Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Recommendation for camera body for sports - under $1000?

themitty
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommendation for camera body for sports - under $1000?

I've shot my kids' sporting events for the past 6-7 years, and have a lot of great photos to show for it. But I've always struggled with feeling like I have the right equipment. I'm currently shooting a Sony a77, and it worked OK for my son's football games this last season (all outdoor, Saturday mornings). As I get ready for basketball season, I'm thinking about changing up my gear to better capture the games. There are two specific things I struggle with when it comes to the Sony - one, it's not the best above ISO 1600. I used it last year, and was able to come away with useable images (for my own personal use only) with ISOs as high as 5000, but I know they can be better. The other big thing is lens selection. The only lens that's really worked for me with Sony for indoor sports is the Sony 70-200 SSM. It's a great lens, but it's big, expensive, and it's only f2.8.

I'd love to have something with fast focus, and a bigger aperture, like an 85mm 1.4 or 1.8. Sony doesn't really offer anything in this range. The 85 1.4 they have is a fantastic lens, but it's not the best in terms of focus speed.

So, all that said, what would this group recommend for a camera body to shoot sports. Ideally, I'd like to keep the cost of the body under $1000. Cameras I've thought about are used Canon 5D's, maybe an older 1D, maybe a Nikon D7000 (don't think it's much better than my a77 though). I could go a bit higher on the cost of the body if it will be a significant jump in IQ and performance - maybe a used 5D II or a D700?

Thanks for any thoughts and input.

Keith

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:49 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommendation for camera body for sports - under $1000?

I just bought a used 7d body for 900 and I am happy with them so far for the price range.....for more outdoor only shoots a canon 1dmarkiin is a nice camera. Others may be able to give better advice but that is my 2 cents worth. I do not know about the Nikon side of things.

Ben

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Robert Way
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommendation for camera body for sports - under $1000?

Sent you a PM with my thoughts.

Bob

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:40 AM
DukeK
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommendation for camera body for sports - under $1000?

If you're just shooting your kids sports go with a T2i/T3i/T4i and spend the rest on glass - the nifty 50mm f1.8 and a 70-200 f2.8. You can always upgrade the body if you outgrow it and use the old one as a spare or second camera.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommendation for camera body for sports - under $1000?

DukeK wrote:
If you're just shooting your kids sports go with a T2i/T3i/T4i and spend the rest on glass - the nifty 50mm f1.8 and a 70-200 f2.8. You can always upgrade the body if you outgrow it and use the old one as a spare or second camera.

That's probably the direction I would lean.

Bodies are (relatively) cheap and come and go. You can easily find a decent body for under a grand and so many of these new bodies are amazing at how well they handle high ISOs. On the Canon side the 7d and T4i are the first that come to mind. I would almost recommend a 1d Mk2 or Mk2n if it weren't for the way the newer bodies handle high ISOs. You can work around issues like slower fps and shutter lag with bodies like the 7d or T4i, but you'll max out at ISO3200 with bodies like the 1d Mk2 or Mk2n.

Nov 02, 2012 at 03:00 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommendation for camera body for sports - under $1000?

For the budget you've posted you wont beat a Canon 1D II or IIn. If you push up a couple of hundred bucks you can pick up a 1D III --- even the affected bodies worked fine in the shade/indoors, they just couldn't handle hard sunlight. Once you have that in place you can start getting some very good deals on glass if you're willing to forgo the latest, greatest, non-vibrating ready for video Canon offerings and buy slightly older used gear.

The 1D II with a program like noise ninja is actually pretty good up at 1600 and if you nail exposure really very usable at 3200.

Nov 02, 2012 at 11:03 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.