New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

We are pleased to publish this new article from Michael Kunitani (Mike K) on using external monitors to aid critical focusing and composition with Tilt and Shift lenses. Accompanied by great imagery, this article is a must read for serious landscape shooters.

Here is an excerpt from the article:
"Why use an accessory field monitor? These 4 to 7 inch monitors were developed for DSLR video use, not stills. However, for Tilt/shift use the field monitor at full image view facilitates composition at awkward viewing angles and at magnified view, can aid in fine adjustment of tilt and focus. This article covers how a high resolution external monitor can be uniquely useful in low angle T/S photography and reviews the Small HD DP6 in specific."
Read the entire article

Edited on Nov 02, 2012 at 02:46 PM

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

Nice article and examples!

I've been wondering if there are any similar options with the abundant high-rez "pads" such as iPad, Kindle, Samsung, etc. for added use as monitors for cameras.

What would it take (if possible) to mount and connect these pads for viewing? It would certainly provide a more cost-effective option.

I thought Eye-Fi might work with my Kindle Fire, but it was toooooo slow to upload, and rez was really poor. I'm sure it would need to be an HDMI output to the device, so that limits the camera models as well.

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:54 PM
buggz2k
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

Very cool, thanks for this.
I have been toying with idea of getting one of these monitors for my 5DMkII to aide in macro work.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:02 PM
Sashi
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

Nice article, and thanks to the author for writing and Fred for posting. Now to go research some external monitors

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:07 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

Very nice article - much appreciated Michael (and Fred)!!

Nov 02, 2012 at 03:40 PM
DThom

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

" I've been wondering if there are any similar options with the abundant high-rez "pads" such as iPad, Kindle, Samsung, etc. for added use as monitors for cameras."

You can use several Android tablets as a monitor and camera controller through the USB port.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller

regards
Denis

Nov 02, 2012 at 05:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1160836/0#11070908

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:11 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

The DSLR controller app via the USB port is the way I work with my Samsung Tab 10.1 since the app became available. I have advertised this more often in this forum in the past. It's a bargain solution that is very effectively. I never liked the wiring. And the special cable at a "special price" is annoying. The nice thing is, our future is wireless via WiFi for this kind of application

I can't wait to test this wireless setup with a 6D over it's WiFi and remote control app. I bet that a few studio, architect and landscape photographers are gonna appreciate the 6D more than they would have thought. Smartphone and tablets are going to be EOSfun

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:15 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

I've been checking the links within the threads here regarding the other methods, and starting to get a bit confused.

Do we have a recommendation of what is the best, cheapest, simplest, most versatile product?

And do we have a product list of compatible models of cameras and Android "monitors"? I would think excellent HD resolution would be critical.

From what I'm reading this DSLR controller seems like the best bet, relying on USB connectivity (with special connector cable?), to leave the image on the camera memory card, but be able to control and view remotely, like having a laptop on site with the camera -- correct? If so, all I need to know is if it works with very good results on Kindle Fire (original) or my Droid Bionic. If so, the total cost is the connector cable and whatever the app costs, right?

(Later) I see that DSLR Controller shows under devices that 5D2 and 60D will work. Need to find out about the output connection.

I need to check into Jim's suggestion of EOS Utility to the Kindle Fire, and the connection.

The 1Ds2 would not be supported by anything, other than wifi transmission from card slot, but no LV or controller, right? (I just read that 1DS2 doesn't work with DSLR Controller -- models need LV, and seems 7D/50D are the cut-off.)

Nov 02, 2012 at 07:51 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

Gunzorro wrote:
I've been checking the links within the threads here regarding the other methods, and starting to get a bit confused.

Do we have a recommendation of what is the best, cheapest, simplest, most versatile product?

And do we have a product list of compatible models of cameras and Android "monitors"? I would think excellent HD resolution would be critical.

From what I'm reading this DSLR controller seems like the best bet, relying on USB connectivity (with special connector cable?), to leave the image on the camera memory card, but be able to control and view remotely, like having a laptop on
...Show more

I have not tried the DSLR Controller app but it is still in beta / pre-release and it's not compatible with many devices.
See Android device compatibility: http://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php

You will need the App ($8) and the USB cable (~$4). It's potentially a great alternative.

Nov 02, 2012 at 08:38 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

I'm waiting for my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to arrive. 5.5" HD screen with 1280 x720 resolution and a Wacom stylus. It'll be perfect for this... and it's fully compatible with that DSLR Controller app.

Nov 02, 2012 at 08:46 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

I have not tried the DSLR Controller app but it is still in beta / pre-release and it's not compatible with many devices. See Android device compatibility: http://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php You will need the App ($8) and the USB cable (~$4). It's potentially a great alternative.

