Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Help me choose new lens!

AgentM
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Help me choose new lens!

Hey guys...need some help with lens choices.

I am a wedding photographer and I currently shoot mainly with these lenses:
Canon 24-70, 85mm F1.8, 70-200mm, 16-35mm.

I want to choose a lens that

a. I will often use
b. That will give me a new 'look' to my photos

What do YOU recommend?

Thanks
Henk

Nov 05, 2012 at 01:47 AM
awad
• •
p.1 #2 · Help me choose new lens!

24TSE 24L 35L 50L 45TSE 85L 135L 200L etc...

Nov 05, 2012 at 02:13 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Help me choose new lens!

You've got everything you need. Use what you've got in new ways instead of buying more gear.

- trr

Nov 05, 2012 at 02:23 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Help me choose new lens!

TRReichman wrote:
You've got everything you need. Use what you've got in new ways instead of buying more gear.

- trr

I normally disagree with TRR on gear type things, but I agree here.

You have everything you "need", so unless you want to start shooting with primes or have a specific look you want to achieve... why spend the money?

Nov 05, 2012 at 02:34 AM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #5 · Help me choose new lens!

Do you shoot with two bodies on you at once? If you do, and you insist on changing something up, I would try to replace the 24-70 with a fast prime, like a 35L or 50mm. It would give you a wider lens with a faster than 2.8 aperture to use other than the 85. It will also cause you to move around more which typically results in more thought out compositions. I would lean toward the 35L. The 1.4 aperture will be useful in low light, but will also give you a "different look" in the wider-aperture bokeh that the 24-70 can't achieve at that focal length since it's a 2.8. If you only use one body, then maybe the zoom range of the 24-70 is crucial, in which case I would say not to change a thing. I think too often we overthink gear as a way to push ourselves. I have done it. It can be helpful, but certainly not a necessity.

Nov 05, 2012 at 02:42 AM
AgentM
• •
p.1 #6 · Help me choose new lens!

man - I cant get rid of the 24-70. This lens is my workhorse and I love the zoom capability. I do shoot with two bodies.
The lens I am considering is the 50 F1.2. This lens is so expensive....I want to make
sure it will be a lens I will use.

Nov 05, 2012 at 03:16 AM
awad
• •
p.1 #7 · Help me choose new lens!

AgentM wrote:
man - I cant get rid of the 24-70. This lens is my workhorse and I love the zoom capability. I do shoot with two bodies.
The lens I am considering is the 50 F1.2. This lens is so expensive....I want to make
sure it will be a lens I will use.

it will be. my 50L stays on my camera 85% of the time. phenomenal lens.

Nov 05, 2012 at 03:19 AM
BGP1
• • •
p.1 #8 · Help me choose new lens!

I would say nothing if what you have is working for you but if you must I would suggest the 35L.

Nov 05, 2012 at 03:30 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Help me choose new lens!

i think you just lust after more gear, nothing is here which can stop you
if you want new look or are bored, just try some innovative approach instead using new gear.
what i do (even many of them through the day)

-fish eye or 14-24. This is fun if you can pull it
-i am sexy and i f8 it (f8 and be there)
-i did one wedding with 135 only
-i did one wedding with 35 only
-do you know how cool it is to be experienced waist shooter? this virtually resolves all "look into camera" documentary issues. look your subjects to the eyes, shoot from chest / waist level (practice well before first using it on something critical)

Nov 05, 2012 at 03:34 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Help me choose new lens!

rent a few lenses and try them out...most people on here would cringe to hear you say that the 24-70 is your workhorse, so there is really noone's opinion that can tell you what new lens you would use.

Nov 05, 2012 at 04:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

david1234
• • •
p.1 #11 · Help me choose new lens!

35L
sell the 24-70 youll thank me

Nov 05, 2012 at 04:25 AM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #12 · Help me choose new lens!

david1234 wrote:
sell the 24-70 youll thank me

This really is good advice that many will agree with. When I started I used all zooms. Now, I use four primes and one zoom and I'll never look back. I held onto the 70-200 but only use it occasionally for some ceremonies and things outside of weddings like sports. When it comes to weddings, fast primes are your friend.

Nov 05, 2012 at 04:36 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Help me choose new lens!

no, nobody should ever sell 24-70 once he/she have it. It is one lens army practical for most single camera situations or when you just have to get the shot regardless of anything. It doubles as awesome 35-105 on DX crop and is usually one of the sharper lenses in everybody's bag.

Nov 05, 2012 at 05:31 AM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #14 · Help me choose new lens!

Kittyk wrote:
no, nobody should ever sell 24-70 once he/she have it. It is one lens army practical for most single camera situations or when you just have to get the shot regardless of anything. It doubles as awesome 35-105 on DX crop and is usually one of the sharper lenses in everybody's bag.

Meh, if I had the choice of 35L or 24-70 I know what I would pick. Especially if I have a second body on me with a telephoto attached. I'd rather have a superior lens and zoom with my feet. Sure, zooms may be just as sharp as primes when stopped down, but I think I'm not alone when saying that a 35L at 2.8 will blow away a 24-70 at 2.8. And when you're at a dimly-lit ceremony or reception shooting at high ISOs and f/1.4 or 1.8, you'll be glad you have it rather than being forced to use flash because you're restricted to 2.8.

Different strokes for different folks. The important thing is to use what works for YOU!

Nov 05, 2012 at 05:53 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Help me choose new lens!

Kittyk wrote:

You obviously haven't used the crappy Canon version

Nov 05, 2012 at 05:54 AM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #16 · Help me choose new lens!

For the "new look" you're looking for, here's what you need: 24TSE & the 45TSE. You may or may not use it often though. :-)

Nov 05, 2012 at 05:58 AM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #17 · Help me choose new lens!

I have the crappy 24-70. It's not a go to lens, but it can be useful at times.

OP - A specialty lens might be fun to work with. Out of everything mentioned, I think a 35L would be your best bet, good luck!

Nov 05, 2012 at 02:55 PM
AgentM
• •
p.1 #18 · Help me choose new lens!

yes I looked into the 45TSE but would rather invest into something else.

Interesting that folks are more for the 35L versus 50L. Probably because its wider.
But the DOP on the 50L !

I still dont think I will sell my 24-70.

Nov 05, 2012 at 02:56 PM
AgentM
• •
p.1 #19 · Help me choose new lens!

Interesting points you make....shooting waist up. If I want to get a lower angle I usually
simply bend my knees? Isnt that the same?

Kittyk wrote:
i think you just lust after more gear, nothing is here which can stop you
if you want new look or are bored, just try some innovative approach instead using new gear.
what i do (even many of them through the day)

-fish eye or 14-24. This is fun if you can pull it
-i am sexy and i f8 it (f8 and be there)
-i did one wedding with 135 only
-i did one wedding with 35 only
-do you know how cool it is to be experienced waist shooter? this virtually resolves all "look into camera" documentary issues. look your subjects to the eyes,
...Show more

Nov 05, 2012 at 02:58 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Help me choose new lens!

I think adding more lenses when you have enough, something that works, is simply detrimental to your mindset and workflow of shooting on the day.

I usually stick to 85, 16-35, 35, 135. I'd usually only use 135 if there is a huge distance between me and the subject, and I'd only use 35 if the light is very low.

I have a LOT to work on in terms of photographic skills and ability, but I know adding equipment will not aid that growth. Personally, I'd wipe that from your mind.

Nov 05, 2012 at 03:32 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password