New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · problem deleting files from CF card

stan2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · problem deleting files from CF card

this one is bugging me. When I have a full CF card and connect to computer to import to computer, delete pics from the card, etc, after deleting by moving the images on the card to the trash, when I put the card back in the camera, my camera tells me the card is still full. Very annoying when I head out to shoot thinking I have an empty card. What am I missing here? when I read the info on the card, it says there are plenty of gb open on the card, but the camera says I have just a few pics then the card is full. I've tried waiting for several minutes to see if it's a matter of time to delete, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Nov 04, 2012 at 11:39 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · problem deleting files from CF card

I always reformat rather than deleting files. I have a batch file on the Desktop for that purpose.

EBH

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:48 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · problem deleting files from CF card

Format the card in the camera.

Nov 04, 2012 at 02:17 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · problem deleting files from CF card

Yes format it in the camera

Nov 05, 2012 at 04:13 AM
stan2
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · problem deleting files from CF card

thanks all.. that's what I ended up doing.

Nov 05, 2012 at 04:27 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · problem deleting files from CF card

Sure, but that does not explain the problem. Are you using a Mac?

EBH

Nov 05, 2012 at 07:31 AM
stan2
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · problem deleting files from CF card

yes EBH. macbook pro. funny thing is that when I ck the info on the card via 'finder/get info', it shows as the storage on the card increased after deleting, as expected. But when I ck the storage via 'about this mac' it showed the card as still full, which coincides with what the camera is telling me, ie, card full.

some of what's still on the card, I think, are files I deleted already. Nonetheless, I was in a rush yesterday so I imported the whole card into LR4 and then formatted in camera. Then, I went back and deleted that import since it was trash. I guess my bad habit is not importing the entire card sometimes and then reformatting each time.

Nov 05, 2012 at 12:25 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · problem deleting files from CF card

When you delete files on a computer like that you have to actually empty the trash/recycle bin, until then it's not actually deleted. The reason why it works that way is so that if you want to change your mind you can just remove those items from the trash/recycle bin.

It's also generally a good idea to just reformat the card in the camera. Also if you delete images on your card in the camera you'll find those files haven't actually been deleted. The camera just has permission to overwrite the space that those old images occupied.

It's all about understand how computer filesystems work. In the past you had to also be a chemist to be a photographer. Now you have to understand computers.

Nov 05, 2012 at 12:49 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.