Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Please choose your favorite: "Geometric"

Johnny B Goode
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Please choose your favorite: "Geometric"

IMG_5491 by ianhanson, on Flickr

A friend and my monthly photo competition (all in the name of fun). Please choose "left" or "right" to help choose a 'winner'. Bear in mind things such as composition, image quality, 'Wow' factor, story-telling, and the ability to adhere to the monthly theme.

Thank you

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:17 AM
robertjm
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Please choose your favorite: "Geometric"

No question in my mind, the right one!

The wow factor of the light is night and day above any geometric-sity of the first

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:22 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Please choose your favorite: "Geometric"

The second is an unusual and bit surprising choice for geometric. It certainly stands out for those rectilinear rays.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Please choose your favorite: "Geometric"

The rays are cool and a rare find ... so they easily get the "wow" vote.

The building has many more geometric elements to it. At first glance, I'm a bit put off by it being so obviously askew. However, even though it is leaning/keystoning, the direction of it provides some leading lines. Also, the shapes of the light/shadows help guide the eye. Whether I come into the frame from the lower left or the lower right, my eye moves "up & in" or "in & up".

For me, the left provides an image of study, the right an image to "look at" as once I get past the initial "whoa, check that out", my eye goes rather static. In the left, the variance of tonal values and lines provide movement that lasts longer than the rays do. They image on the right, grabs me much harder at the clouds central highlights, then the rays push me out / diverge my eye. One pulls me in, the other pushes me out.

IQ is kinda tough to gauge at this size, but I think the tonal values of the left tip the scale here for me as well. And for story-telling, neither are particularly strong, but I can fabricate more of a historical story telling of a teacher/parent trying to teach a child to "see the flag, way up there, on top" patriotic kind of thing. For the rays, despite my love of God and His light, they put me in an "explanation" mode rather than a story telling mode (if that makes any sense).

When I ask myself the "What's the point" / "What is the message that you want to convey to your viewer?" ... I keep coming up with "Look at those cool rays." vs. "See the flag, way up there."

Wow, factor and cool capture go to the right.
But for most everything else, I'm going left.

I realize that many will think ... you can shoot that building any day, the rays were a once in a lifetime (or at least very rare / hard to find) kinda shot. This is likely true, but I find the intent behind the left image more prevalent than the fortuitous or serendipitous occurrence of the right (although I agree we make our own luck by the efforts we put forth to even be there). I think the left image was no accident or luck at how these lines are "in play" with the flag, but rather an intentional effort to incorporate geometric precision to drive the viewer toward a very specific point. If it wasn't by intent, then the alignment is even more fortuitous than the rays.

I see one as a creation of an image, the other reminiscent as a captured image of the light that God created. One was the invention of the photographer, the other a capture of the invention of God. If I'm judging who is the better inventor, God wins hands down. If I'm judging which image was better created by the photographer to showcase the theme of geometry, the building/flag calls to me more. Ask me which one I think makes for a better "wall hanger" and the answer might not be the same ... likely depending on which wall we're talking about. Also, I'm wonder if different processing would benefit the rays image.

I might feel different if they were in color ... but as is (geometric theme) ... my vote is for the flag.

Edited on Oct 31, 2012 at 02:08 PM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BeaverMan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Please choose your favorite: "Geometric"

i like them both but the second one gets my vote

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:06 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Please choose your favorite: "Geometric"

I like Kents analysis as usual. The second would get my vote in color, but not B&W.

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Please choose your favorite: "Geometric"

Thank you all for the comments, please keep them coming. And especially thank you RustyBug for the expert critique. For the purpose of viewing higher resolutions of the photos:

IMG_5491 by Pete the Irish Guy, on Flickr

20120906-untitled shoot001 by Pete the Irish Guy, on Flickr

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:34 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password