Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

alexhibbert
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

Hi all,

I'm a photographer myself but want to take a step back for an important wedding next year late May/ early June in Pittsburgh, PA. I'm looking for a talented, unobtrusive reportage-style photographer to provide a simple package from ceremony to mid-reception - just basic images delivered on DVD and so the fee would be for their time. Not looking to go crazily over $700.

I appreciate this is not the place for ads or hard-sells and so please no offers of your own services. I'd love to hear from anyone who could recommend a great photographer in that area. I'm looking for the opinions of photographers and not from the (more biased) former brides, grooms or families! I'm from the UK and have no local contacts and thought I'd seek the advice of a community I trust.

Thanks!

(please please no torrent of PMs and emails offering your services...)

Nov 06, 2012 at 06:16 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

hmmm $700... I'd recommend craigslist.com, can't guarantee that you'll get anyone good though.

Nov 06, 2012 at 06:59 PM
alexhibbert
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

RichardLavigne wrote:
hmmm $700... I'd recommend craigslist.com, can't guarantee that you'll get anyone good though.

Agreed, but if a ceiling budget is stated then a photographer as a natural businessman will always try and push that upwards.......hence the 'not crazily over' bit.

Nov 06, 2012 at 07:15 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think you have to worry about getting a torrent of PMs and emails from FMers offering their services for a $700 wedding in which there isn't even a specific date for.

You might be able to get someone if it's a lot closer to the actual date and we're still not booked on that date. If you want someone to commit now, then -- like Rich said -- you may want to hit up Craigslist and hope for the best.

Nov 06, 2012 at 08:28 PM
alexhibbert
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

I don't want to appear rude either, but would it be worth reading my response to that particular issue? I'm well aware of the realities of the photography industry and $700 is not the max budget.

Nov 06, 2012 at 08:32 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

alexhibbert wrote:
Agreed, but if a ceiling budget is stated then a photographer as a natural businessman will always try and push that upwards.......hence the 'not crazily over' bit.

OK... so what defines "not crazily over"? $1000? even at that price, I don't think you're going to find anyone that is good.

I have a package that fits your needs, it's $3000.

Nov 06, 2012 at 08:52 PM
alexhibbert
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

$1500 or a little above would be worth discussing. $3000 would sadly not be given the limited time and PP commitment requested.

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:16 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

alexhibbert wrote:
$1500 or a little above would be worth discussing. $3000 would sadly not be given the limited time and PP commitment requested.

Good luck.

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:59 PM
fotojennik
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

I'm fairly new to the business, could maybe do it for close to that budget
Oh yeah, I live in Pittsburgh.

Also, it depends on the date, as I have 1 booking in May and 2 in June already.

Edited on Nov 08, 2012 at 03:34 PM · View previous versions

Nov 06, 2012 at 11:35 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

alexhibbert wrote:

What you're failing to understand is that somebody is committing their day for this regardless of whether you plan to process yourself or not. This is not a winning proposition for a talented photographer who could otherwise book the date for their normal rate.

Do whatever you like, but you're going to have a rough time finding someone good based on what you've posted.

P.S. You look like a cool guy from your expeditions website, but consider what your response would be if someone said hey I want to go on an expedition but I have my own dogs and gear, and I really just need you to be there to point us in the right direction. Would you charge them less, or would you say I'm sorry I'm not the guy for you?

P.P.S. Do you have a proper license for that video on page 5 with the Adele music? Just wondering.

Nov 06, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

Try CL or an art school near Pitt

@ 7 c notes; it is a gamble

Nov 07, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

I could do it for the "little over $1,500" range. PM me for my website.

Not going to post it because I know I'll get lots of haters flaming me in... oh, I'd say about 3 to 4 minutes. 10 minutes, MAX.

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:04 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

alexhibbert wrote:
if a ceiling budget is stated then a photographer as a natural businessman will always try and push that upwards

Not all of us play games like that. I sure don't. Actually, I don't even ask the budget when someone calls, I just give them the price.

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:30 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

I find it disconcerting when even someone in our very own profession does not value good photography. If I could do it over again, I would gladly pay someone $7K for just the files. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with our shitty photos.

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:07 AM
alexhibbert
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

Inku Yo wrote:
I find it disconcerting when even someone in our very own profession does not value good photography. If I could do it over again, I would gladly pay someone $7K for just the files. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with our shitty photos.

Many self-respecting professionals in any industry would consider themselves lucky to earn $1500 for a couple of days work. Perhaps some perspective is in order.....

If you can afford $7k for just the files, well done you. Most people can't.

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:16 AM
alexhibbert
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

D. Diggler wrote:
Not all of us play games like that. I sure don't. Actually, I don't even ask the budget when someone calls, I just give them the price.

Good to hear - sadly you're not typical of the majority!

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:17 AM
alexhibbert
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

fotojennik wrote:
I'm fairly new to the business, could maybe do it for close to that budget
Oh yeah, I live in Pittsburgh.

Also, it depends on the date, as I have 1 booking in May and 2 in June already.

Thanks Kevin, I'll make contact. Your work is a good way above that of some of the more bullish commentators on here....

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

alexhibbert wrote:
Many self-respecting professionals in any industry would consider themselves lucky to earn $1500 for a couple of days work. Perhaps some perspective is in order.....

If you can afford $7k for just the files, well done you. Most people can't.

Yes, $7k is on the higher end of the spectrum, but as a professional photographer you want to spend $700? C'mon, man. I'm sure Mario Andretti doesn't want to drive a Hyundai. He'd at least spring for an Acura.

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:23 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

wow really? I really hope someone is not going to consider this for $700. Even if pushed to $1500, I wouldn't do it. I would rather sit at home and not work than be a slave for little pay.

Nov 09, 2012 at 06:01 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wedding photographer near Pittsburgh

Just when i was getting bored with this forum because of the absences of our drama queens - form and marti.g3...

Tag!!!

Please note that OP is from UK. He might be referring to 700 which is what.... eleventy billion US dollars?

Nov 09, 2012 at 06:06 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password