Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Breaking in CF cards

Edward Castro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Breaking in CF cards

I know it's not a wise idea to buy a new CF card and use it for the first time on a wedding (at least that's my way of thinking regardless of brand). So I was wondering, what do you do to break them in? Just shoot a couple of shots, or do you use it for a bit of time on non critical pictures?

I'm getting ready to buy some CF cards and just wanted to hear some thoughts on the matter.

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:51 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Breaking in CF cards

take pics of your junk

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:54 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #3 · Breaking in CF cards

i usually take pictures of my junk.

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:57 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #4 · Breaking in CF cards

break in? really? Ive never heard of anyone "breaking in" CF cards. Just use em.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:01 PM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #5 · Breaking in CF cards

awad wrote:
i usually take pictures of my junk.

+1

Stuyou

p.1 #6 · Breaking in CF cards

I'm not sure I understand. There are no moving parts in a CF card, what is there to break in?

Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #7 · Breaking in CF cards

Well what I mean is making sure it's not DOA and also doesn't start acting up sometime later down the road, maybe a few weeks. I've read, no matter what brand, some will start to act up. So what I mean is do you take pictures with it a couple of weeks, perhaps of junk, or other items. Just to make sure.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:19 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #8 · Breaking in CF cards

Stuyou wrote:
I'm not sure I understand. There are no moving parts in a CF card, what is there to break in?

I take a bunch of photos, import them, format, take a bunch of photos, import and format. just to make sure the card isn't DOA.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:21 PM
swoop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Breaking in CF cards

There's no need to "break in" a CF card. It's not like some component that's going to be used under extreme voltages and heat. It just sits in your camera and holds photos.

Just put it in your camera, format it, take some pics of your dog and make sure it works.

If corruption is going to happen, it's going to happen down the road when you need it most. You can't predict it. Also solid state memory has a useful life period and the transistors break down after repeated use. But this is after THOUSANDS of read/write cycles. So it'll last for years even with daily professional use.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:45 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #10 · Breaking in CF cards

Robin Usagani wrote:
take pics of your junk

If you follow this advice, just make sure to delete them afterwards. When people take photos of their junk the photos tend to end up on the web. Just ask Brett Favre. [/troll]

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #11 · Breaking in CF cards

I know you can't predict it, and I also know it will eventually fail. But most fails are out of the package or just a couple of weeks after. Some people are getting to hung up on the word "break".

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Breaking in CF cards

since our cameras have dual card slots i dont do it anymore but i did test each new card before using it seriously

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:19 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Breaking in CF cards

Breaking in Flash memory.

If you just want to check the card for errors, fill it up with files at the computer. Then, format it. Done.

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:36 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Breaking in CF cards

I take pictures of boobies.

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:41 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Breaking in CF cards

I just use it...

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:41 PM
tdurnan
• • •
p.1 #16 · Breaking in CF cards

I just use them while taking pictures of my and other people's junk.

Nov 01, 2012 at 12:03 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Breaking in CF cards

I like to live dangerously. I will go to best buy, buy 2 32gig cards, pop them in my camera and then go rock a wedding.

Seriously I have. I was out of town, cards got damaged on flight to wedding. How I knew, we were out drinking and playing around at the beach the day before the wedding. Camera wouldnt take any pics. I freaked, got to best buy and first bought 2 cards. tried them in my camera and they worked. Thank god because they only stocked the low end cameras in store and no way in hell i was shooting a wedding with a d3000 if my camera was dead. lol

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:40 AM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #18 · Breaking in CF cards

Edward Castro wrote:
I know it's not a wise idea to buy a new CF card and use it for the first time on a wedding (at least that's my way of thinking regardless of brand). So I was wondering, what do you do to break them in? Just shoot a couple of shots, or do you use it for a bit of time on non critical pictures?

I'm getting ready to buy some CF cards and just wanted to hear some thoughts on the matter.

It's not an engine, there are no moving parts. You do not break in electronics.

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:11 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Breaking in CF cards

Scott Mosher wrote:
I take pictures of boobies.

I take pictures of scott's boobies

Nov 01, 2012 at 03:04 AM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #20 · Breaking in CF cards

I heard there was a thread about junk/boobie pictures.

I was not disappoint.

Wait. There are no pictures. Correction: SON, I AM VERY DISAPPOINT.

Nov 01, 2012 at 05:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password