FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hogback on Cordova

TerryCzap
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hogback on Cordova

Cordova Pass highway cuts through this hogback geological formation near Aguilar in Southeast Colorado, 20 miles off I-25, as seen during the last week of September. CC welcomed.

Terry

Edited on Nov 01, 2012 at 04:45 PM · View previous versions

Nov 01, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hogback on Cordova

Beautiful shot, nice colors and composition

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:58 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hogback on Cordova

Hey Terry,

Very nice work here. This sure reminds me of a place I went a few years back, though I don't think it was in SE Colorado... Hmmm... now you have my mind smoking as I try to figure out if this is where I was, or it was just a similiar location in Colorado... hmmm

Jim

Nov 01, 2012 at 11:56 AM
TerryCzap
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hogback on Cordova

Hi JIm,

This location is just off the flanks of the Spanish Peaks, a half hour north of the Colorado/New Mexico border. This highway connects I-25 with Highway 12, which is also known as the "Highway of Legends'.

Terry

Nov 01, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hogback on Cordova

Excellent scene! This is a cool place. I am guessing the rock formation is like a wall? If this was close to home I'd be returning often to shoot it!

Nov 01, 2012 at 04:15 PM
TerryCzap
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hogback on Cordova

Hello Scott,

Yes, this is a linear wall stretching for a number of miles. The area has numerous "stonewall" formations which center around the Spanish Peaks. Climbing the 13,626 ft. peak lets one see just how many walls there are. Geologist from around the world come to study these hogbacks.

The nearby town of "Stonewall" has a spectacular skeleton protruding from the ground (pic follows). Regular visits would probably be a good idea. It's a little over two hours away, and with so many sites to visit and shoot, I don't get there to often (bad gravel road as well).

Terry

Nov 01, 2012 at 04:34 PM
TerryCzap
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hogback on Cordova

I've added a second image of the highway/hogback, boosting the colors a bit. Is it to much?

Nov 01, 2012 at 04:48 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.