New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Questions about CPS and a 1D IIn

fastcarsspeed
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Questions about CPS and a 1D IIn

I have had this 1D IIn for about 9 months and need to send it off for a clean and check. Will they be able to tell me if the shutter has been replaced on it? Body has 360K clicks on it and wanting to figure out if I am going to have to put a new shutter in this thing or not. Also any clue on how much a new shutter is these days?

Nov 06, 2012 at 03:57 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Questions about CPS and a 1D IIn

I'm not certain if they can tell if the shutter has been replaced or not, but they probably can .. best to ask them. New shutter install is $300 total .. with 360k clicks there are other possible issues to consider such as mirror box, and generally dials & buttons have a finite life as well .. all mechanical and electro-mechanical parts are subject to wear & eventual failure. So you may pre-emptively replace your shutter only to have something else fail soon afterwards.

Great camera .. still use mine

Nov 06, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Questions about CPS and a 1D IIn

They track serial numbers of the cameras they've worked on (I believe)...so they should be able to tell you that info

Nov 06, 2012 at 10:14 PM
fastcarsspeed
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Questions about CPS and a 1D IIn

Yeah she works great but since I am the 3rd owner of this body I just want to make sure she is up to the task. Going to send her in for a Clean and Check after I get my 7D back. Hopefully everything is good as I am still debating on a used 5D II, save for the 5D III or opt for the 6D when it hits .

Nov 06, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Questions about CPS and a 1D IIn

Well, i am going to get 1DX, so i will put that 1D IIn for sale, but i don't know if i should send it for service first before sell or not, i am the only owner and i bought it new, i didn't shoot with too much, maybe nearly 50-80k clicks i think.

Nov 07, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Questions about CPS and a 1D IIn

If the clean and check is in the form of a free coupon, there's no reason not to send it in. As a buyer, I'd feel much more confident buying one that has recently been checked out and has an accurate shutter count.

If you don't have a coupon, you have to decide if the cost of the C&C is worth the $. Will you really sell it for $100 (I think its about that much) more with the check than without? Thats for you to decide.

Nov 07, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Questions about CPS and a 1D IIn

fastcarsspeed wrote:
I have had this 1D IIn for about 9 months and need to send it off for a clean and check. Will they be able to tell me if the shutter has been replaced on it? Body has 360K clicks on it and wanting to figure out if I am going to have to put a new shutter in this thing or not. Also any clue on how much a new shutter is these days?

Unless the body is 'mission critical 'then I'd wait until it craps its shutter. A shutter can die at any point. There are loads of users on here that have had multiple shutters crap out with 30K on the clock .

Sure it's nice to know how much the shutter has done but I'm not sure it tells you much for the future.

Also with 350k or more on te ody you may find that if/when canon do replace a shuttle they may do more work as well (mirror box etc) . So you may have a larger bill than just the shutter .

Nov 07, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Questions about CPS and a 1D IIn

Another thing to think about is how much longer Canon will be servicing that particular camera. They no longer service the 1DMk2, so I wonder when they will do the same for the Mk2n as well.
Then again you don't have to have it serviced by Canon.

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:33 PM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Questions about CPS and a 1D IIn

Send it in for a cleaning. Canon will tell you if something is worn past its service life.

If it is your work camera, and you plan to keep hammering the shutter, get it replaced. otherwise, wait until it croaks. MTBF is a statistical yardstick, not a gas tank. For every shutter that dies at 10K, 20K, etc, there is another one to go 500K to balance the equation.

Heck, depending on your luck, you could get it replaced, and 500 clicks later, have it die. Of course, Canon would warranty that, but still, that's the nature of statistics.

Nov 08, 2012 at 03:19 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Questions about CPS and a 1D IIn

They know two counts. Clicks on a body and clicks on a shutter. About $300 with CPS Gold discount.

Nov 08, 2012 at 05:37 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.