Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

Idle0095

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

Can some one help and point me in the right direction. Im looking for some studio lighting. Maybe a temp setup like Novatron makes. I just dont know were to begin. I want a light with softbox in the front and maybe one more light to put behind the subjects. Maybe a 3 light strobe setup. I just dont know were to go to find a system.

Nov 04, 2012 at 07:56 AM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

http://paulcbuff.com[/url]

Nov 04, 2012 at 08:08 AM
Idle0095

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

Ouch the prices are crazy for these units. Im wondering how good two nikon sb 700 with pocket wizards would be and how they would be? I already have light stands and the flash adapters with umbrellas. Would just need two pocket wizard flex and one mini and two speed lights.

After thinking about the cost of all that its up in the same price as portable studio lighting.

Nov 04, 2012 at 08:15 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

You should state your budget first to help you best. There are many good choices in many price ranges.

Nov 04, 2012 at 11:27 AM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

?? First, you asked for studio lighting, not for system flashes.
Also, a Nikon SB700 is $ 325 while an AlienBees B400 is only $ 225...

Nov 04, 2012 at 11:28 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

Idle0095 wrote:
Ouch the prices are crazy for these units. Im wondering how good two nikon sb 700 with pocket wizards would be and how they would be?

Speedlights aren't studio flashes.
They're portable lighting compromises...

And if you're trying to be frugal, you should be looking at old SB28 flashes or the newer YongNuo Vivitar copies...

Nov 04, 2012 at 03:38 PM
Idle0095

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

What I want is to be able to set some small lights up when doing my kids and family. A portable set would be nice. My budget for used stuff would be aboue $600. I would like two lights and the box that controls them. I went to a friends photgraphy studio and he has a 6' softbox in the front and had a regular flash in the back and took some pics of my kids. The affect with the light behind them was awesome. I want a system like that. So either 2 or 3 lights. Need everything but the wireless triggers. Anything out there for that price range?

Nov 04, 2012 at 03:41 PM
LarryBoy57
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

Idle0095 wrote:
What I want is to be able to set some small lights up when doing my kids and family. A portable set would be nice. My budget for used stuff would be aboue $600. I would like two lights and the box that controls them. I went to a friends photgraphy studio and he has a 6' softbox in the front and had a regular flash in the back and took some pics of my kids. The affect with the light behind them was awesome. I want a system like that. So either 2 or 3 lights. Need everything but
...Show more

Get two of these:

Alien Bees B400

Those and a soft box should keep you under your budget. Alien Bees are very well made and dependable. Probably the most popular studio flash made. Been using Alien Bees for years.

Larry

Nov 04, 2012 at 03:50 PM
Idle0095

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

LarryBoy57 wrote:
Get two of these:

Alien Bees B400

Those and a soft box should keep you under your budget. Alien Bees are very well made and dependable. Probably the most popular studio flash made. Been using Alien Bees for years.

Larry

How do you control them? My friend had a box that he turned on and it controled everything.

Nov 04, 2012 at 03:51 PM
Idle0095

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

How good is this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HK2LRK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Nov 04, 2012 at 04:20 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

Idle0095 wrote:
How good is this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HK2LRK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Junk.

Better to have one good light with one good modifier (softbox, octobox, etc.) than three bad lights. You can do a lot with one good light, and you can add more lights later as your budget allows. Until you get more lights, you can use variations in background color, use reflector panels, use window light plus strobe, etc. for various types of lighting.

Alien Bees (made in USA) and Elinchrom D-lite (made in Switzerland) are about the best bargains out there that get you enough control of power levels, reliability, and customer service to be worth the money you spend. Bowens also makes good lights.

I'd shop at reputable dealers who have been in business for a while, so that if you have problems you have somewhere to turn: Paul C Buff (direct seller of his gear), B&H Photo, Adorama, etc. With eBay and Amazon I think you're taking more of a risk.

While you're sorting out your choices, here's something that may help you along the way:

It's an ad for Profoto, but makes good general points.

Nov 04, 2012 at 09:02 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

Idle0095 wrote:
...I would like two lights and the box that controls them.

By the way, you can get either wired (cheaper) or wireless (more convenient) controlers for many of the strobes mentioned here, but it isn't mandatory to have them. Dialing in the power using the dial, lever, or buttons on the unit itself only takes moments, and once set you can use that setting for several shots.

The bigger question is how you trigger the light(s) in sync with the camera. You can use a sync cord between the camera and the closest light, and trigger the other lights (if used) from the flash of the first one; you can use a radio trigger on the camera to trip a receiver on one light, and trigger the other lights (if used) from the flash of the first one; or you can use a radio trigger on the camera to trip radio receivers on all the lights. The main reason to choose one way over the other ways is budget.

If you choose the Elinchrom D-lite it ( for "intelligent triggering") you can even trip it with the built-in flash on your camera, because it can be programmed to ignore the pre-flashes that almost all built-in flashes emit.

Nov 04, 2012 at 09:15 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

"Intelligent triggering" isn't necessary, as the built-in flash on most (if not all) camera's can be set to manual mode to eliminate the pre-flash. Using the built-in flash (in manual mode) to trigger the other lights should work fine in a small indoor area.

Nov 05, 2012 at 12:47 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

BigIronCruiser wrote:
...the built-in flash on most (if not all) camera's [sic] can be set to manual mode to eliminate the pre-flash.

Sorry, but I don't think that's correct. Many Canon cameras always fire a preflash when the pop-up is used, as they don't have a Manual mode that I'm aware of: EOS 10D through 50D, Rebels up through and including the T1i, etc.

Even when one can set Manual flash, it isn't always desirable to do so if you're changing camera-to-subject distances frequently.

Lastly, using a D-Lite along with one or more Slave Speedlites is possible using the pop-up as Master, and that requires pre-flashes for command and control, even if the pop-up is set not to fire for exposure.

Nov 05, 2012 at 01:42 AM
Idle0095

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

I have a Nikon D700. It has a build in flash. I havent figured out yet what im going to do. I would rather use wireless triggers.

Nov 05, 2012 at 07:33 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

Your D700 is a very capable camera, and the built-in flash can be configured to manual mode using menu option e3. By setting the output level to its lowest level, it can trigger the studio strobes without significantly influencing the overall exposure.

Wireless triggers are terrific, but you'll have to part with some serious $$ to get name brand proucts like PW and RP. The folks at PW did a pretty good job with their Flex/Mini line of products, particularly since they offer options (more $$) that can control speedlights, Einsteins, Alien Bee's, and Elinchrom RX units.

IMO, the best advice has already been given: AB400's. Alternatively, there are a couple of AB800's for sale right now on the Buy Sell forum. These things usually sell fast, so don't drag your feet.

Nov 05, 2012 at 08:50 AM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

Bronocolor
Profoto Pro-8
Hensel
Elinchrom

Nov 06, 2012 at 02:36 PM
iseeq4life

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

Why do people keep mentioning that AB is way more affordable then Elinchrome

The Elinchrome D-Lite 4 + two softboxes with stands + the wireless triggers is only $800.

When I check the AB equivalent, B400 + two boxes + wireless triggers it's $830 and you still have buy your own stands for the light stands and travelling case/bag.

Are they trying to sucker you in at Elinchrome with a affordable starter kit?

Nov 07, 2012 at 10:00 PM
LarryBoy57
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Help trying to BUY studio lighting.

Idle0095 wrote:
How do you control them? My friend had a box that he turned on and it controled everything.

Here is a link to a wired controller for these lights:

LG4X controller

Larry

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:56 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.