I don't know. I recall the 2.5 inch screen on my 2005 5D wasn't as good as the 2.5 inch screen on my XTi (dimmer and tinted), so QC issues for components seems fairly common.

Nov 07, 2012 at 02:42 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

myron lee wrote:
I have both the 7D and 5Dii. I never thought to compare side to side, but both LCD screens are the same size and both have 10x live view. More importantly, MF can be achieved using Liveview, even in daylight.

Also you might consider a view finder that fits over your LCD screen. Works great MFing when handheld.
http://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Viewfinder-Magnification-Magnifier-screen/dp/B004TDXMHM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352259291&sr=1-2&keywords=perfect+viewfinder

Thank you... My wife has the Hoodman and is constantly checking her screen when doing macro... Today was the first time I tried live-view... Loved it...

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:46 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

Mike K wrote:
The 7D and 5DII have LCD with the same specs: 3" diagonal, 920,000 dots, clear View LCD. Newer bodies such as the 5DIII, 6D have a slightly better screen, 3.2" diagonal 1,040,000 dots in Clear View II LCD.
On all of these bodies mentioned there is a slight sharpening at 5X and 10 magnification. Magnified Live View is a godsend for us with manual focus lenses.

Mike K

Mike; Thank you... As I have grown older I find myself wanting to slow down to enjoy the landscapes I am photographing... MF does that for me... Jim

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:49 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Jim, as pointed out they are both the same screen. But the 7D is crop so even before you zoom to 5 or 10x your magnifying the image from your 35mm .

Also ask yourself what else you will use the camera for ? If your doing mostly MF work with that 35 and/or lots of. Landscape stuff then there is probably little advantage to the 5D3 over the 5D2 Sontag yourself a 5D2 at a good price (maybe wait until the 6D kill the price even more) .
But if you shoot stuff that needs the better AF system then maybe
...Show more

Ian; I would love the 1Dx, or 5DIII, but have problems justifying the expenditure... Retirement means frugality...I appreciate the comments on moving back in AF performance and will consider... Thank you, Jim

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:55 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

Gochugogi wrote:
I have a 7D and 5D2, both of 2009 vintage. Yes the screens have the same specs. However, I find the 7D screen a notch better in terms of clarity. By clarity, I mean it has better color and a bit more shadow detail (rez seems the same). Perhaps the component sourcing or software differs, I don't know. I recall the 2.5 inch screen on my 2005 5D wasn't as good as the 2.5 inch screen on my XTi (dimmer and tinted), so QC issues for components seems fairly common.

Thank you... This is very helpful... Jim

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:57 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

You might also consider getting the matte EC-S screen for your 1Ds II. It is similar to the EG-S screen for the 5D MKII, which I would recommend getting if you get a 5D II. These screens are great for using the viewfinder for manual focus. With a bit of practice and these screens designed for manual focus, it isn't that hard. So don't give up just yet. I think in time you will like your Zeiss 35 f/2 and you will get the hang of manual focus.

Nov 07, 2012 at 08:16 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

For a short period, I had both the 5DII and 7D. I would agree with the majority here and say both LCD's are pretty much one in the same. I never did a side by side comparsion, but I think you will do just fine with the 5DII.

-Nick

Nov 07, 2012 at 08:51 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

Steve Spencer wrote:
You might also consider getting the matte EC-S screen for your 1Ds II. It is similar to the EG-S screen for the 5D MKII, which I would recommend getting if you get a 5D II. These screens are great for using the viewfinder for manual focus. With a bit of practice and these screens designed for manual focus, it isn't that hard. So don't give up just yet. I think in time you will like your Zeiss 35 f/2 and you will get the hang of manual focus.

Thank you Steve... I have the EC-S on order and will pickup the EG-S if I get the 5DII... The images I got with the Zeiss 35 are amazing, so, based on that, I won't give up... Jim

Nov 07, 2012 at 01:11 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

nburwell wrote:
For a short period, I had both the 5DII and 7D. I would agree with the majority here and say both LCD's are pretty much one in the same. I never did a side by side comparsion, but I think you will do just fine with the 5DII.

