Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · new website, my misses doesnīt like it...

heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · new website, my misses doesnīt like it...

Hi dear fellow photogs,

I am sorry but may I bother you to give me some feedback of my new website? I say sorry because I did so for a few months ago. I totally redesigned it, in part because of the feedback I got here.
I am new in the business and would really appreciate you taking the time and have a look. Donīt hold back, I can take it.

Again, you may wonder why the site is in English though I am based in Germany. I will move to Australia in about a few months, so addressing the local target market is a bit difficult at the time.

www.schmidt-weddingphoto.com

Thank you for your time,

heiko

"ALLREADY SET THE WEBSITE BACK TO THE PREVIOUS VERSION BECAUSE OF BAD IMPRESSION"

Edited on Nov 05, 2012 at 05:34 PM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2012 at 06:37 PM
swoop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · new website, my misses doesnīt like it...

No offense but it looks cheap. Which is weird because my website is essentially the same layout, but I guess it's the header. It just doesn't fit. My suggestion is to change that up.

Nov 04, 2012 at 07:24 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #3 · new website, my misses doesnīt like it...

OK so I think you're wife's right. It's a good start but really needs some work. As Swoop mentioned, it does look a bit cheap.

Main reasons for this as I see it:
*Logo and banner at the top - Logo looks like it was something you did in photoshop and the cherub looks dark and moody but not really in a good way
*Colours: It seem pretty dark overall. Most modern wedding photography sites err towards a light colourscheme with some actual colour. I used to be all dark but changed it a while ago and am really pleased I did.
*Footer - Having categories, archives etc on your main homepage makes it look really basic
*Heading Text - Typography is all wrong and the font doesn't look all that great. Added to that you've really mixed the lower case and caps. Pick one and stick with it.
*Image choices - You seem to have a really impressionistic style of photography. That's cool and stick to what you like but it's always good to throw in one or two really well done normal ones. I'm really not sure I'd hire you based off those shots mainly because I wouldn't know if you could cover the basics well.
*Slideshow plugin - Looks a bit cheap and like it was repurposed from something else. It even has a shopping cart for your portfolio!

Sorry to be a bit harsh but keep with it, it's worth it in the long run.

Alex

Nov 04, 2012 at 08:21 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #4 · new website, my misses doesnīt like it...

Hm, think I should trust my misses more.
Thank you for your comments. I think you are right about the cheap impression. Yes, my wife said that, too.
The logo was created cheap (not even photoshop) but I like it actually, maybe better black on withe.
My first site was much brighter, thought somehow it looked like everybody else's, thought mine looks fresh, now I think I was wrong.
Apparently I am not good in design, how should I, itīs a profession.

Alex, about the impressionistic pictures, I think I have "normal" ones in my portfolio.

OK, letīs do it again... even if it sounds depressed, I am not (0:

heiko

Nov 04, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

SparkleDogtoo

p.1 #5 · new website, my misses doesnīt like it...

The header doesn't say weddings at all to me, more vampire obsessed teenager. I would get rid of the blue text (unless it's is a link), all the gray fields and stick to one font that is not italic. Less really is more on most of this stuff.

Also if the header isn't as deep, the first photo in the slideshow will be in frame when people come to the site.

Nov 05, 2012 at 01:49 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · new website, my misses doesnīt like it...

I don't know if "cheap" is the descriptor I would use... but I do agree that the design of the site doesn't seem to match the level of technical proficiency that is displayed in the photographs.

Nov 05, 2012 at 02:21 AM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #7 · new website, my misses doesnīt like it...

ALLREADY SET THE WEBSITE BACK TO THE PREVIOUS VERSION BECAUSE OF BAD IMPRESSION

Thank you for your competent evaluation. For now, I changed it back, will develop something new.

heiko

Nov 05, 2012 at 05:35 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #8 · new website, my misses doesnīt like it...

The old site isn't bad, but I'd suggest finding another font for your logo. The mac handwritten font is easily recognizable as such.

Your images are good, your website needs a look to match the photo quality. I know we try to not have identical looking sites, but check out Rawfolio. I had my base rawfoilo site up and running in about 4 hours. It took a while to tweak a lof of the options and detail things, but it was $100 well spent

Nov 07, 2012 at 02:20 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password