Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · NYT on roadrace/tri photographs

cocodrillo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NYT on roadrace/tri photographs

Just a little bit too true.... but how do you take stunning photos of 25,000 people with a bunch of shooters on close to minimum wage, if that?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/fashion/marathon-photos-often-fail-to-capture-the-glory.html?smid=pl-share

Sean

Nov 01, 2012 at 07:07 PM
Geo31
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NYT on roadrace/tri photographs

cocodrillo wrote:
Just a little bit too true.... but how do you take stunning photos of 25,000 people with a bunch of shooters on close to minimum wage, if that?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/fashion/marathon-photos-often-fail-to-capture-the-glory.html?smid=pl-share

Sean

Heh. Yeah. I'm always in the market for good photos of me from races. They usually suck. The real problem is it's a volume game. The shooters just concentrate on taking a large volume of images of as many people as possible. Hard to get decent images that way. I've had the two main agencies in my area approach me about shooting for them but I have no interest. I much prefer to shoot for quality, mainly shooting my friends, just for my enjoyment and theirs.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:54 AM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NYT on roadrace/tri photographs

Long ago the group I work with capped the size race we'd do at about 1,000 people, and that is really pushing it. We realized that we need quite a bit of separation between people to take a photo we are comfortable selling. Back when Brightroom paid 75/hr to fire and forget local races (and the US dollar was at 1.30 Canadian) all was cool. But now? Nope...

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:57 AM
BobMarkey

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NYT on roadrace/tri photographs

Brightroom pays between $30 and $50 per hour and more for leads. I've seen worse pay for photographers.

Nov 02, 2012 at 05:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CW100
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NYT on roadrace/tri photographs

cocodrillo wrote:

Sean

or free like that photo. - everyone has a camera these days

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NYT on roadrace/tri photographs

BobMarkey wrote:
Brightroom pays between $30 and $50 per hour and more for leads. I've seen worse pay for photographers.

Wow, much better than making a couple dollars per game.

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NYT on roadrace/tri photographs

Caleb Williams wrote:
Wow, much better than making a couple dollars per game.

Yes, but their pay goes by first click and last click. Does not include the photog meeting normally an hour plus before the event. Most events average 2.5 hours. And you may not be shooting all of that, as its up to the lead to decide when you are done.

And remember what is the cost of business that day when you are taking anywhere from 2-8000+ photos?

Nov 02, 2012 at 06:46 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NYT on roadrace/tri photographs

Brightroom has slashed pay by about half from when I shot for them. You're also going to slaughter your gear shooting to their terms and thus definitely need to be working in maintenance costs. A net to the photog of 30-50 is a living skilled wage, and many shooting these things are not engaged in a skilled exercise.

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:57 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password