-Nick

Thank you Nick...

Nov 07, 2012 at 01:12 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

Oldrattler, a suggestion, check out the Alternative Gear forum. There is a thread discussing the 5D3, it's focusing screen, AF and Alt glass. Several FM members have both the 5D2 and 5D3, if you haven't posted your LCD concerns there, you might do so...there's lots of great info in that forum.

I'm on the fence, still with older crop bodies, but looking to go FF next year with either the 5D2, 6D or 5D3. Waiting for the 6D reviews, I have read up on each body, the 5D3 has the larger LCD at 3.2" and it has no air between the LCD and protective outside glass, it also has a slightly higher resolution at 1040K. The 6D has a 3" LCD, the same resolution of the 5D3, but is not constructed, sealed like the 5D3 and it has a coated plastic cover. As for the 5D2 it's LCD is glass covered but it's resolution is 940K, not a huge difference buy as eyes get older the higher res, for me, would help.

I'm torn...they're all a huge upgrade from my crop bodies :0
- 5D3/$3000...new
- 6D/$2000...newer
- 5D2/$1700...3yrs old, option to buy more glass
(I called Canon's Loyalty Program and a 5D2 referb is $1545 w/90-day warranty)

Coming from a 40D, recently picking up a 50D, the higher res LCD is nice, Liveview is easier on the eyes; I'm not so keen on the larger RAW files

Jerry

Nov 07, 2012 at 02:47 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

The LCDs may be the same, but the overall assembly was updated on the 7D.

AS taken from a review:

A new LCD design graces the back of the Canon 7D. Canon has eliminated the air gap between the LCD and cover glass by sandwiching a special optical elastic material between the LCD and the cover glass. This optical elastic material has the same high refractive index as the glass itself. The cover glass is also a reinforced glass instead of the acrylic used on the 50D and 5D Mark II, so they also eliminated the special anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings found on the other recent EOS cameras. The appearance of the LCD is indeed reminiscent of instruments like a liquid-filled
...Show more

Nov 07, 2012 at 03:31 PM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

Gochugogi wrote:

Yes, I have both and also notice the 7D screen has slightly better color.

Nov 07, 2012 at 04:23 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

Short answer they are both great and it should not be a factor in your decision of which to buy. 7D might have a slight edge. There are different reasons to choose and based on your liking for a Zeiss 35mm, I'd lean toward 5D II.

Nov 07, 2012 at 04:34 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

StillFingerz wrote:
Oldrattler, a suggestion, check out the Alternative Gear forum. There is a thread discussing the 5D3, it's focusing screen, AF and Alt glass. Several FM members have both the 5D2 and 5D3, if you haven't posted your LCD concerns there, you might do so...there's lots of great info in that forum.

I'm on the fence, still with older crop bodies, but looking to go FF next year with either the 5D2, 6D or 5D3. Waiting for the 6D reviews, I have read up on each body, the 5D3 has the larger LCD at 3.2" and it has no air between
...Show more

Jerry; Thank you... The wife continues to say 5DIII but I have the money now for a 7D / 5DII... When you are coming from no live-view to 940K / 1040K live-view that is astronomical... Hope you have an easier time selecting than me... Jim

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:22 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

TeamSpeed wrote:
The LCDs may be the same, but the overall assembly was updated on the 7D.

AS taken from a review:

Thank you for posting... Very informative... Jim

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:23 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5DII vs 7D LCD Screen

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Short answer they are both great and it should not be a factor in your decision of which to buy. 7D might have a slight edge. There are different reasons to choose and based on your liking for a Zeiss 35mm, I'd lean toward 5D II.

You are correct in that the 5DII is better suited to my style of shooting... Ideally, I would get a 1DX and be done with it, but, not enough moo-laa... Thank you, Jim

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.