Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Urban 'Park'

jtchuk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Urban 'Park'

I've been working on both of these images for a while and am starting to doubt them. Any critique and comments/tips on processing would be greatly welcome. I was hoping to convey a relatively calm feel through them.

Both were shot on a Nikon D90 with the Tokina 16-28mm 2.8 lens.

Nov 02, 2012 at 03:52 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Urban 'Park'

The tree in the first has lots of character, I like it. It borders on being backlit, any chance you could do this with the light at your back? Also, the more of the tree you can include without picking up unwanted stuff the better.

Nov 02, 2012 at 02:34 PM
jtchuk

p.1 #3 · Urban 'Park'

With the first one, the slight backlighting was intended to create a certain mood. But if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'll have to look closer at how the lighting is in this space but from what I remember, it's generally shaded by a few big leaf maples. Any thoughts on the second?

Nov 02, 2012 at 05:42 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Urban 'Park'

I would get closer for the second, eliminate most of the grass, the chimney at the left and the fence at the right. There is a green object behind the foliage and in front of the chimney that I would eliminate.

Back to the first, even in shade, having the light at your back might help. But if you want a backlit image, it is certainly your choice. This is just a personal opinion.

Nov 02, 2012 at 05:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jtchuk

p.1 #5 · Urban 'Park'

Thanks, Ben. Appreciate the guidance. I think I'll have to head back and reshoot the location with it in mind. These were both made for submission to a series on urban 'backspaces'. It was difficult deciding what to include and what not to here because I felt I should have some form of urban reference to appeal to the topic.

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Urban 'Park'

Glad to help, but I hope you get more guidance than mine, I am not known around here for great composition.

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:44 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Urban 'Park'

ben egbert wrote:
Glad to help, but I hope you get more guidance than mine, I am not known around here for great composition.

I agree with Ben, but as I have previously stated, composition is relative to desired audience... If you are after a really good "snap-shot" you have it... If after a "Fine arts audience" you need to address the rule of thirds... Similarly, what story are you telling? If the viewer must ask, you have missed the boat... Watch your background, & leading lines, as you want the viewer's eye drawn to your subject via shadows, color, lines, light, and / or composition...

Nov 02, 2012 at 10:03 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password