Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sunrise from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park

zippylock
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunrise from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park

Hey Guys,
Haven't posted in a while, but i have been working on my shots from my week trip to Acadia National Park a couple weeks ago.

This shot was taken with my D700 and 24-70 F2.8 after trying to find something creative in the pitch black. I didn't want to just have your typical sun over water shot i see all over google (not that its a bad thing). The week was overall poor due to rainy weather, but i think i captured something good here...

so, without more words from me:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8184/8139712935_11b4c645d2_b.jpg

I took about 20 different exposures since i planned going HRD, haha, but due to my lack of Pshop skills, i didn't know how to do that with a RAW file. So, this picture above was all edited and saved from one original file. The dynamic range of the D700 still blows me away!

Anyways, please leave some C&C for me. Im really trying to make this shot work for all its worth, so im looking for all your help to see if there are parts that can be improved . This is what i have found to be the best in my eyes for now...

Thanks for looking
~ Chris

Oct 30, 2012 at 03:41 PM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunrise from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park

Chris... I was up there on 10/21 but on that occasion the clouds rolled in over the top of the mountain right before sunrise. I had to settle for some of that lovely red ground cover and the "foggy" landscape.

I like how you handled the sun in this one, and even though the shadows were was still probably pretty deep at this time of the morning, I wouldn't mind just a tad more detail in the foreground rocks. Don't you just love those big slabs of granite

Oct 30, 2012 at 07:57 PM
zippylock
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunrise from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park

David Patterson wrote:
Chris... I was up there on 10/21 but on that occasion the clouds rolled in over the top of the mountain right before sunrise. I had to settle for some of that lovely red ground cover and the "foggy" landscape.

I like how you handled the sun in this one, and even though the shadows were was still probably pretty deep at this time of the morning, I wouldn't mind just a tad more detail in the foreground rocks. Don't you just love those big slabs of granite

Yeah, that was what i originally went for, and then decided to go darker. Would being able to see the rock help? i can push quit a bit more, i didn't know where that 'line' is though...

this is a quick edit with black lightened a little more so the rocks show a little better? is this what you mean? or do you mean to really bring them out? (meaning i should learn to do the HDR i have the exposures for).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8466/8139528304_c89189c456_b.jpg

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:39 AM
mike717
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunrise from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park

I like your take on this Chris (the second is an improvement IMHO). An interesting choice of composition.

Mike

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:52 AM
David Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunrise from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park

Chris... yes, that's what I meant. Just a little more detail without making it look too funky. Nice.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:23 AM
zippylock
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunrise from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park

^ OK, thanks!

Nov 03, 2012 at 07:42 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.