New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · TrekPak Backpack Organization System

talexander
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · TrekPak Backpack Organization System

So after being a KickStarter backer of TrekPak I finally got my Deuter Freerider Pro pack + insert. The idea behind TrekPak is to have dividers which use small pins to connect the sections. If you need to rearrange your gear, pack more or bring different gear you can easily slide the pins out, alter the configuration of the pack and get it all set quickly and easily.

It really is all they promise. Putting the pins in with the included sections was very simple and I was able to load my pack with D7000, 3 lenses, 2 flashes, chargers and rocket blower, remote and its all fit how exactly I want it. No annoying velcro that never stays just right, no obnoxious lengths set by the manufacturer.

I even initially had most of the lenses standing up but decided to lay them down and moving the pins/inserts to fit it was simple as could be and quick!

I'm pretty excited and knowing they offer pelican inserts and rollipak's to fit to your own bag. I was going to get rid of my flipside 300 but I may just buy a rollipak and retrofit it when I want to carry less!

http://www.trekpak.com if you want more info.

Tim

Oct 31, 2012 at 08:12 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · TrekPak Backpack Organization System

Thanks for the report! Will the bag fit an iPad? Also, how is the tripod carrying capability?

Nov 01, 2012 at 03:29 PM
talexander
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · TrekPak Backpack Organization System

I've fit my traveling CF tripod on the back and there is straps on bottom it can fit in but I'm not 100% sure on that one. The front pouch definitely big enough for iPad or laptop to fit into without any problem.

Here are some more pics.

Tim

Nov 01, 2012 at 06:18 PM
TheWengler
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · TrekPak Backpack Organization System

Certainly looks better than velcro

Nov 01, 2012 at 07:18 PM
EPSI
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · TrekPak Backpack Organization System

Mr Joe wrote:
Thanks for the report! Will the bag fit an iPad?

I was thinking of doing a review here as well...I haven't yet, so I thought I'd point out one thing in response to this. First, let me say that I think the bag itself is great, and that the TrekPak product is also really cool. I prefer it to velcro and think it's really slick. My only caveat would be that if your gear is big, I'm not certain that front pocket would fit an iPad.

I have a gripped 5D3 and an assortment of L and non-L lenses. Laying on its side, my camera is about 6" tall (mine is a bit more since I use a hand strap, but let's call it 6 inches). The dividers are only 3.75" tall, and they take up the entire storage "height" or thickness of the pack. There is a little bit of flex where the backpack can stretch, so I can get the zippers closed, but it's a tight fit. I mentioned this to TrekPak and they said the pack/zippers would stretch some over time. An additional problem with this is I just don't see any way to pack a spare gripped body (I could but it would really use up a lot of space since it would need to lay flat on its back). I could fit a non-gripped body as a spare, and maybe that will be my backup plan, but I just prefer to shoot gripped (and don't have two matching bodies to share one grip).

For my gear, this also means most of my medium-sized lenses that I would normally stand up between dividers in a bag are also taller than the dividers. Not as much as my camera, but still more than I'm used to or would typically allow in another bag configuration (my prior primary bag was a Crumpler Brian's Hot Tub which has some variability in depth due to its shape). Obviously, long lenses are placed lying down, but it feels like I'm wasting space when I lay these shorter lenses on their sides. So, it's a trade off of space versus my comfort level with stuff sticking above the dividers. I find that with hoods, my lenses (especially L lenses) just feel too wide (diameter) for this pack/system. Their product photos show three columns of gear, but when I put my 70-200 2.8 IS in the middle column (w/hood) it takes up a more than one third of the width of the bag. As a result, I moved one of the long dividers over to create a skinny column (fits a 580EX on its side plus other hoods that make my lenses too big to fit the other slots) and left two columns for lenses. I was expecting to fit three columns of lenses in, based on the pics.

Note that there is padding above/below your gear. So if you choose to have some sticking above the dividers it is protected by padding. After saying all that, I just stuck my iPad in the front pocket of the bag. It fits (and I have a Timbuktu stand/cover that is bulkier than many iPad covers). The pack is tall enough that I'm able to drop the iPad all the way down toward the bottom; since my 5D is pushing against the limits at the top end of the pack, it is not conflicting with the iPad. So - regardless of your gear you will likely be able to fit your iPad.

Now, I hope this doesn't come off negative because I don't mean it to be. And if TrekPak ever sees this, I hope they recognize it as constructive input and not whining. It's a new product that didn't have much spec info when I backed it on Kickstarter, so I took a gamble and wanted to support their innovation. I like all the components, I just wish there was an option for a deeper pack that would allow for deeper dividers (someone suggested fstop gear and I would totally agree). I think the pack is great if your usage or gear are a good fit for it. At the current time, I would recommend this for people who like to carry lighter gear and therefore don't use grips and maybe have smaller lenses (or just don't want to drag LOTS of bigger lenses with them). If the dividers/pack were 2" higher, I would probably be ecstatic about its functionality relative to my use (which is for an all around bag, not just for trekking/hiking where weight is a concern; I'm happy to schlep more than my back would prefer in order to have what I might need with me).

Nov 06, 2012 at 04:07 PM
talexander
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · TrekPak Backpack Organization System

Four months in and still loving my TrekPak btw, really great customization and the more I use it the more I enjoy it. Holds up really well and they have held up very well.

Tim

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · TrekPak Backpack Organization System

Looks like a great system that is easily configurable. I have a Pelican 1520, with foam, and have asked them for a quote on a system to fit it.

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:01 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · TrekPak Backpack Organization System

Ordered the TrekPak inserts for my Pelican 1520 today. It is not shown on their web site yet, but it is available and should be here this week. I feel sure there are other cases and backpacks that are not showing there yet also, so send them a note using their contact tab on TrekPak and see what they can do for you. I am really looking forward to the versatility this system offers.

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · TrekPak Backpack Organization System

TrekPak inserts came in today. These are really cool and so easy to configure, especially if your needs change. The tear out foam that came with the original worked fine, but once it's cut...

Mar 08, 2013 at 10:28 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · TrekPak Backpack Organization System

Has anyone tried the inserts with a Guragear Kiboko?

Mar 09, 2013 at 02:44 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.