New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Metallic papers

JameelH
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Metallic papers

Starting to experiment with black and white printing. I was thinking of using metallic papers. I am looking for some opinions on what papers bring out the tones and contrast of black and white prints best. I am not looking for matt papers at all - atleast for now. I have not used any metallic papers so far. So looking for help on deciding both the type of paper as well as specific brands.

I am printing on Epson R3000, by the way with K3 inks.

thanks

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:21 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Metallic papers

Here is a discussion on the Luminous Landscape Printing forum that you might like:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=64350.0

In brief, there appear to be fewer metallic papers than there are rebranded versions of the Mitsubishi metallic paper. Atlex has several materials, including their own rebranding of the Mitsubishi product. I'll go on record saying that I like my results on the Mitsubishi paper, but haven't yet tried the more unusual Atlex media that require solvent spray protection because of surface fragility.

Worth trying samples, I'd say. Atlex has a nice sampler pack.

John Caldwell

Oct 31, 2012 at 09:46 AM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Metallic papers

I've been using Inkpress metallic glossy. They have a metallic satin also. I haven't tried black and white though as I've been told the metallic paper is more for color pop and that it does. It makes some of my images depending on how I shot them look 3d. I am going to try red river next.

Nov 01, 2012 at 07:16 AM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Metallic papers

The right kind on B&W content can be quite great on metallics. The principle is, in my opinion, that the reflective deep metallic layer is only revealed when what overlies it (pigment ink) is of reduced opacity. Given that heavy deposition of pigment ink would be pretty opaque, but that light ink deposition is of reduced opacity, one finds the most "metallic drama" in high hey areas. The papers, as an aside, do seem to offer decent Dmax and gamut, unrelated to metallic character. So the right image can render with good combinations of color pop, blacks, and the appearance of depth that relates to the areas where less pigment is laid down.

The above Luminous Landscape thread offers a better discussion of this than I'm able to, in case you are interested.

John Caldwell

Nov 01, 2012 at 08:47 AM
JameelH
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Metallic papers

Thanks for the LL link, John. I read through the entire discussion. I'll try to get a couple of samples and play with it with some images I have in mind.

Nov 01, 2012 at 09:28 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Metallic papers

One thing about metal papers with B&W is that some of them have a cast / tone to them. Finding a neutral one is something to watch for. Sorry I don't have a recommendation, but I have noted the different offerings @ aluminum for more pop vs. more neutral ... so I would anticipate that the same exists in metal papers ... I just haven't found one yet.

I don't do a lot of B&W printing, but the few metal papers I've tested on B&W ... matte paper wound up in the frame, not the metal.

Nov 01, 2012 at 09:55 AM
cogard
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Metallic papers

I use this http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/66lb-polar-pearl-metallic-inkjet-photo-paper.html and love it

Charlie O.

Nov 20, 2012 at 09:35 PM

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Metallic papers

i get images printed sometimes on Kodak endura mettalic. thoughi have to choose the images carefully.

s

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.