Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Alex Mody

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Hi everybody,

This is my first time posting here on Fred Miranda. I just got around to processing my photos from Zion last year, so I figured I would share a few of them! It is pretty cool being able to post more than one image here.

Anyhow, I'd love to know what any of you think. These images are the result of a few days of donning a drysuit and trudging upriver through unseasonably high water levels. I loved the reflected light in the Narrows, and I hope to return next year.

Thanks for looking!

www.alexmody.com

Cottonwood Row

Wall Street II

The Secret

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:39 AM
lgatlin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Beautiful, well composed photos with the perfect light. Thanks for sharing!
Lonnie

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:15 AM
Zeph
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Hey Alex, good to see your work here...
Yea "trudging" is a good description, Of the three, I'm really liking the Wall Street shot, it draws my eye though the image and the tonal range seems to work the best. I do think faster shutter might have made the water more interesting on all three.

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:39 AM
jleom
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Very, very nice Alex. I love the reflected light.
They really get me excited as I'll be there next week.

Thank you for sharing.

Leo

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:39 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Fantastic shots Alex. First one is my favorite. I really enjoyed my time with you last November. We should do it again.
Harsha

Oct 31, 2012 at 09:03 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Hi Alex,

Very cool shots here. #1 is my favorite. You really captured the light well here.

Jim

Oct 31, 2012 at 09:23 AM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

These are stunning!! Awesome light.
I like the last one best!

Ute

Oct 31, 2012 at 09:40 AM
photomandave
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Hey Alex

Nice work you have year. I think #3 is my favorite of the bunch. The warm light reflecting off the water is very nice.

David

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:40 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

This is a great set. Great color, water dynamics.
My favorite is #4

Dan

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:08 PM
astrodave
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

I really like the colors and sense of motion in all of these. Great set!

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:16 PM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Love #1 and #2... really pull you into the photo!

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:35 PM
war72
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Very nice set..
One question, I dont know how to swim, and I am short (about 5'5"). Can I attempt the Narrows, or is it too dangerous!!

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:42 PM
Alex Mody

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

war72 wrote:
Very nice set..
One question, I dont know how to swim, and I am short (about 5'5"). Can I attempt the Narrows, or is it too dangerous!!

Yes, you can attempt the Narrows! If you're going any time of year other than summer, the water will be cold and you'll need to rent a drysuit from a local outfitter. You will also need dry bags for your equipment. There are only a few deeper spots. When I visited last year, if I remember correctly, the water flow was as high as 105cfs, and the deepest spots I encountered were about four feet deep. Good luck!

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Alex Mody

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

harshaj1 wrote:
Fantastic shots Alex. First one is my favorite. I really enjoyed my time with you last November. We should do it again.
Harsha

Thanks Harsha! I enjoyed it too and would love to do it again. You know where to find me!

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Justin Berman
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Alex Mody wrote:
Yes, you can attempt the Narrows! If you're going any time of year other than summer, the water will be cold and you'll need to rent a drysuit from a local outfitter. You will also need dry bags for your equipment. There are only a few deeper spots. When I visited last year, if I remember correctly, the water flow was as high as 105cfs, and the deepest spots I encountered were about four feet deep. Good luck!

Can you tell me which dry bags you bought? I head to Utah to Zion on saturday, and I am clueless about whether i should bring a dry bag for each individual lens, or just one big one for everything? (I have an fstopgear ICU that I could just place inside a duffel and then put that duffel inside my backpack.

Thanks!

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:58 PM
Alex Mody

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Hi Justin,

Sure. I don't use an F-stop ICU - I have a product like THIS for each of my lenses and body. I only brought my 14-24 and 24-70mm lenses with me, so I put each lens in its case, wrapped up my body in a similar case, and put them inside of this drybag. Then, I put the dry bag inside of my technical hiking pack, and hiked as I would if there were no water at all. My bag got wet, but I felt like that method was a good compromise between convenience and keeping my gear safe. I don't know what the water flow is now, but it was high last year, and the water was only deep enough to submerge part of my bag twice.

Look around, and you can find a dry bag that is the right size for your ICU. I believe all of the outfitters in Zion rent them as well. Good luck!

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:08 PM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Sweet stuff

Oct 31, 2012 at 08:00 PM
Jred
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Three wonderful shots.

John

Oct 31, 2012 at 09:59 PM
Langran
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

The light makes these great - nice and warm. The gold in the water in 3 is awesome but I think 1 has to be my favourite. Green of the trees really sets off the colours. When I went I wasn't quite so lucky (partly due to time of day as well I assume).

If anyone is attempting the narrows here's my take on it:
If you take it slow and steady you'll be fine. I just wrapped my camera multiple times in bags etc inside my camera bag inside my rucksack which I held above my head on deep parts (not actually that regular). If it took a quick dunk it would survive. If it took anything worse it would be because I was much worse and the camera wouldn't be my concern.
Deepest part I got to was about 5ft 8" ish, that was July this year. I did go a reasonable distance in though. I can't really swim and don't really like water but didn't find the experience scary except from a falling over and drenching gear perspective.
WEAR GOOD SHOES! and pick up a (walking) stick (people normally leave them by the entrance) if you don't already have one

Nov 01, 2012 at 03:25 AM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Zion National Park - Virgin Narrows!

Very nice set. I like them all.

Nov 01, 2012 at 10:20 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.