It's Beta for almost two years I believe, but really it's working great. I can't remember I had crashes or any kind of trouble with the apps since I use it. The USB host cable is a special connector, the one for the tablet is more expensive than for my smartphone. I can't recall exactly what I paid, but I believe it was about 30$ including the special Galaxy 10.1 adapter. Really you should give it a try. Especially since you do a lot of landscape work in the field with those TS-E lenses. I recommend to have some lighthood in the field. I made one myself from the Flip cover over my Android TAB and added some black sides with velcron tape. This keeps my tablet intact as my standard "office tool" while it can change in a few seconds into a phototool in the field.

You can see how the DSLR controller works on this youtube movie from someone having EOSfun from the same kind of setup on his small Galaxy smartphone. The Tablet is of course the better for control over the TS/E lenses because of the bigger size of the screen:

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:36 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

Great article!

The biggest problem right now with external monitors is that they lack enough resolution for critical focusing (without going to the 1:1 mode) and also the HDMI output is not that great (at least in the Canon DSLRs) but its decent enough that if the monitors were higher res it would work great for anything.

The small HD monitor looks awesome though.

Nov 03, 2012 at 09:13 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

This is a terrific article thanks. Being able to use the same batteries as the camera is an added bonus.

Nov 03, 2012 at 02:49 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

eosfun wrote:
The DSLR controller app via the USB port is the way I work with my Samsung Tab 10.1 since the app became available. I have advertised this more often in this forum in the past. It's a bargain solution that is very effectively. I never liked the wiring. And the special cable at a "special price" is annoying. The nice thing is, our future is wireless via WiFi for this kind of application

I can't wait to test this wireless setup with a 6D over it's WiFi and remote control app. I bet that a few studio, architect and landscape
...Show more

I have been looking at a 6D as a sort of bridge camera between my 1DS-mk3 and the next real studio/landscape 30+mpixel rig.

If I am not mistaken, this rig will not work well on my 1DS-mk3 with a paltry 230000 output and no HDMI.

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:19 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

Fred Miranda wrote:
I have not tried the DSLR Controller app but it is still in beta / pre-release and it's not compatible with many devices.
See Android device compatibility: http://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php

You will need the App ($8) and the USB cable (~$4). It's potentially a great alternative.

If I am not mistaken, this rig will not work well on my 1DS-mk3 with a paltry 230000 output and no HDMI.Even if it could be hooked up the poor res would hurt. I have tethered it to my laptop and still not able to get good focus.

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:22 PM
mnapuran
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

Another solution would be to mount a wireless HDMI solution and use an even larger HDMI screen

For example: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=8087&CAWELAID=1329456162

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

eosfun wrote:

I can't wait to test this wireless setup with a 6D over it's WiFi and remote control app. I bet that a few studio, architect and landscape
...Show more

I overlooked this new Canon App. So far it will only work with the new EOS 6D but it's likely that upcoming Canon SLRs will support wi-fi as well. The new EOS Remote App will work with Apple iOS and Android OS but tablets are not guaranteed to work. Check out this page for more info:
http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos_remote.aspx

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:57 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

ben egbert wrote:
If I am not mistaken, this rig will not work well on my 1DS-mk3 with a paltry 230000 output and no HDMI.Even if it could be hooked up the poor res would hurt. I have tethered it to my laptop and still not able to get good focus.

Ben, We have covered this ground with you several times over the past few years. Since the 1Ds III doesn't have enough resolution on the LCD (0.23 MDot) and no HDMI output, no amount of external screen futzing will provide the clarity and resolution you need to for accurate TSE landscape focusing. Canon bodies from the 5DII onwards have decent HDMI output and thus can be mated to larger external displays with improved software features to aid in focusing.

For example watch the Small HD video showing how Focus Assist + tracks a subject moving towards the camera. The scene is darkened, and the white edge highlighting is amplified; I call it focus peaking on steroids. In a static landscape, the focus assist + is like a wave of white edges moving forward/backwards with the DOF.
Mike K

Nov 03, 2012 at 05:08 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Article: Use of an External Monitor for Tilt/Shift

Mike K wrote:
Ben, We have covered this ground with you several times over the past few years. Since the 1Ds III doesn't have enough resolution on the LCD (0.23 MDot) and no HDMI output, no amount of external screen futzing will provide the clarity and resolution you need to for accurate TSE landscape focusing. Canon bodies from the 5DII onwards have decent HDMI output and thus can be mated to larger external displays with improved software features to aid in focusing.

For example watch the Small HD video showing how Focus Assist + tracks a subject moving towards the camera. The
...Show more

Hi Mike. great article. And yes, you have covered this many times. I only bring it up because of two things. One , perhaps some new app allows connectivity even though resolution is still poor. and two to remind others of the 1DS-mk3 limits.

I still get lots of people telling me I should be able to focus using the 1ds-mk3 live view. This is probably for several reasons. One they mistakenly believe the 1DS-mk3 is as good as a 5d-mk2. or they don't use UWA and TSE type lenses. Or at least not the way you do and I would like to do.

Nov 03, 2012 at 05:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.