Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Rusty's Sneer

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rusty's Sneer

Sorry, Kent
Maybe you prefer "Chevy Sneer"?

Wish it wasnt so tight on the left. Other thoughts?
Processed and OOC.

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2012

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF17-40mm f/4L USM lens    37mm    f/9.5    1/90s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rusty's Sneer

No worries ... that looks much better than my sneer.

Seems to have a bit of a blue-cyan cast though.

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rusty's Sneer

I would like to see this more straight on and cut out the background truck. Bothe of them I guess. I wish I had Kents eye for color casts. Never would have guessed.

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:05 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rusty's Sneer

thx Kent.
I kept looking at the tire, trying to decide if it was a color cast and whether it mattered.
What I didnt do is get some readings over the reflections in the window. Does the grass color seem off?
Were you going impressionistically or by some measurement?

Scott

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rusty's Sneer

Measurement.

Check the numbers in the blacks of the tires, the windshield rubber, the turn signal and the brace under the grill. None of those items would have any blue/cyan in them ... thus, since they all have some, it must be coming from the WB.

That's the clue that it's there, I then strive to bring them all closer to neutral ... then you can dial in as much or little of the correction / artistic rendering as you choose. But I always go to the numbers first.

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rusty's Sneer

Ok, I am following along here, I checked the tire and got 20,32,46

So how do you change it? One way I know is to go into curves, select the black eyedropper and set the color to 5,5,5 and then click the tire. But I am sure you have a more advanced method.

Inquiring minds want to know:-)

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:28 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rusty's Sneer

How about a little addition to the left? (Expand canvas, content aware fill, copy and paste, then some clone stamp to blend, refine and clean-up.) Maybe a little vignette and focused exposure bump to guide the eye and maybe a mid-tone bump.

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rusty's Sneer

Ben @ 20,32,46 ... I open up color balance

I select "Shadows" and then adjust sliders to equalize them.

I can decide to raise red and green to the level of blue, or I can reduce blue and green to the level of red, or I can bring red & blue to the level of green to bring them to neutral. The combinations are quite variable, and I make my decisions based on what tonal level I want to place that area @, as well as other portions of the scene ... i.e. differing casts that might appear in "mixed lighting" scenarios.

Conversely, I will do the same for highlights, rarely do I use midtones. It's not exactly formulaic as the relationships of "push/pull" that are rendered in "shadows" effects midtones and highlights to varying degree. The same applies to mids, and highs, so it includes a degree of iterative process ... not quite the same as "click here WB", but it affords you a different degree of control.

When I'm looking for casts ... I try to find three or four areas that I'm fairly certain that they should be neutral, or at least should NOT have a given/suspected cast. If they all exhibit the same imbalance, i.e. all high in blue, then it speaks to a cast.

I don't necessarily trust a single location to be indicative of a cast, and even when a cast does exist in an area, I have to be sure to understand if it is a localized cast (i.e. reflecting green off the grass) or a global cast that is effecting all areas, from shadows to highlights. Studying the orientation of the lighting and knowing the time of day and lighting conditions is another piece of the puzzle to consider. as well.

How much to correct or leave in is of course subjective (easy @ opacity) ... but, anyway, that's how I go 'bout it.

Nov 01, 2012 at 01:14 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rusty's Sneer

Thanks, I will need to get into Photoshop and find out what you are talking about with some hands on. This is great stuff.

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:05 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rusty's Sneer

nice Karen

Scott

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:28 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password