Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Help me choose new lens!

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Help me choose new lens!

Primes can be a slippery slope. They are the lenses that can create a "look" zooms can't. They can also be a PITA because you start to identify focus issues you didn't have before, focal length frustrations, etc...and sometimes they make you want to sell your zooms.

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:45 PM
AgentM
• •
p.3 #2 · Help me choose new lens!

A few months ago I discussed the option of prime lenses over the zooms I was using. Also because I wanted to get a different look in my photos.
Well - I took the plunge and bought a 35L and 135L. I used both these lenses for an engagement shoot and loved them. Especially the 135L.

Thanks a lot for all the help.
Here are some I took.

Apr 04, 2013 at 03:18 PM
leethecam
• •
p.3 #3 · Help me choose new lens!

You can get some quite stunning images with your set of lenses.

For safety I use the combo of 24-70 and 70-200 and get virtually everything I need with these.

However I recently tried a combo of 35L 1.4 and 70-200L 2.8 I loved the way it made me work and the results were great - but I did have to change the way I perceived my shots... perhaps it was just this change that I liked so much.

The moments you capture are what makes them special. Shallow DoF or silky "looks" are secondary.

LEE

Apr 04, 2013 at 06:52 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · Help me choose new lens!

AgentM wrote:
Hey guys...need some help with lens choices.

I am a wedding photographer and I currently shoot mainly with these lenses:
Canon 24-70, 85mm F1.8, 70-200mm, 16-35mm.

I want to choose a lens that

a. I will often use
b. That will give me a new 'look' to my photos

What do YOU recommend?

Thanks
Henk

I am not reading everyone else's response. Sorry if this was said before...

Only you know what to get or what you need. But if you truly want a new look go all prime. Or if you have some extra cash to burn, get a fisheye or a tilt shift.

I went all prime and it challenges me to plan more and think more. I shoot the following on Nikon

8mm fisheye
17mm
28mm
50mm
85mm
150mm

I am thinking of adding a tilt shift or one of the new 28-300 VR. WOuld be a sweet lens to have when thin DOF is not my priority.

Hope this helps

Apr 04, 2013 at 06:56 PM
AgentM
• •
p.3 #5 · Help me choose new lens!

great points

leethecam wrote:
You can get some quite stunning images with your set of lenses.

For safety I use the combo of 24-70 and 70-200 and get virtually everything I need with these.

However I recently tried a combo of 35L 1.4 and 70-200L 2.8 I loved the way it made me work and the results were great - but I did have to change the way I perceived my shots... perhaps it was just this change that I liked so much.

The moments you capture are what makes them special. Shallow DoF or silky "looks" are secondary.

LEE

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom K.
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · Help me choose new lens!

Sigma 35 f/1.4. Shoot wide open or close to it. Stunning look. Reasonable price.

Apr 06, 2013 at 12:32 AM
rodmcwha
• •
p.3 #7 · Help me choose new lens!

Different strokes, etc. -but I don't want to spend half my time at a wedding looking for the right lens. If you do you will miss a lit of moments!
I might suggest, though, the 200 f2. it will do things you can't even imagine till you mount it up.

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:12 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · Help me choose new lens!

Kittyk wrote:
waist shooter? this virtually resolves all "look into camera" documentary issues. look your subjects to the eyes, shoot from chest / waist level

Hey, stranger.

Any tips on how to do the waist-level shot? Focal length? How to focus?

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:28 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · Help me choose new lens!

zalmyb wrote:
Shoot an entire wedding at one focal length at f/8 (or some other arbitrary limitation).

I just heard that [top 10] photog Ryan Brenizer said he wanted to change things up so he set his cam's shutter at 1/8000 and shot the entire bride prep at that!

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:36 AM
Corojo
• • •
p.3 #10 · Help me choose new lens!

keep your current gear - add either the 14mm L or 300 2.8 L. simple.... Ed K.

Apr 06, 2013 at 06:16 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password